Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    Is 6'11" a team need?
    6'11" is always a need. Size matters baby!
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

So where does 6'11" get you in the scenario where player upside doesn't turn into actual ability?

I think you're left with a guy who can't shoot, who can't handle and who can't defend. A guy like that is no good to you no matter if he 7'11".

It's a risky pick.

Comment

The year Hoffa was selected, Babcock took the job one a week or so before the draft after coming from Minnesota where he served as an assistant. That year the Wolves had a good team and so they weren't expecting to have a shot at anybody who wasn't in the back end of the draft. Because of this they chose not to scout the lottery. So, when Babcock came in here he leaned heavily on the remaining scouts to help him make the decision. It's still his choice to live by, he chose size over the best player available, but you have to think that his scouting department still had a misread on Hoffa and that bad report landed in Babcock's lap. Was that Kelly's fault? Sure, I'll buy that. I also put it on MLSE because they failed to get something done fast enough to give the new GM time to adequately prepare for one of the most important events for a mediocre team trying to not be a mediocre team. They almost did it again this season so props to them for getting their act together.
        I've never liked passing the blame off Babcock for that draft. No, he didn't scout the players himself, but neither did I, and there's no way I would have let Iguodala go in favour of Araujo. Iguodala was a gift who dropped onto the Raptor's laps and only a fool would have said, "you think I should take this guy slated to be drafted about ten or fifteen picks later because he fills a need? Okay". SHould the blame be shared? Absolutely, but if Babcock knew so little that he agreed to bypass an obviously much better player then he desrves any blame that comes his way.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

So where does 6'11" get you in the scenario where player upside doesn't turn into actual ability?

I think you're left with a guy who can't shoot, who can't handle and who can't defend. A guy like that is no good to you no matter if he 7'11".

It's a risky pick.
          If a guy doesn't actually PLAY like he's 6'11, then his size doesn't really matter. Does Vesley rebound like a 6'11 player? No. And his bigger size actually might be a disadvantage on defense, where he might not have the quickness to keep up with the smaller players. So how is his 6'11ness an advantage?

(I'm not asking you, Apollo, since you feel the same way. Just backing you up on this point)
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

The whole Euro thing becomes mute when you hear interest in Kanter and JV. The fact that Ford always has us selecting him compounded by the fact that I don't see him mentioned as a pick by the other teams has me a bit disturbed.

Statistically speaking, I would like to hear more noise about the kid from other camps. His size and FT shooting bother me. The game is so much faster and the players are much stronger at this level.

Anyway, I don't think my criteria is solid enough to dismiss him, but it is a little suspicious to me that after 5 Ford mocks we are still at Vesely and I hear so little in other camps about him. I would feel more comfortable if his name received a little more wear and tear by the other teams that are selecting near us.
            Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu Jun 16, 2011, 11:54 AM.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

Vesely is a very good talent by all accounts and I can't help but think a lot of the hate directed at him on these forums is a result of his euroness.
              My first choice has always been Kanter and last I checked, he was from Europe. What does Vesely bring that the Raptors don't already have. Size? We've got that. Energy? Ditto. Athleticism? Not a problem.

The Raptors need a good wing defender who has a reliable shooting game, and a centre who can control the paint and the glass on both ends of the floor. Vesely doesn't bring these traits. It has nothing to do with him being European.
              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

This from his chat wrap that just finished:
                Allan (Toronto)

Where do you see the Raptors going with their pick?
                Chad Ford
                (1:10 PM)

A very tough call. If Brandon Knight is still on the board, I think that will be the pick. If he's not, sounds like Kanter, Vesely, Kawhi Leonard & Kemba Walker are in the mix. Not sure which way they are leaning. If it was me ... I'd take Leonard here.
                I think he's covering all his bases there. haha
                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

So guys, there's this question I have that's been keeping me up at night. I was wondering if someone can help. Is it:

1. Vuh-SEE-lee
                  2. VES-lee
                  3. Vuh-SLEE
                  4. Vee-suh-lee
                  5. Vuh-SEL-ee
                  6. VAS-lee

???

And just to confirm.. "Jan Vesely" -- his name translated to English is "John Merry".
                  Last edited by ebrian; Thu Jun 16, 2011, 03:58 PM.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

VeSilly. That's Colangelo's new name if he takes this guy 5th overall.

John Merry is kind of catchy. Kind of has that Chuck Berry ring to it.
                    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jun 16, 2011, 04:30 PM. Reason: iphone

Comment

if we come away from the draft with only vesely i'm done
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        if we come away from the draft with only vesely i'm done
                        WHat if Vesley turns out to be one of the best players in the draft?
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

then i'm back baby!
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Glad to see you come back in this hypothetical situation. It was a shame to hear that you were going to hypothetically hang'em up.

Has anyone mentioned Vesely's vertical in here?

Comment

Glad to see you come back in this hypothetical situation. It was a shame to hear that you were going to hypothetically hang'em up.

Has anyone mentioned Vesely's vertical in here?
                              Yup, its pretty high!! But not high enough to be picked at #5..

Comment

It's a risky pick.
                                I agree, he is very risky but at the same time if he worked out it would be awesome. I guess I like to take the optimistic approach. His shot is bad now but he doesn't have terrible form and if he plays power forward his handles are already better than they have to be. Maybe he isn't mobile enough to play the three but that means we will have an extremely mobile four who is not undersized. He gets his jump shot and he will be downright unstoppable. I tend to prefer more sure picks but I do kind of like getting a guy who could be a franchise player if everything turned out.
                                "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X