Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62

Thread: Could Ed Davis be our Tyson Chandler?

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    ya i think ed would play well at the 5 spot. he has the length and will hopefully gain the weight to play the 5 spot and move amir into the starting line up at the four and dorsey can back him up.
    Ed Davis ... Amir ... Even Dorsey gets mentioned ... Forgetting anyone?

    As much as some people want it to happen, there is far from a guarantee that Bargs gets moved.

    I think Ed Davis can be his own type of player, different from Tyson. Davis in his shortened rookie season showed great timing for shot blocking, control of his body, help defence awareness ... he even rolled-out an improved jumper.

    I say, let's just enjoy watching him develop this year - and not try to compare him to a taller, skinnier player - with no offensive game.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Or we can just compare everyone to the champs:

    Davis will be like Chandler
    Obviously Bargnani is our Dirk
    Barbosa is our Jet Terry
    Jose is our slow footed veteran PG like Kidd
    Kemba Walker will be our undersized lighting guard like Barea
    JJ is our tall, Marion-like point forward who can handle the ball
    Plus we have DeMAr instead of DeShawn ... better, but same naming convention of "DeSomething"
    Solo is our Mahimini ... Reggie our get in your face Brian Cardinal, who goes for the hard foul!
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Rookie KingRaptors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    True its too early to tell, but I'd rather see Ed become a "Joahkim Noah type a guy" annoying as hell on the court for the opposing team and a pesky rebounder

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Rookie Raúl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    182
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Valanciunas will be our Chandler! He's as long and with an entire offseason in the gym, he'll be that big too. He's a year away to contribue like Tyson, rebounding, help side D, interior D, and blockin. Plus, he's already better than him scoring inside

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Rookie BayCityBaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    An island in the Pacific
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Or we can just compare everyone to the champs:

    Davis will be like Chandler
    Obviously Bargnani is our Dirk
    Barbosa is our Jet Terry
    Jose is our slow footed veteran PG like Kidd
    Kemba Walker will be our undersized lighting guard like Barea
    JJ is our tall, Marion-like point forward who can handle the ball
    Plus we have DeMAr instead of DeShawn ... better, but same naming convention of "DeSomething"
    Solo is our Mahimini ... Reggie our get in your face Brian Cardinal, who goes for the hard foul!
    Now, either you play facetious very well, over-estimate all of our players or you have the most positive outlook on this board. I'm going for facetious, but some of those comparisons aren't ridiculously far off. The biggest difference is mental with most of these guys. Dre has a skill set to rival Dirk's. The biggest difference is Dirk is mentally tough and knows when to pick his spots. I truly don't think that Dirk is that much better defensively than Dre, but he and the Mavs coaching staff have figured out ways to mask this deficiency. Barbosa is a solid, fast, intelligent player, much like JET. Terry is more seasoned and loves the ball in clutch situations. Barbosa has the ability to disappear at times. Jose is a very, very bad comparison to Kidd. Kidd is amongst the top 5 PG's of all time. Jose is a foot note in NBA history. Kemba could be a good comparison to JJ. That has yet to be seen. JJ has the ability to be a Marion-like stopper, but Marion's offensive game is far more refined. Solo/ Mahinmi and Reggie/ Caretaker are both fair enough.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Were we ever not? He's 6'11 and 260 lbs. I'm pretty sure he can play the 5.
    Chad Ford claims Cleveland is souring on Kanter and has them passing on him .. so you might actually get to see if Kanter can play the 5 in TO.

    (Chad also has us passing on Kanter for Vesley .. so take it for what its worth) ..

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,969
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I would like to see a Kanter and Davis pairing for the long term.
    I just got a "basketball woodie".
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,969
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    Chad Ford claims Cleveland is souring on Kanter and has them passing on him .. so you might actually get to see if Kanter can play the 5 in TO.

    (Chad also has us passing on Kanter for Vesley .. so take it for what its worth) ..
    Ford just ate Phil Jackson's last bag of peyote. That's why he's saying stupid shit like this.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    Chad Ford claims Cleveland is souring on Kanter and has them passing on him .. so you might actually get to see if Kanter can play the 5 in TO.

