No announcement yet.

Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does the NBAdraft website have Vesely as the better defender?

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      That's sort of what I'm getting at. If you already have JJ and are comfortable with him at SF then does it make sense to go after Leonard with your lottery pick? If you do go after Leonard then you're saying that you have no faith in JJ as a starter or that the Kleiza signing was a mistake.
      Or that Kleiza is out for at least half the year and may never come back from the injury, which would leave the team exactly one deep at the SF position.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
        Exactly.
        Shawn Marion is a power forward too...
        -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
        -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
          Shawn Marion is a power forward too...
          Marion is a forward who can play both SF and PF. In the run and gun Suns he played mostly PF with Amar'e at C. In Dallas he has played mostly SF with Dirk at PF and Chandler at C.

Comment

Most mock drafts have the San Diego State sophomore Leonard ranked just ahead of the Kansas junior Morris.

The knock on Leonard's game has been his scoring. The 6' 7" small forward has a 7' 3" wingspan and a freakish 11.25" hand width, a very active defender who averaged an impressive 10.6 rebounds and 1.4 steals last year. Unfortunately, Leonard's jump shot was highly suspect in college and he averaged just 44.4 percent shooting from the field and 29.1 percent from three-point range.

The Raptors tried this experiment out of necessity last season with Julian Wright. Wright, drafted thirteenth by the Hornets 2007, did provide the Raptors a solid defensive spark, but his lack of a consistent jump shot and 20 percent three-point shooting limited his overall usefulness.

After the college season ended, Leonard started working out at Joe Abunassar's Impact Basketball, and at the work out in Toronto, the results were evident.

"I have been working on catch and shoot from the three-point line as that would be my weakness in college," said Leonard. "Since I have been working on it for about three and a half weeks, I have been feeling more comfortable and shooting it without thinking about it.

"Nobody sees me work out from the public, but the coaches I work out with said they could see the development in my shot and how hard I have been working and how my release point is coming off. It feels good right now and I have confidence in it."

From what was witnessed on Wednesday, Leonard is understating the change in his shooting. At the end of the workout as a completely gassed Leonard was running catch and shoot three point shooting drills, he was hitting on better than half of his attempts. There is no way Leonard would have been expected to hit that many NBA three-pointers based on this past college season.

"Kawhi, I have seen quite a bit as I am based on the west coast and I've been watching him for a number of years," said Kelly. "But today he really shot the ball well.

"His shooting touch has definitely improved since later in the season. I think his proficiency at three-point shooting was as good as anyone here."

If the top ranked defender in this draft class has found his jump shot, his draft value has just gone up considerably. Of course, Leonard has been working on much more than just his shooting at Impact Basketball.

"(I have been working on) back down, two dribble pull-up, just getting my touch right, shooting form, just the basic things," said Leonard. "I am trying to develop my overall game, not just working on one area like shooting. I am going in the post, coming off pin downs, catch and shoot. I am trying to work on my overall game so I can be effective at all times.

"The biggest (change) is my overall game. There were certain things in San Diego State that I couldn't showcase. My hard work is paying off I guess."

The Toronto Raptors have canceled their final two scheduled pre-draft work outs which probably indicates that their draft board has been finalized. After Wednesday, it shouldn't surprise anyone if Leonard has worked himself to the top of Toronto's board.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1PdXKg8Ug

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Kawhi Leonard ftw.
              "Defense wins championships."

Comment

I think BC ends up drafting this guy, you don't pass up on a player who is only 19 years old, 6"8, athletically gifted and is working hard to get better every year. This was pretty much Derozan 2 years ago, and in the Eastern Conference you need athletic wing players to compete against Miami/Chicago/Atlanta.

Kleiza can't even inbound the ball correctly, can anyone tell me how this guy ended up on our team *sigh*

I'd rather much see Leonard in Toronto than Kemba Walker who is a scoring guard, *WAIT* I thought we already have that in Jerryd Bayless.

Comment

Kembaa

The Best And Wisest Choice Is To Draft Kemba.He Is A Born Leader And Has A NCAA Championship Under His Belt.To Me He Resembles A Player Like Chauncey Billups.The Only Reason We Haven't Seen His Passing Abilities Is Because They Needed Him To Score.And Trade Jose And Bargs For Kobe Bryant's Shoes.Now That Is A Playoff Team.

Comment

D-Money wrote: View Post
                    The Best And Wisest Choice Is To Draft Kemba.He Is A Born Leader And Has A NCAA Championship Under His Belt.To Me He Resembles A Player Like Chauncey Billups.The Only Reason We Haven't Seen His Passing Abilities Is Because They Needed Him To Score.And Trade Jose And Bargs For Kobe Bryant's Shoes.Now That Is A Playoff Team.
                    I agree that kemba is a good player, and a very safe pick. His numbers are great. I just think leonard is a better fit for our team. I really think bayless deserves a shot at PG, who is to say that Kemba ends up being a better player than bayless who averaged 22 pts a game in april. Id rather have more of a veteran running the point. Remember when bayless came in he was a lottery pick and highly touted too. You just never know, their are no sure things in this draft besides the top 2 picks.

Also Kemba is good but he is two years older, if you gave Leonard another 2 years to develop in college I think you would see a MUCH better player then what you see now. But most importantly Leonard addresses our greatest needs that are defense and rebounding. He has an NBA ready body, freakish size, tenacity, and a willingness to work hard and get better.

Dont get me wrong I like James johnson, too but they way I see it we are locked up at the PF (davis, johnson, bargnani), drafting a C will take too long to develop rather see us get one through free agency (no bargnani at the C pls), PG I like Bayless (trade calderon, get a young PG to develop as back up), SG Derozan is stacked, that leaves us with SF Kleiza is injured may not come back if he does itll be halfway through the year, that leaves us 1 deep at the SF which looks like the position that we can upgrade the easiest through the draft.

Personally if Brandon Knight is off the board by the time the fifth pick comes up, and im BC I take Leonard.
                    "Defense wins championships."

Comment

D-Money wrote: View Post
                      Chauncey Billups took 5 years and 5 teams before he was able adjust to playing the PG position in the NBA. If you want to convince people to take Walker, I'd probably lay of the Billups comparisons.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

WHile you can obviously compare Julian Wright and Leonard, I think the hope is that Leonard would work harder to improve his game than Wright, whose work ethic has been questioned. If Wright had been as diligent as, say, DeRozan, he'd probably have a decent jumpshot and the Hornets wouldn't have needed to trade For Ariza to replace him.

A jumpshot is one of the easiest basketball skills to learn. But you need to work at it.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          A jumpshot is one of the easiest basketball skills to learn. But you need to work at it.
                          Guess Ben Wallace skipped school... like all the time

Comment

dzoni71 wrote: View Post
                            Guess Ben Wallace skipped school... like all the time
                            I never understood why he couldn't acquire a jumpshot. Amir Johnson now has a half decent shot from 15 feet.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I would definitely consider him at 5, depending how the first four picks go. I'd rather have him over Vesely or any of the bigs really.
                              You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
                                I haven't seen this picture posted anywhere on the forum so I thought I would post it. Its Holly MacKenzie from the score comparing her hand to Kawhi's.

I couldn't find the picture of her comparing her vagina size to Kawhi's penis though.
                                Get it right. That is Holly comparing her hands to E.T.'s

Comment

Working...
                                X