Raptors Close to Hiring Casey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    I have to question how much of an affect Frank had on the Boston D. Keep in mind the core was there when Thibodeau was and is a veteran team. I'm pretty sure Frank wasn't implementing new systems to KG, Rondo, Allen, Pierce and the O'Neal's. Boston is a veteran team that knows how to play the right way on both ends of the court.
    Though Boston may be made of a bunch of veterans who knew the system, it takes a good coach to motivate a bunch of veterans to commit and play hard. I think his experience with a championship calibre team and coach can only help the Raptors organization. This alongside his own head coaching experience of almost seven years, he is a pretty good choice.

Comment

Liston wrote: View Post
      Um, defending a young LeBron James with a "big" three of James, Hughes and Gooden is a wee bit less challenging then James, Wade and Bosh. No?

CLE that year had the 18th ranked offence. Heat this year? 3rd ranked offence.

Of course, its also tough to determine if a good assistant would be a good head coach (though he did okay with a poor MIN squad).... but you're alternative is?
      I'm not saying that Casey's accomplishments are moot, but there are some who seem to be giving credit for the Championship to Casey, when that's obviously not true. And even if he was a big factor, it doesn't necessarily mean he'd make a good head coach. Again, I'm not saying he's not a good coach, but I think people are putting far too much weight on one successful playoff run.

As to how to determine whether he'd make a good head coach? I really don't know, but I think probably a lot more research than watching him sit on the bench on television.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

On #Hoops ... @SmithRaps tells me & @Paul__Jones that he thinks Dwane Casey is the man the #Raptors will hire. We concur. But we'll see.
        LINK: http://twitter.com/#!/Eric__Smith
        The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
        Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
        www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
        http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
        http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Dwane Casey has emerged as the clear favorite to land the Toronto Raptors' coaching job and could be installed as the team's new coach by next week, according to sources close to the situation. The Raptors began the week having narrowed their search for a successor to Jay Triano down to the former Minnesota Timberwolves coach and Boston Celtics assistant coach Lawrence Frank. But Toronto has since zeroed in on Casey after interviews with both men this week, drawn largely to Casey's success as the defensive coordinator for a Mavericks team that just won the first championship in franchise history.
          http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=6671128

Casey is our man

Comment

looks like it's a matter of contract detail now. another good reason for hiring Casey is any players let go at Dallas might consider joining him here.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              looks like it's a matter of contract detail now. another good reason for hiring Casey is any players let go at Dallas might consider joining him here.
              Chandler as a free agent would be a great target, assuming his asking price isnt through the roof.

Comment

Aksent wrote: View Post
                Chandler as a free agent would be a great target, assuming his asking price isnt through the roof.
                I can see the sales pitch now. Sure, you won a Championship with Dallas, but why not ignore all the other offers you will have, including re-signing with Dallas, to come to the winters in Toronto to join a 22 win team who just grabbed the 5th pick in a weak draft! Oh, and we've got your old assistant coach, so that sure be the clincher!
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  I can see the sales pitch now. Sure, you won a Championship with Dallas, but why not ignore all the other offers you will have, including re-signing with Dallas, to come to the winters in Toronto to join a 22 win team who just grabbed the 5th pick in a weak draft! Oh, and we've got your old assistant coach, so that sure be the clincher!
                  Money talks! Sometimes.

Comment

optifan wrote: View Post
                    D. Smith's latest blog post: http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Looks like Casey was in for an interview on Tuesday (the man barely had time to celebrate!).

Smith seems to think that Bryco is close to making a decision and it looks likes it could be Casey.
                    Apparently EPSN has a link up saying Sources: Dwane Casey Raptors' Favorite. Follow link to read. http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=6671128

Comment

Tank wrote: View Post
                      Money talks! Sometimes.
                      The thing is, if you throw, say $12 million at Chandler and he accepts, what next? He's not a good enough player to make a huge difference in the win column, or is everyone conveniently forgetting his days in Charlotte and New Orleans? Best case scenario, he gives the Raptors maybe 5-7 more wins. Add those to the maybe 5 wins the Raptors might improve just because of player development and a new coach. That gives the Raptors somewhere in the area of 35 wins. Great. So they've got a 29 year old center with a history of injuries being vastly overpaid, and the rest of the club a good 2 or 3 years away from really hitting their prime, and you probably don't even make the playoffs. Then DeRozan's contract needs to be extended, then Davis', and then whoever they draft next and the Raptors are paying out the nose for a mediocre team. Probably not the best idea.
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

No way Toronto signs Chandler, unless it's part of some wider sign and trade package, with perhaps a 3rd team involved. At least that's my guess.
                        Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

Many think that Casey wasn't important for the Mavs. But he designed their zone defense, and just like Thibodeau is a defensive minded assistant. The Raptors can afford to risk, there is nothing to lose and everything to gain from hiring Casey. The Raptors need to risk now, because the reward is potentially huge. Casey hasn't been given a proper chance to be a head coach (Anyone who mentions Minnesota, the year he was fired he had a 20-20 record and his successor had a 10-32 record. Also he lead them to a 20-20 record with a team worse than Cleveland now) and he deserves a chance.

Comment

Dwayne Casey New Raptors Head Coach

Just received word from Marc Stein, Dwayne Casey will be the Raptors new head coach!

All I have to say is: Woooooooh! let's start planning the parade!

Comment

JalenRose5 wrote: View Post
                              Just received word from Marc Stein, Dwayne Casey will be the Raptors new head coach!

All I have to say is: Woooooooh! let's start planning the parade!
                              Link to source please?

Closest I could find is this: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=6671128, not exactly a confirmation...

Comment

O D wrote: View Post
                                Hoping BC goes left field... Get Riley, or something... we fired Try A NO! for Try A No 4.0? Riley (PAt) Adelman ( my original assumption) Phil Jackson... Hell Ill even take acomputer generated Red Aurebach and Bill Russel as our Lead big man coach... Ill Im sayin is we could have left Try A No! if their was no clear head above shoulder candidate for this year.. We woulda kept TAN (Try A No!) struggled one more year and gotten a head above shoulders coach next year... And And Butch Carter was Niice, It was the non basketball extracurricular shit that fucked shit up.. BC go do your job, your the Hefin GM makin the bucks The way ish is breakin down with the draft, coaching, personnell its lookin like the people here at RR could give you a run for your Money, ANd that shit aint FUNNY!
                                HUH?

Comment

Working...
                                X