Chad Ford Mock Draft 5.0: Raptors still selecting Jan Vesely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chad Ford Mock Draft 5.0: Raptors still selecting Jan Vesely

Analysis: Bryan Colangelo could go a number of directions here. He has strong interest in both Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker. If Knight is on the board, I think he doesn't get past here. If just Walker is here, the question for Colangelo is what to do with Leandro Barbosa and Jerryd Bayless. Both players are similar to Walker.

The Raptors could go with an international player such as Kanter, Valanciunas, Vesely or Bismack Biyombo. Of the four, sources say, Vesely is the highest on their board.
    Lottery looks like: Irving, Williams, Knight, Valanciunas, Vesely, Kanter, Leonard, Walker, Morris, K. Thompson, Biyombo, Singleton, Burks, Vucevic

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Lottery looks like: Irving, Williams, Knight, Valanciunas, Vesely, Kanter, Leonard, Walker, Morris, K. Thompson, Biyombo, Singleton, Burks, Vucevic
    Too much comparison to Kirilenko have pushed this kid up. I personally am not sold. He's raw and skinny. I'm not sold, period.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

At least Chad Ford is consistently wrong with this.

Comment

I'm shocked if Valanciunas and Vesely go before Kanter. There is a lot of politicking going on so everything can be taken with a grain of salt at this point.

Comment

I'm surprised Valanciunas is still so high with his buyout situation. Does Ford mention it?

Also, DraftEXpress' latest has the exact same top 4, so I wonder if things are solidifying. NBA.com's consensus mock draft also has Knight at the #3, but Kanter and Valanciunas going 4 and 5.

I can't wait for this thing to be done.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Interestingly, not one single mock draft has the Raptors picking Kanter, even if he drops. I wonder if the Raptors are telling people they won't draft him.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

i've noticed that too. curious.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Nah, after the first two slots he's got it wrong imo.

Comment

j bean wrote: View Post
                  I'm shocked if Valanciunas and Vesely go before Kanter. There is a lot of politicking going on so everything can be taken with a grain of salt at this point.
                  Agree. Vesely, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo...

Comment

no way raps take vesley. i think bc will take walker or knight
                    ya dun noe

Comment

Is it possible that Brian just doesn't want Kanter? Has he ever done this in the past, where he appears to be really high on someone and then ends up taking someone else even if the perceived person he wanted was available? It's hard to say for the last two drafts because he just got the best two that were available to him at that time. Both Derozan and Davis were steals.

I don't understand why he'd be high on Vesely, when he can't really shoot the 3 or play D, and if we ended up with a wing, we'd need one that can do one or the other (or preferably both). Plus wouldn't Vesely need a buy out as well?

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Is it possible that Brian just doesn't want Kanter? Has he ever done this in the past, where he appears to be really high on someone and then ends up taking someone else even if the perceived person he wanted was available? It's hard to say for the last two drafts because he just got the best two that were available to him at that time. Both Derozan and Davis were steals.

I don't understand why he'd be high on Vesely, when he can't really shoot the 3 or play D, and if we ended up with a wing, we'd need one that can do one or the other (or preferably both). Plus wouldn't Vesely need a buy out as well?
                        Nothing was ever said about Davis from what I recall because he wouldn't work out here and no one thought he'd slip to 13.

I recall the Raps being very high on DD publicly.

If there is interest in Kanter, it is best to keep it hush-hush. MIN/UTA/CLE could all throw a wrench in things.

Comment

I don't know why Ford seems so set on us picking Vesely. I haven't really read many other opinions that agreed. Most seem to think Walker and Knight are the most likely selections, and that if Kanter falls he may get picked by us (though as many people point out, there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for him from the Raps).
                          I also have read a couple of places that we're high on Leonard and Vesely, but I think they would be targets if we get a lower pick. It may be that Ford hears the Raps like him and want him, but again, I doubt he'd use the 5th pick on him. If BC's coaching move was partially about accelerating results, he shouldn't draft a player who may not have more of an impact than James Johnson as a SF, or Davis and Amir at the PF. He could struggle to find minutes.

Comment

I wouldnt put any stock in overt announcements by teams...especially this close to the draft. But Kanter not appearing anywhere as the 5th choice is curious. Either The Raps have been convinced he cant play centre or they are masking their intentions really well. The Vesely choice by Ford (consistently) is bothersome. He was on the Biyombo trip which Colangelo attended alongwith some other gms. I am sure there must have been a few conversations all around.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                              I'm surprised Valanciunas is still so high with his buyout situation. Does Ford mention it?
                              It's not rational. No one will take him that high given the uncertainy around the situation.

Ricky Rubio has been great in the NBA... oh, wait...
                              http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

Working...
                              X