Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Could Ed Davis be our Tyson Chandler?

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Could Ed Davis be our Tyson Chandler?

If Casey is made our head Coach, do you think we could use Ed Davis the same way that the Mavs have used Tyson Chandler?
    I have always been against Ed Davis being moved to the five as I think he has a lot more potential at the four but he is actually about the same size a chanldler and has a very similar skill set. If BC intends to bring Casey in to implement a defense similar to what the Mavs used to beat the Heat, the main things we would be lacking are elite level defenders at the three and five. If Ed Davis puts on the weight he said he would and James Johnson takes a step forward defensively, I think that our current roster may be able to make a fairly significant improvement defensively under Casey. We obviously wouldn't be as good as the Mave as Dirk is so much better than Bargs at both ends it hurts, but we may be able to implement a similar game plan and have some success.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

I think people underestimate how long Tyson Chandler is, he is 6'11.5" in flat feet, 7'1" in shoes, he is a legit 7 footer. Ed may put on the weight and has good length, but he is not all that close to being the same size as Tyson. Saying that is like saying Demar is actually about the same size as Kevin Durant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I think people underestimate how long Tyson Chandler is, he is 6'11.5" in flat feet, 7'1" in shoes, he is a legit 7 footer. Ed may put on the weight and has good length, but he is not all that close to being the same size as Tyson. Saying that is like saying Demar is actually about the same size as Kevin Durant.
    I thought the same thing at first but if you check Draft Express you'll see Chandler actually only has a 2" standing reach advantage on Davis. Given that Chandler's wingspan likely hasn't increased too much and that Ed has a better vertical leap, I think that they are actually very simialar in terms of their ability to alter shots and defend.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ed-Davis-1354/
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...er-1974/stats/
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    I thought the same thing at first but if you check Draft Express you'll see Chandler actually only has a 2" standing reach advantage on Davis. Given that Chandler's wingspan likely hasn't increased too much and that Ed has a better vertical leap, I think that they are actually very simialar in terms of their ability to alter shots and defend.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ed-Davis-1354/
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...er-1974/stats/
    i totally agree, no one cares about height anymore. its abuot standing reach and vertical. look at all the biyombo hype. Bismack biyombo is only 6'9 but his standing reach could make him a solid center. if jermaine oneal played PF/C i see no reason ed couldnt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Chandler is phenomenal at helping his guards. His hedging is amongst the best in the league, is a very capable pick 'n roll defender, and has excellent recoverability on defense. He's also active and uses his body very when challenging shots. The rebounding goes without saying.

Ed Davis has a while to go before he becomes even close to a defender as Chandler, and it's not Davis' lack of physical ability that will prevent him from becoming so. Fans always talk about "decision making" relating to offense, but the same applies on defense as well and that's where Davis has to grow (which I think he will). If he develops his defensive IQ, there's no reason to believe he won't be a defensive stalwart.

For completeness, Davis is already a much better offensive player than Chandler.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ya i think ed would play well at the 5 spot. he has the length and will hopefully gain the weight to play the 5 spot and move amir into the starting line up at the four and dorsey can back him up.