    (Chad also has us passing on Kanter for Vesley .. so take it for what its worth) ..
    Is that in his latest mock draft? I don't see the Raptors passing on Kanter, quite frankly.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Guelph,ON
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    is there any updates on weight hes gained

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Or we can just compare everyone to the champs:

    Davis will be like Chandler
    Obviously Bargnani is our Dirk
    Barbosa is our Jet Terry
    Jose is our slow footed veteran PG like Kidd
    Kemba Walker will be our undersized lighting guard like Barea
    JJ is our tall, Marion-like point forward who can handle the ball
    Plus we have DeMAr instead of DeShawn ... better, but same naming convention of "DeSomething"
    Solo is our Mahimini ... Reggie our get in your face Brian Cardinal, who goes for the hard foul!
    Quote BayCityBaller wrote: View Post
    Now, either you play facetious very well, over-estimate all of our players or you have the most positive outlook on this board. I'm going for facetious, but some of those comparisons aren't ridiculously far off. The biggest difference is mental with most of these guys. Dre has a skill set to rival Dirk's. The biggest difference is Dirk is mentally tough and knows when to pick his spots. I truly don't think that Dirk is that much better defensively than Dre, but he and the Mavs coaching staff have figured out ways to mask this deficiency. Barbosa is a solid, fast, intelligent player, much like JET. Terry is more seasoned and loves the ball in clutch situations. Barbosa has the ability to disappear at times. Jose is a very, very bad comparison to Kidd. Kidd is amongst the top 5 PG's of all time. Jose is a foot note in NBA history. Kemba could be a good comparison to JJ. That has yet to be seen. JJ has the ability to be a Marion-like stopper, but Marion's offensive game is far more refined. Solo/ Mahinmi and Reggie/ Caretaker are both fair enough.
    I kind of like this game. Basically the Mavs are what we could be if everyone played to there potential. Bargs becomes the stretch big who makes the other team pay in crunch time, Ed Davis is an incredible defensive big with great instincts on the glass, Demar is a sniper who is also capable of slashng to the rim, James Johnson is a do it all small forward who can guard any three in the league, and Barbosa is already very simiar to Terry. Kidd is a hall of famer but he is also way out of his prime so the Jose comparison is not that rediculous. If you look at their stats, Jose actually had more assists and points per 36 than Kidd this year. The big differences are the fact Kidd rebounds like a sf and that he is a better defender but I think the comparison is not as crazy as it might seem at first glance.
    It's comments like this that get me kind of excited about the next couple seasons.
    Last edited by hateslosing; Thu Jun 16th, 2011 at 07:29 AM.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  12. #32
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kidd at 38 is a way better defender than Jose at 30. There is no comparison here in my opinion.

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Kidd at 38 is a way better defender than Jose at 30. There is no comparison here in my opinion.
    Jose is near the same level as kidd in terms of their current offensive abilities. Defensively, yes, Kidd is far better at 38 than Joe at 30 and is a better rebounder than two Jose's at any age. I'm just trying to say that Jose is a very good pass first point, just like Kidd, and if Jose had a full healthy season he may be able to work for us the same way Kidd did this year for the Mavs, just as a lighter version.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    I kind of like this game. Basically the Mavs are what we could be if everyone played to there potential. Bargs becomes the stretch big who makes the other team pay in crunch time, Ed Davis is an incredible defensive big with great instincts on the glass, Demar is a sniper who is also capable of slashng to the rim, James Johnson is a do it all small forward who can guard any three in the league, and Barbosa is already very simiar to Terry. Kidd is a hall of famer but he is also way out of his prime so the Jose comparison is not that rediculous. If you look at their stats, Jose actually had more assists and points per 36 than Kidd this year. The big differences are the fact Kidd rebounds like a sf and that he is a better defender but I think the comparison is not as crazy as it might seem at first glance.
    It's comments like this that get me kind of excited about the next couple seasons.
    It's comments like this that makes people think Raptor fans are delusional.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    It's comments like this that makes people think Raptor fans are delusional.
    Some of us like to be optimistic Mr. W. I have always found your rampant pessimism disturbing.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    Some of us like to be optimistic Mr. W. I have always found your rampant pessimism disturbing.
    I resent being called pessimistic about the team. I've consistently stated that I am hopeful for the future of the team, and that I like the way the team is being built. I was one of the most enthusiastic after the Raptors drafted Ed Davis. I never got on the bandwagon to fire Triano. When the team started slowly after the summer they signed Turkoglu, I tried to be the voice of reason and make everyone recall the same slow start the year they won 47 games. I refused to call for trades of players who had a few bad games in a row.

