Raptors Close to Hiring Casey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    Why do you dislike Casey? I want him hired before Saturday.
    I won't be upset if they get Casey, but I think we're better off with Frank. I think Casey will be a short-term coach if we hire him, and then we'll have to go through all this again in 2-3 years.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

We fired Sam and waited 3 years to realize we needed a coach like Sam. Casey and Sam are the same type of coach. Why did we waste time with Jay.

Comment

Jay is more of a players coach, than Smitch.

We found out that we don't need a players coach, we just need someone who can coach basketball period.
        -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
        -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
          I won't be upset if they get Casey, but I think we're better off with Frank. I think Casey will be a short-term coach if we hire him, and then we'll have to go through all this again in 2-3 years.
          Has Franks defense won an NBA championship yet? Casey's just did and hence is the more accomplished coach.

Personally, I want Butch Carter back as coach :P.
          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Some of you guys are putting way too much weight on Dallas winning the Championship and giving credit to Casey. Carlesimo won a Championship as an assistant with the Spurs and I don't see many rushing to hire him as the Raptors head coach. I'm not saying Casey won't be a good coach, but assuming he will be because he was an assistant coach with Dallas is simply wrong.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I totally agree. That is one example with Carlesimo, another is Kurt Rambis. Marc Ivaroni. We could go on and on of assistants getting too much credit. That's not to say that Casey won't be a good coach. But to take the Mavs championship, and place much of the reason upon Casey is foolish. I personally think Frank should be hired due to his decent wealth of experience. He is a great tactician (as he proved against the Raptors many times) and Doc Rivers has raved about him all season long. Either way, we should end up with a good coach. If Triano was more respected around the league I believe he would be in the mix for some head coaching job, but he isn't. No knock on him but I don't think his name means much in the NBA as far as head coaching goes.

Comment

Hoping BC goes left field... Get Riley, or something... we fired Try A NO! for Try A No 4.0? Riley (PAt) Adelman ( my original assumption) Phil Jackson... Hell Ill even take acomputer generated Red Aurebach and Bill Russel as our Lead big man coach... Ill Im sayin is we could have left Try A No! if their was no clear head above shoulder candidate for this year.. We woulda kept TAN (Try A No!) struggled one more year and gotten a head above shoulders coach next year... And And Butch Carter was Niice, It was the non basketball extracurricular shit that fucked shit up.. BC go do your job, your the Hefin GM makin the bucks The way ish is breakin down with the draft, coaching, personnell its lookin like the people here at RR could give you a run for your Money, ANd that shit aint FUNNY!
                O D da system.

Comment

I agree that Casey isn't the reason the Mavs won the championship, but the situation is familiar. Boston won the championship while being praised for their defense. That defensive system was brought to the team through an assistant coach. That assistant coach got a head coaching job, turned his new team into a beast, and won coach of the year. Dallas just won the championship while being praised for their defense that was mostly the brainchild of the assistant coach. I know Toronto isn't Chicago, but we've got nothing to lose and the model seems like a good one to follow. I'm all for giving Casey a shot.

Comment

Along that same logic then, why not give Frank credit for keeping Boston as the number one defensive team in the league. You can argue that, had it not been for the Perkins trade, they probably would have at least made the finals.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                      And Frank is a 5-6 year solution?!
                      http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...e=NBAHeadlines

Frank, formerly coach of the New Jersey Nets, is the second candidate to be formally interviewed for the position, sources said, joining former Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Woodson.

The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press reported in Thursday's editions that the Pistons also have scheduled an interview with Milwaukee Bucks assistant Kelvin Sampson by week's end.

The Pistons have likewise requested permission from the Dallas Mavericks to interview assistant coach Dwane Casey, who was taking part Thursday in the Mavericks' championship parade in Dallas.

Casey and Frank are the two finalists for the Toronto Raptors' coaching vacancy. Both were also finalists in Houston and Golden State for jobs that went to Kevin McHale and Mark Jackson, respectively.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          Some of you guys are putting way too much weight on Dallas winning the Championship and giving credit to Casey. Carlesimo won a Championship as an assistant with the Spurs and I don't see many rushing to hire him as the Raptors head coach. I'm not saying Casey won't be a good coach, but assuming he will be because he was an assistant coach with Dallas is simply wrong.
                          Um, defending a young LeBron James with a "big" three of James, Hughes and Gooden is a wee bit less challenging then James, Wade and Bosh. No?

CLE that year had the 18th ranked offence. Heat this year? 3rd ranked offence.

Of course, its also tough to determine if a good assistant would be a good head coach (though he did okay with a poor MIN squad).... but you're alternative is?

Comment

youknowit wrote: View Post
                            Along that same logic then, why not give Frank credit for keeping Boston as the number one defensive team in the league. You can argue that, had it not been for the Perkins trade, they probably would have at least made the finals.
                            I have to question how much of an affect Frank had on the Boston D. Keep in mind the core was there when Thibodeau was and is a veteran team. I'm pretty sure Frank wasn't implementing new systems to KG, Rondo, Allen, Pierce and the O'Neal's. Boston is a veteran team that knows how to play the right way on both ends of the court.

Comment

The other advantage of bringing in Casey is his knowledge of Cuban's analytics investments. Many were shocked DAL played so well despite really only having one "star". Perhaps intangibles, other measures of value, and putting together complementary role players has a part in their success.

Comment

Gotta say, I'm a bit surprised at what people are focusing on with this coaching search. Forget whether the coach is defensive-minded or not, can he develop youth? I'd argue that's the single most important requirement the Raps should have for the moment. The thing is, you bring in a coach like Casey with a sophisticated defensive scheme that's built for veterans and the younger guys will probably struggle with it. Plus, he's dealing with Bargnani, who is the anti-Chandler. Then how will Casey react to that frustration? Now Casey might be great with player development, I don't know. I'm just saying that teaching defense is going to be as important as game-planning it.

Comment

Working...
                                X