To San Antonio:

Chris Bosh

To Toronto:

Richard Jefferson
    George Hill
    Dajuan Blair
    1st round draft pick (hopefully)

Advantage for SA:

Putting Bosh next to Duncan in the front court allows the Spurs to contend for a title this year, which is their modus operandi. It also probably extends Duncan's career a few years, the same way Duncan extended Robinson's career. They then get a crack at signing Bosh in the offseason, keeping him close to his hometown.

Disadvantage for SA:

Takes away some wing depth - would still have Finley, Ginobili and Mason as their primary wings. Would this be enough to win a title?

Advantage for Toronto:

Jefferson is an average-to-above average defender, and can offensively take over games in short spurts when he gets hot. Athletic wing who can be a good mentor for DeRozan and Weems. A pretty good rebounding swingman with good basketball IQ. SA would likely say yes to this because he's been a bad fit in SA so far. With only one year remaining on his deal, he's not a long-term liability. Could even be packaged along with Calderon and/or Turk deals next year to sweeten the pot if necessary, though if I were BC, I'd try to resign him to a deal as long as it made financial sense.

Hill and Blair are young players on their rookie deals with significant upside. They both defend and are smart players.

A low draft-pick gets the Raps into next year's draft, and might facilitate the Raptors moving up in the draft.

Disadvantage for Toronto:

No Bosh. I'm not concerned about the offence, but defense and rebounding could go downhill. And of course, Toronto loses another franchise player. Don't think prospective FAs don't notice this.

Toronto starting lineup becomes Calderon/Jack, Jefferson, Turkoglu, Bargnani, Nesterovic.

That starting lineup for the Raps scares me. I like the deal a lot from SA's pov. All we have done is added Jefferson as the sg with a couple of pieces with a future . I cant speak to Hill but Blair was a steal in last years draft and a good power talent. I think there should be more value coming back including SA picking up a "bad" contract from the Raps.

Comment

If Bosh leaves, we'd need to replace him with a legitimate center. We will sorely miss his defense and rebounding, but I think that Triano would go with Amir over Rasho assuming he's still here. I think that we would get the most out of Bosh through a sign-and-trade rather than a hurried deadline deal. We can see what this team has and allow Bosh to increase his value as the season goes on. San Antonio would be the clear winner in this trade considering they get a top 5 power forward to go along with a top Center. A frontcourt like that is what we envisioned with Jermaine O'Neal coming over. I wouldn't pull the trigger on this because there is probably a lot more we can get for Bosh, especially when so many teams are starved for a player with Bosh's skills.

Comment

This is still the trade I would make as opposed to an LA, NY, Chicago, Golden State or Houston trade (though if the Raps get something ridiculous like Scola, Battier/Ariza and Brooks and agree to take Banks or something, that could be noteworthy). Why? It gets the Raptors 3 players who can play off the ball. Right now, the Raptors are dominated by players who need the ball to be effective (Calderon, Jack, Hedo, Bosh, Bargnani, and to a lesser extent, Bellinelli) and are an unbalanced team because of it.

Really, I don't want Bosh to be traded. I want him to retire in a Raptors uniform and set team records that no one will be able to match. But if trading Bosh is the only option (ie, he informs BC that he's leaving), then BC needs to make a move that will balance out the roster. Yes, the C position would be a patchwork job for the rest of the season, but they could get by and go after someone like David Lee in the offseason free-agent market and make sure they re-sign Amir Johnson. And don't think that trading Bosh someplace close to his hometown wouldn't bolster BCs reputation for treating his players like people and trying to work in their mutual best interests.

Comment

Toronto starting lineup becomes Calderon/Jack, Jefferson, Turkoglu, Bargnani, Nesterovic.
          or Calderon, DeRozan, Jefferson, Turkoglu, Bargnani

And the Raps will be playing lots of small ball and hoping the young guys learn real fast.

Nesterovic is an emergency/injury backup, not a starter.

Don't see Colangelo risking the playoffs on this deal.
          The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
          X