    Yet because I actually use my brain when I talk about the team you call me pessimistic? Give me a break.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  17. #37
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Jose Calderon is on a different planet than Jason Kidd, let alone being in the same sentence.

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I resent being called pessimistic about the team. I've consistently stated that I am hopeful for the future of the team, and that I like the way the team is being built. I was one of the most enthusiastic after the Raptors drafted Ed Davis. I never got on the bandwagon to fire Triano. When the team started slowly after the summer they signed Turkoglu, I tried to be the voice of reason and make everyone recall the same slow start the year they won 47 games. I refused to call for trades of players who had a few bad games in a row.

    Yet because I actually use my brain when I talk about the team you call me pessimistic? Give me a break.
    I call you pessimistic because you think it is delusional our team could eventually by as good as the Mavs. You consistently say your goal is to win a title but the minute someone says that they see some hope in our roster to contend you shoot it down. Maybe you didn't mean that you thought our players were incapable of getting that good and you were just irritated by the fact Bargs was still on the team in the post, I really don't know but if you think it is delusional to think that Ed Davis can be as good as Chandler defensively or that Demar can't become a better player than DeShawn Stevenson I think you are being pessimistic. I am optimistic about this rosters future and I think we have two or three players that will eventually be good enough to start on a contender. The fact you think that line of thought is delusional implies to me you are pessimistic about our future.

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Jose Calderon is on a different planet than Jason Kidd, let alone being in the same sentence.
    I challenge you Apollo to statistically prove with individual stats that Kidd is a million times better than Jose right. Here are a few fun ones:

    PER: Jose 15.65, Kidd 15.9
    Assists per 36: Jose 10.4, Kidd 8.9
    True shooting %: Jose 52.2, Kidd 50.0

    I can go on but I'll leave it to you. I'm not trying to say Jose is as good a player as Kidd. Kidd is a much better leader, defender and rebounder. I am just looking at one aspect of their game, offense, and saying Jose is in Kidd's league as of this year. Not last year or ten years ago, right now. I think you are getting caught up in the fact Kidd is a hall of famer and is one of the best points to ever play the game and losing sight of what I'm trying to say which is that right now Jose is as good as Kidd on offense. That is what I am trying to compare.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    I call you pessimistic because you think it is delusional our team could eventually by as good as the Mavs. You consistently say your goal is to win a title but the minute someone says that they see some hope in our roster to contend you shoot it down. Maybe you didn't mean that you thought our players were incapable of getting that good and you were just irritated by the fact Bargs was still on the team in the post, I really don't know but if you think it is delusional to think that Ed Davis can be as good as Chandler defensively or that Demar can't become a better player than DeShawn Stevenson I think you are being pessimistic. I am optimistic about this rosters future and I think we have two or three players that will eventually be good enough to start on a contender. The fact you think that line of thought is delusional implies to me you are pessimistic about our future.
    I'm being realistic. There's a difference. I like DeRozan, but at this point in his development, I think he'd be lucky to become an All-Star. Davis, I think, is the type of player that usually ends up with a Championship by the end of his career, but he's never going to be a top player in the league. And Bargnani, well, I think you know my opinion of Bargnani. I also like Amir and see him as being a good rotation player on a Championship team. That's 3 good pieces, but the Raptors roster is a ways off from having the enough to start thinking about contending. The first and possibly even second best player on a potential Raptor contender are still missing from the team. With Dirk, Dallas is a mediocre team, at best. And right now the Raptors have no one who can become even close to the player Dirk is.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    well ed will get to do something that chandler never had and never will... and thats making a jump shot.
    but defensively, ed is not as much of an influence for the team as chandler of course.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •