• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Mavs 5th?
    Still no respect.
    No, not really:
    1. Mavs will have a hard time maintaining the current squad (Chandler, Barea, Stojakovic, Kidd) much less upgrading it as they are well over the cap.
    2. Miami, Chicago and Thunder have their key players locked up for next season and can use exceptions (if the new CBA keeps them) to increase quality
    3. The Mavs core is beyond it's prime, so it's difficult to say if and by how much their play will fall off, while the above mentioned teams cores are young and entering their prime
    4. Vegas odds are not exclusively based on the quality of the squad, but on the bets placed. Teams from the large markets (Bulls, Knicks, lakers) will always have more bets placed on them cause of the home beating. Also teams with media superstars (LBJ, Wade, Bryant, Durant, Rose) are bet-heavy.

So in short, no it's no diss to Mavs, it's just that Vegas bookies are really smart or they would have been out of business a long time ago

Comment

I've been soaking up a lot of expert opinions on what happened to LeBron at the end, and a few issues have emerged. Several experts, notably Dan LeBatard observe that LeBron has played a lot of heavy minutes this year and may have finally run out of gas. Others, including Bill Simmons and Steve Kerr note that he uses pure athleticism to score points, rather than a polished offensive attack. If he were to add a post offense he'd weather the minutes and the pressure better. LeBron has said that he felt a lot of pressure (much of it, it should be noted, self-inflicted) and may have been overcome by it.
      I agree with these points more than the speculative stuff I've heard, like supposedly he's having personal problems or whatever. Had LeBron played like himself in the finals, I think Miami would have swept or won in 5 games. The Heat won game 1 and had 4th quarter leads in 2 and 3, and won game 4. I thought game 3 was just bad luck but 2 was an unbelievable collapse.
      The minutes played issue can be solved by adding more good players to the roster. LeBron's ball skills and athleticism are so overwhelming that he could develop the best post game since Olajuwon if he wanted to. If he starts now, he'll have it finished by the time the league gets under way again, whenever that is. So, in sum, I think Miami is clearly the favourite. If the Lakers choose to trade for Dwight Howard, and keep KB24 and Pau, I think the situation changes a bit.
      As for the Raps, unfortunately they have been so mismanaged that they probably have fewer promising assets right now than any team in the league. It wouldn't surprise me if the Raps are the worst team in the league for the next couple of seasons.

Comment

dzoni71 wrote: View Post
        No, not really:
        1. Mavs will have a hard time maintaining the current squad (Chandler, Barea, Stojakovic, Kidd) much less upgrading it as they are well over the cap.
        2. Miami, Chicago and Thunder have their key players locked up for next season and can use exceptions (if the new CBA keeps them) to increase quality
        3. The Mavs core is beyond it's prime, so it's difficult to say if and by how much their play will fall off, while the above mentioned teams cores are young and entering their prime
        4. Vegas odds are not exclusively based on the quality of the squad, but on the bets placed. Teams from the large markets (Bulls, Knicks, lakers) will always have more bets placed on them cause of the home beating. Also teams with media superstars (LBJ, Wade, Bryant, Durant, Rose) are bet-heavy.

So in short, no it's no diss to Mavs, it's just that Vegas bookies are really smart or they would have been out of business a long time ago
        Guess we all have opinions dzoni.
        1. The Mavs won without Beaubois or Butler playing ... both roster upgrades. Seems odd to have a title winning team (who by the way says they will bring back their key pieces), are 5th on the list.
        2. Chicago, Miami, and OKC share the same lack of mobility, depending on the new CBA. Chicago has a ton of money into new signings Boozer, Brewer, Korver and Watson ... anticipate a max deal for DRose on the horizon. Miami will be stuck adding minimum pieces - and overpaying Bosh. OKC just put a lot of coin into Perkins, who lost out the battle to Chandler. If they want to pay Russell, they can't go grabbing any major scale improvements either.
        3. How much are the Mavs going to age over an offseason? Dirk is obviously in his prime. ditto Jet, Tyson, Barea, etc. Kidd is old, but also seems to be father time ... you want a team in their prime, or one potentially entering their prime soon?

No denying the Vegas bookies have more info than me on smart betting odds ... my thoughts are based on what I see.
        The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Even after getting swept in the 2nd round, the Lakers are number 2? Ahead of the team that swept them in the playoffs... really?!
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Guys, you do realize these are betting odds and not a power ranking right? The odds are set to ensure they make money, so much of it is based on how people will bet. =P

Comment

Working...
            X