Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Myck Kabongo Next Year Instead??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Rautins=Fail. Dave Smart works with the same budget as every other CIS team and the Ravens have won 7 of the last 9 national championships. The two times they lost in the semi-finals they were the top seed and lost both games by a combined 6 points. That is insane. I actually got to watch a men's team practice and was wholly UNDERWHELMED by Rautins as a coach. I'm not saying that Canada has the best talent or program, but Leo is a great example of a former player who shouldn't be a coach.
    If you think that coach Smart does not have more resources and funds than many other CIS school you are out of the loop.

As for Leo, was it his fault that he has had little talent to work with? We have a few quality players but lack depth. Also the injuries to English, Young, and Andy Rautins down the stretch did not help anything. We are talking about putting a team on the floor that has 1 NBA guy 2-3 top league Euro players and a bunch of NCAA and tier 2-3 league guys, who is going to win with that. Don't even bring up the Dalembert situation, that was all Sam, and Leo did a great job not bashing him in the media like he could have. Also, depending on what practice you were able to sit in on would also give you different perspectives. Many of the players in camp are coming off long seasons and the team does lots of walk throughs, slowly adding things to be ready for the "real" games. The team also usually meets once early in the summer, plays some friendly games, takes a break and regroups after a week or two break.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

nah i want sullinger next year and Kemba this year.

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    If you think that coach Smart does not have more resources and funds than many other CIS school you are out of the loop.

As for Leo, was it his fault that he has had little talent to work with? We have a few quality players but lack depth. Also the injuries to English, Young, and Andy Rautins down the stretch did not help anything. We are talking about putting a team on the floor that has 1 NBA guy 2-3 top league Euro players and a bunch of NCAA and tier 2-3 league guys, who is going to win with that. Don't even bring up the Dalembert situation, that was all Sam, and Leo did a great job not bashing him in the media like he could have. Also, depending on what practice you were able to sit in on would also give you different perspectives. Many of the players in camp are coming off long seasons and the team does lots of walk throughs, slowly adding things to be ready for the "real" games. The team also usually meets once early in the summer, plays some friendly games, takes a break and regroups after a week or two break.
    Leo's still not produced as well as, wait for it -- Triano did during his tenure as national team head coach. All Jay had was Nash and 'stuff'. And the way Leo got the gig and the political shenanigans around Canada Basketball probably have a lot to do with people's opinions of Leo. I have a ton of respect for Steve Nash and his outlook on people, and if he thinks Leo is a douche who helped push Triano of the program, then I'll side with that opinion until proven otherwise.

I have no idea how today's young Cdn players see Leo (in terms of respect factor, leadership ability, etc.), so maybe he's a great guy for the future of Team Canada, but in the past, he's seemed arrogant and under-qualified to me.

The fact that Triano is no longer coaching in the NBA puts him back in the driver seat for a role with the national hoops program, I hope. He's the most successful coach we've had, and the team was arguably in the best position it's ever been under his watch. With the much higher level of talent in Canada today, it would be interesting to see what he could accomplish...
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I want austin rivers

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Agrippa wrote: View Post
    I want austin rivers
    noooooooo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information