Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Jose Barea's display open more RR faithful to Kemba?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also don't mean any offense, but that's the gayest trophy I've ever seen.

Comment

Who are these Kemba and JJ players you speak of?
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
        I also don't mean any offense, but that's the gayest trophy I've ever seen.
        none taken, even though I doubt that trophy has a sexual preference for trophies of the same gender, that is a very dainty statue. when i looked at it again i laughed.

"They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

perhaps I'm too risk averse, but I've finally decided what my draft preference is
          Irving
          Williams
          Kemba
          Kanter
          Lenard
          Knight

I'm not big on Knight, he didn't really impress me when I watched him and although all he seems to have a hire ceiling then kemba I'd rather have Kemba as a teammate. But that's just me.
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I think Jose Barea will open up the doors for Isaiah Thomas, who is 5'9". He is projected to be drafted at the bottom end of the 2nd round, but the little dude had the best all around results at the combine. He has more than a 40" vertical and is lightning fast.
            Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

...Guys, Barea isn't the first guy with average height to perform in the league. He's not opening the door for anybody. Come on now, let's not get carried away.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                ...Guys, Barea isn't the first guy with average height to perform in the league. He's not opening the door for anybody. Come on now, let's not get carried away.
                Although I could go back further or in different directions...check out this guy from the 80's/'90's, he does not get much hype, but he had some solid years. http://www.nba.com/historical/player...=michael_adams
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                  How does a good backup point guard performing well in a few playoff games increase Walker's stock? If anything, I'd imagine this (i.e. good backup point guard on a contending team) is a comparison you'd want to avoid.

As always, how does any player's performance or success affect another's future career? Does Nowitzki being Finals MVP improve Bargnani's perception?
                  well I think it goes a long way to dispelling the notion that there is a ceiling for the role of smaller players.
                  "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                    well I think it goes a long way to dispelling the notion that there is a ceiling for the role of smaller players.
                    Barea's ceiling seems to be a 20 mpg player, or at least that what he played during the regular season and in the playoffs. How does that dispel the notion?
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      Barea's ceiling seems to be a 20 mpg player, or at least that what he played during the regular season and in the playoffs. How does that dispel the notion?
                      he was an integral spoke and a starter for a championship team.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                        Although I could go back further or in different directions...check out this guy from the 80's/'90's, he does not get much hype, but he had some solid years. http://www.nba.com/historical/player...=michael_adams
                        How about former Raptors ROY Damon Stoudamire? Former league scoring champion and MVP Allen Iverson?

Comment

he was an integral spoke and a starter for a championship team.
                          He was a starter for 5 games. For the ENTIRE season, including the playoffs. And it just so happens that he matched up well against Miami, because they didn't have a PG who would punish his lack of defense. I'm guessing he wouldn't have been so integral against Chicago or Boston. Of the 21 playoff games Dallas played, Barea played at least 20 minutes only 6 times, and only 3 times did he play more than 25 minutes.

Now I'm not bashing the guy, because I think he's a decent player, but I think you vastly over estimate his impact, not only on the rest of the league, but on Dallas. For the playoffs, he averaged 8.9 ppg, on .419 shooting, and 3.4 apg. Hardly numbers that makes one stand up and take notice.

If Kemba's ceiling is the same as Barea's (which I'm not saying is true), then there's no way in hell I'd want to take him with the 5th pick in the draft. And as others have noted, Barea's not even a trailblazer for the height impaired. Mugsy Bogues, Spud Webb, Michael Adams, Tim Hardaway, Dana Barros, Kenny Anderson, Mark Price, Damon Stoudamire, Terrell Brandon and Calvin Murphy all are guys who were most likely under 6 feet and had better careers than Barea. And I didn't even mention guys like Iverson and Chris Paul.

I probably wouldn't take Kemba at 5, but his lack of height is barely on the radar for why.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            He was a starter for 5 games. For the ENTIRE season, including the playoffs. And it just so happens that he matched up well against Miami, because they didn't have a PG who would punish his lack of defense. I'm guessing he wouldn't have been so integral against Chicago or Boston. Of the 21 playoff games Dallas played, Barea played at least 20 minutes only 6 times, and only 3 times did he play more than 25 minutes.

Now I'm not bashing the guy, because I think he's a decent player, but I think you vastly over estimate his impact, not only on the rest of the league, but on Dallas. For the playoffs, he averaged 8.9 ppg, on .419 shooting, and 3.4 apg. Hardly numbers that makes one stand up and take notice.

If Kemba's ceiling is the same as Barea's (which I'm not saying is true), then there's no way in hell I'd want to take him with the 5th pick in the draft. And as others have noted, Barea's not even a trailblazer for the height impaired. Mugsy Bogues, Spud Webb, Michael Adams, Tim Hardaway, Dana Barros, Kenny Anderson, Mark Price, Damon Stoudamire, Terrell Brandon and Calvin Murphy all are guys who were most likely under 6 feet and had better careers than Barea. And I didn't even mention guys like Iverson and Chris Paul.

I probably wouldn't take Kemba at 5, but his lack of height is barely on the radar for why.
                            1) kemba and Berea are apples and oranges outside of size and speed.
                            2) I think JJ has grown up through out the course of the year - I think he will improve on those numbers even further next year.
                            3) Kemba brings a lot more championship pedigree/promise into the league and has more upside that JJB.
                            4) Kemba has an outside chance to be something special more than a contributing rotation player. His upside is hard to gauge but I would not be shocked if he had better Rookie years than Knight and Irving.

lastly BC has a 2 year window to make something happen - Kemba is the guy / the swagger / the resume / the leadership

Comment

1) kemba and Berea are apples and oranges outside of size and speed.
                              2) I think JJ has grown up through out the course of the year - I think he will improve on those numbers even further next year.
                              3) Kemba brings a lot more championship pedigree/promise into the league and has more upside that JJB.
                              4) Kemba has an outside chance to be something special more than a contributing rotation player. His upside is hard to gauge but I would not be shocked if he had better Rookie years than Knight and Irving.

lastly BC has a 2 year window to make something happen - Kemba is the guy / the swagger / the resume / the leadership
                              Then I really have no idea what your point is. You seem to have started the thread because you felt that Barea playing the way he did may have changed them minds of Raptor fans about Kemba. My argument was that Barea was not nearly as good or important as you're giving him credit for, and that he's not the first (or even close to best) sub-6 foot player to make an impact in the league. I also said that I didn't think that Barea and Kemba were really comparable.

If you don't think that Kemba and Barea are comparable, then why bring Barea up?

As for Kemba, I've seen loads of players just like Kemba come into the league and fail (or at least not flourish). Rumeal Robinson, Greg Anthony, Lee Mayberry, Bobby Hurley, Mateen Cleeves and DJ Augustin all were similar players with similar resume, swagger and leadership abilities. Now, I'm not saying Kemba is going to have a similar career, but what you've done in the NCAA only takes you so far. And in the end it means very little in the NBA. Those intangibles that Kemba has are great, but I question whether he's a) a true PG b) whether he can be effective when he's not dominating the ball and shooting and c) whether he has the ability to make his teammates better. None of what he has done in college answers.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

haven't really read the thread, but while barea is my dude, his production was more due to the matchup. carlisle is a master at substitutions and always seems to win the majority of matchups. there was no one on the team that could stay in front of barea and he did his thing.

if they played a team with better defensive guards, i doubt he plays more than 7-9 minutes a game.

if we're drafting a pg at #5, weak draft or not, he better be more than a change-of-pace depth dude.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X