No announcement yet.

Raptors Close to Hiring Casey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was Casey really good for Garnett though? Garnett has always been a great player. I'm not sure how Casey made him any better though.

The year Casey coached him, Garnett made it to the second all defensive team. Which is good, but he made that same team the year prior when McHale was coaching the team, and the year after Casey coached him. Garnett did lead the league in rebounds though, but again he did that the year prior and the year after Casey too.

I'm not saying that Casey was bad for Garnett, but I can't really say he was good for him either.

Comment

I think it'd be hard to evaluate Casey's effect on Kevin Garnett considering Garnett was already in his 10th year. My guess is that at 27 years of age, Kevin Garnett averages 23 points and 12 rebounds even if his coach is Sarah Palin, if you catch my drift.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
        I think it'd be hard to evaluate Casey's effect on Kevin Garnett considering Garnett was already in his 10th year. My guess is that at 27 years of age, Kevin Garnett averages 23 points and 12 rebounds even if his coach is Sarah Palin, if you catch my drift.
        ahahaha agreed
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          Was Casey really good for Garnett though? Garnett has always been a great player. I'm not sure how Casey made him any better though.

The year Casey coached him, Garnett made it to the second all defensive team. Which is good, but he made that same team the year prior when McHale was coaching the team, and the year after Casey coached him. Garnett did lead the league in rebounds though, but again he did that the year prior and the year after Casey too.

I'm not saying that Casey was bad for Garnett, but I can't really say he was good for him either.
          I recall reading somewhere recently that there was a bit ofa falling out between Casey & Garnett which lead to his firing. One can look at it the two ways...not getting along with your players/star or to have the fortitude not to allow the star system to override whats good for the team whatever the beef was.

Comment

he should be hire pronto, that defence against the heat was amazing
            ya dun noe

Comment

Zigus wrote: View Post
              We fired Sam and waited 3 years to realize we needed a coach like Sam. Casey and Sam are the same type of coach. Why did we waste time with Jay.
              My point exactly!

Comment

star_bury wrote: View Post
                I agree and disagree. Good coaching can make bad players less bad. Good coaching does NOT win Championship son its own though...
                Coaches can't shoot, pass, play defense, run the point, block shots or close out a tight game on sheer athleticism. It makes no difference who coaches bad teams. Good teams need the appropriate coach, ie. a guy who doesn't screw things up too badly, and that is all.
                The best thing Miami's coaches can do, for example, is pass on advice to LeBron on how to handle the media so he doesn't have to carry so much baggage onto the court. Substitutions, and offensive/defensive systems is something that any fool can do -- when he has the right players.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                  Coaches can't shoot, pass, play defense, run the point, block shots or close out a tight game on sheer athleticism. It makes no difference who coaches bad teams. Good teams need the appropriate coach, ie. a guy who doesn't screw things up too badly, and that is all.
                  The best thing Miami's coaches can do, for example, is pass on advice to LeBron on how to handle the media so he doesn't have to carry so much baggage onto the court. Substitutions, and offensive/defensive systems is something that any fool can do -- when he has the right players.
                  One would think, however we have seen evidence to the contrary.

Comment

Before deciding on Mavs assistant coach Dwane Casey to take over for Jay Triano, Toronto president Bryan Colangelo talked to Jeff Van Gundy about the post.

If that wasn't a dead giveaway that the Raptors are going to at least try to change their ways and address the most important end of the court, perhaps just as revealing was whom Colangelo didn't interview.

Although it was long rumored, he did not reach out to his former coach in Phoenix, Mike D'Antoni, whom the Knicks may have made available for the right compensation.

But with the Raptors hardly putting up any resistance last season, allowing opponents to shoot 48.2% from the field as they won all of 22 games, Colangelo couldn't afford to take a chance on D'Antoni. On a short leash himself, after last month receiving what was reportedly a two-year extension, Colangelo needed to bring in someone who will try to change the culture.

After finishing second to Larry Drew for the Hawks job last summer, Casey saw his stock rise with Dallas' ascension to the top of the NBA.

He's worked under three of the game's top coaches, George Karl, Nate McMillan and Rick Carlisle, and is known as a workaholic. This will be his second head coaching position, and sometimes coaches are just better their second time around.

As it is, he impressed many NBA execs with the job he did in Minnesota before getting fired with a 20-20 record midway through the 2006-07 season.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1PgbNX2zD

Is it official now?
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Colangelo needed to bring in someone who will try to change the culture.
                      The "culture" was created by Bryan Colangelo. If he wanted a different culture, he could have created it a long time ago by bringing in the right people to run the team. Instead, he coddled Bargnani and others, creating a double standard that obviously sabotaged many seasons by dividing the locker room, and now Colangelo has been charged with cleaning up his own mess.

For how to create a different kind of culture, a respectable organization where players and executives are held accountable for failures see the Heat, Lakers, Spurs, Mavs et al.

Comment

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/124136329.html

The Wolves fired Casey in January 2007. Specifically, owner Glen Taylor allowed Kevin McHale to fire Casey. McHale hired his buddy Randy Wittman, one of the many decisions that led to the Wolves becoming the worst franchise in the NBA.

At the time of Casey's dismissal, the Wolves were 20-20. They are 87-250 since.

Asked if he wanted the Wolves job, Casey pointed out that the position isn't open, and he refused to lobby for it. Wolves "management" has yet to announce any decision on incumbent Kurt Rambis.

Comment

Working...
                        X