Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Jose Barea's display open more RR faithful to Kemba?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running the point is perhaps (IMO) the most difficult position to play. The fact that everyone seems 50/50 on Kemba should illustrate that he's no sure lock to become a top tier PG. If he was destined for greatness, he'd be a lot higher on the draft boards. However, that doesn't mean he can't be great. I just think it's a crap shoot with him.
    Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      Then I really have no idea what your point is.
      not limited role because of size is how it started -other points rounded out the topic. If u dont get my point by now I think you arw just being argumentative because you want to draft someone else partifcularily a eurobig
      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
        If you look at Paul's pre-draft measurements and Walker's pre-draft measurements in addition to their combine results, they're awfully similar.
        Isn't Kemba 22 and how old was Paul when he was measured? I doubt Kemba will grow more physically than what his is now.

Comment

There is a possibility that Barea's performance could increase Kemba's draft stock, but imo it shouldn't for the Raptors. If you are a playoff team in need of a good 6th man to come off the bench and provide scoring punch then Kemba shows the potential to do so a la Ben Gordon. But a team like the Raptors that are in need of starters have got to go for the sure thing or as close to the a sure thing as possible. If they can't move the pick to acquire the sure thing then Kemba is certainly a better option than anyone else projected to be available at the 5 spot.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
            not limited role because of size is how it started -other points rounded out the topic. If u dont get my point by now I think you arw just being argumentative because you want to draft someone else partifcularily a eurobig
            I'm not purposely being argumentative. When I showed that Barea was a player with limited minutes, you seemed to changed the point of your argument. Was Barea limited due to his height? Who knows, but MY point is that Barea is not a good reason to change your mind about Kemba because a) he's a lmited role player and b) he's nothing like Kemba.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Paul entered at age 20. So too did Rondo. Walker is entering at age 21. Most guys aren't growing at age 20 anyway. This doesn't matter at all though because Walker is around their height right now so whenever they measure, who cares? I've said it many times, if the only thing you have against a player is his height, which in this case isn't an issue to begin with, then maybe you should go back to the lab and reassess why you're on the offense?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Paul entered at age 20. So too did Rondo. Walker is entering at age 21. Most guys aren't growing at age 20 anyway. This doesn't matter at all though because Walker is around their height right now so whenever they measure, who cares? I've said it many times, if the only thing you have against a player is his height, which in this case isn't an issue to begin with, then maybe you should go back to the lab and reassess why you're on the offense?
                tell that to Tim

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  I wasn't on the offense, and think he will be a fine player, but I also feel that size plays a role in the type of career he'll have. For every Isah Thomas and Allen Iverson that comes along there are many more Aron Brooks' and Earl Boykins. Because how he'll pan out in the NBA is the great unknown factor I prefer to play the odds that a promising player like Knight who has the size to succeed be our pick as opposed a promising player like Walker who will have to overcome the size factor be our pick. I really don't know what Walkers measuements are, but my understanding is that he is under 6 feet without shoes. Hey, if he comes to Toronto and plays well I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but I prefer to play the odds and the odds are against him being a legit starting pg.

Comment

I'm not sure how Earl Boykins enters into the conversation. Anyway, Aaron Brooks, is who he is because of his game, not because of his size. Would he be better if he were bigger? Probably but that's because his abilities are lacking to some degree. If you have great abilities and your style suits your size then you'll be an effective player. There is such a thing as "too small for your game", no doubt about it. There is also such a thing as "too big for your game" as well. Examples of players in this category would be Bargnani and Frye. They struggle with aspects of their position because their game doesn't suit their size. Kemba Walker's game does suit his size. There are lots of guys in the league today around his size who are successful. Two of them are arguably the top two PGs in the league, Chris Paul and Rajon Rondo.

What do we know about Kemba Walker?
                    • He's a good kid, never been in trouble.
                    • He's a proven leader.
                    • He always listens to his coach's directions.
                    • He values defense, works hard at it and it's a personal barometer for himself.
                    • He's fast and athletic.
                    • He's aggressive and not afraid of contact.
                    • He isn't scared of pressure situations.
                    • He has a positive uplifting presence on the court.
                    • He's a proven winner.
                    • He's not a big PG but his size won't limit his ability to stay on the court as his size is not uncommon.
                    • He needs to work on his jumper.

Do you feel when you watch Chris Paul play or Rajon Rondo play that they are "overcoming" their size? I'm willing to bet you don't even think about their size when you watch them play. Why? Because they're really good players. They're not overcoming their size because it's not an issue for them to begin with. A lot of people around here are overrating the size topic. If the guy is 5'8" then it's an issue because there aren't a lot of players who have proven they can compete at that height but when you're talking 6'0'-6'1" there is huge group of good examples. Three inches isn't going to mean much in three years time if Knight isn't able to grow an NBA game. Kemba Walker already has an NBA game.

Comment

All of your points are valid. My point is that how a player translates to the NBA is an unknown factor or otherwise Kemba would be a sure first or second pick in this years draft as "it's a point guards league" is the common phrase coming out of everyones mouth these days. And just as you've listed all those intangibles which he posesses are an advantage you don't know that it will carry over at the NBA level. They can only be used to make an educated guess. I look at his size and see a distinct disadvantage. Yes, a player like Paul or Rondo succeed despite being smaller pg's coming out of college but they are the rare case.

Comment

i think the moral of the story is Kemba's going to be a player. if you don't like him, fine, but if you think he's not going to be good you're delusional.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I agree, he will be a good player, but I think long term he will not be a starter (again, I'm glad to be wrong if the Raptors chose the guy).

Comment

Why do you feel he will not be a starter?

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              tell that to Tim
                              At what point did I say that any of my main issues with Kemba was his height? Holy crap. Do you people even READ comments?
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                                i think the moral of the story is Kemba's going to be a player. if you don't like him, fine, but if you think he's not going to be good you're delusional.
                                Why?
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X