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    ya i think ed would play well at the 5 spot. he has the length and will hopefully gain the weight to play the 5 spot and move amir into the starting line up at the four and dorsey can back him up.
    As of right now Ed was getting bodied at the 4 so the 5 isn't an option. His help defense is great with excellent timing but this isn't enough for him to play the 5. He would get backed under the net every possession and he sitting on the bench in foul trouble. Let the kid guard the 4 and have some time to put weight on (2 years minimal) before we start talking the 5 spot.
    As for the mention of Amir and Davis together starting and Dorsey backing them up not sure where your going to get scoring from and none of those 3 are lock down defenders so we'd lose the battle of the big's game in game out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    As of right now Ed was getting bodied at the 4 so the 5 isn't an option. His help defense is great with excellent timing but this isn't enough for him to play the 5. He would get backed under the net every possession and he sitting on the bench in foul trouble. Let the kid guard the 4 and have some time to put weight on (2 years minimal) before we start talking the 5 spot.
    As for the mention of Amir and Davis together starting and Dorsey backing them up not sure where your going to get scoring from and none of those 3 are lock down defenders so we'd lose the battle of the big's game in game out.
    Ed played the 5 this year already... why cant he play it more next year? not every team has a center big enough to back down Ed. still our best case scenario is kanter and davis with kanter at the 5.
    Last edited by pesterm1; Tue Jun 14th, 2011 at 06:30 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    Ed played the 5 this year already... why cant he play it more next year? not every team has a center big enough to back down Ed. still our best case scenario is kanter and davis with kanter at the 5.
    So did Dre whats your point? Because your listed there doesn't mean your good at it... I agree not every team has a big center but we was getting backed down by 4's let alone 5's. 4's such as Boozer, West, Z-Bo just quickly of the top of my head ate him in the post. Imagine him trying to guard guys like Dwight, Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert, Kaman or even someone like Duncan? Let the kid play the 4 and allow him to put weight on gradually allowing him to keep his quicks rather then piling weight on quickly.

As for the Kanter I'm not sure he's as sure a bet as many have said. The kid hasn't played in over a year and even in Europe it was only 18 games his last season (I may be wrong). He had an outstanding game at the Summit but is that enough to make him a sure thing? BC can't afford high risk with a 2 year contract so I could see him going Walker or even Leonard (to help our perimeter defense).

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Ed Davis ... Amir ... Even Dorsey gets mentioned ... Forgetting anyone?

As much as some people want it to happen, there is far from a guarantee that Bargs gets moved.

I think Ed Davis can be his own type of player, different from Tyson. Davis in his shortened rookie season showed great timing for shot blocking, control of his body, help defence awareness ... he even rolled-out an improved jumper.

I say, let's just enjoy watching him develop this year - and not try to compare him to a taller, skinnier player - with no offensive game.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Ed Davis can be a lot more than Tyson Chandler long term.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I think Ed Davis can be a lot more than Tyson Chandler long term.
    I agree: long terms Ed could be buch better than Chandler. However, if he plays like Chandler in this coming season I think you have to be happy with that.
    Also this is more about assessing whether or not Davis could play the same roll on defense as Chandler in Casey's scheme. I am not attempting to say that Ed Davis' should strive to be the next Chandler.
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see a Kanter and Davis pairing for the long term.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    that would be a a solid combo. and we would have 3 of our 5 positions secured. C, PF, SG

Post Thanks / Like

it's that time of year again. with the hopefulness comparisons.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Are we now convinced Kanter can play the 5?

Can Davis be Chandler? Who knows. All I want next season is for Ed to get big minutes and continue to improve on both ends. I'm not sure he can anchor a defense like Chandler but he can certainly be a very good defender if he wants to be one cause he has great instincts, a hig BB IQ, and the athleticism to translate his reads into plays. The other thing, though, is that everyone is obsessed with defense right now but Davis should also be working on adding two or three post moves and a steady 15 foot jumper to his game. If he can do that over the next couple years he will be a valuable piece, Chandler or not.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Are we now convinced Kanter can play the 5?
    Were we ever not? He's 6'11 and 260 lbs. I'm pretty sure he can play the 5.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Were we ever not? He's 6'11 and 260 lbs. I'm pretty sure he can play the 5.
    Chad Ford claims Cleveland is souring on Kanter and has them passing on him .. so you might actually get to see if Kanter can play the 5 in TO.

(Chad also has us passing on Kanter for Vesley .. so take it for what its worth) ..

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    Chad Ford claims Cleveland is souring on Kanter and has them passing on him .. so you might actually get to see if Kanter can play the 5 in TO.

(Chad also has us passing on Kanter for Vesley .. so take it for what its worth) ..
    Ford just ate Phil Jackson's last bag of peyote. That's why he's saying stupid shit like this.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mountio wrote: View Post

Is that in his latest mock draft? I don't see the Raptors passing on Kanter, quite frankly.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Thread Information