Larry & Dirk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry & Dirk

The following is a gigantic complement to Dirk. This article is a couple weeks old but even more timely now:

Ever since Dirk Nowitzki has been lighting it up in the playoffs, many comparisons have been coming towards legend, Larry Bird. Would Bird accept these comparisons? Yes, he does. In fact, he is honored by it.

“I’ve always admired the guy,” said the Indiana Pacers president of basketball operations.

Bird did admit they did have similarities.

“He’s had a great run (in the playoffs), but I’ve always been very impressed with him,” Bird said. “His work ethic, his loyalty to his country. It’s really an honor for me to have people compare us.

“He rebounds. He plays at his own pace. He sort of controls the tempo on offense. It’d be nice to be 7 foot and when they run plays and switch (defenders) on him, it doesn’t bother him at all. He can see over everybody.

“He’s got the step-backs. He gets to the rim. The difficulty of some of the shots that he makes … one thing about him is that he’s always got great balance. His shot looks like he’s falling away, but he’s got a lot of balance when the shot goes up.

“I understand (the comparisons). I’ve always felt it’s an honor when they compare anyone to me, because I haven’t played ball for 20 years.”
    “Dirk plays the game like Mully (Chris Mullin). He plays it at his pace. You can think the game out a lot easier if you’re going at your pace.”

Bird is also happy for Carlisle, as both were employees together with the Indiana Pacers when he was hired as coach for Indiana in the early 2000′s up to 2007.

“I’m so happy not only for Dirk, but for Rick to get an opportunity to win the ring,” Bird said. “A lot of people think Miami’s going to win (comfortably), but I think (the Mavs) got a great chance.”
    Source: Footbasket.com

The way Dirk dominated most of the playoffs, is the leader & franchise player of a Championship team and taking into consideration his career as a whole Dirk is now indisputably one of the all-time greats.

That was a feelgood read! The best thing I liked about the Mavs win is that it shutup all those who thought Dirk was a softie and the usual stereotypical Euro bs.

Comment

That is some serious humility, from a man that doesn't need to give any.

Comment

June 15th

"I don't get into that," said Bird of the Nowitzki comparison. "That's for other people to debate. I just know that I love his game. I like his demeanor on the court, the way that he loves to play. You can compare him to me if you want to. I'm just happy for the young man, and it's an honor for me to just have his name mentioned with mine."
        "I can see a lot of the same things that he does that I did," said Bird. "We both were tall and able to shoot from outside. We rebound the ball pretty well. We're dedicated to the game. There are a lot of similarities between us. I watched Dirk play in high school, also, and I go, 'Wow, this kid does it all.' He had 38 points, 21 rebounds, 7 or 8 assists. He does everything. And that's why they compare us. Because we're big, we can shoot from outside and we're not only scorers — we try to do it all."
        Source: Fox Sports

Comment

Working...
        X