Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kanter's Age?

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kanter's Age?

So I have a few questions. Why did Kanter play in the Nike Summit if he was too old? WHy wouldn't he have played on the Worlds team last year when they got silver? It just doesn't add up. Anyone have more information than what is just on the rapcast?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote albertan_10 wrote: View Post
    So I have a few questions. Why did Kanter play in the Nike Summit if he was too old? WHy wouldn't he have played on the Worlds team last year when they got silver? It just doesn't add up. Anyone have more information than what is just on the rapcast?
    It is not like he was born in a unheard of African country. He was born in Switzerland. His age is legit.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

But his defense may not be

Check out podcast 44

http://www.draftexpress.com/podcast.php

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

It a bit of a ridiculous accusation that should never, ever have been given credence, in the first place. PhdSteve really should have called the guy out on this, but he didn't.

As for his defense, all except for one clip of a high school game he played, his defense has looked fine, from what I've seen. Believe me, if I felt there was a serious issue with his defense, I'd be the first one in the anti-Kanter camp.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait he's Swiss? I thought he was Turkish.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Wait he's Swiss? I thought he was Turkish.
    Born in Zurich. Turkish citizenship.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enes_Kanter

The Swiss are known for their accuracy.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

In the podcast Givony among other things says he watched 4 games from Nov-Jan 2010 of his prep school career.
    It is not all negative , but he questioned his effort and his intesity, he played low caliber competition and was "being scored on left and right"

No disrespect intended Tim, but If Givony is concerned I am as well

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

As Matt52 indicates all one has to do is ask the agent for Kanter's Swiss birth certificate....just like the "Birthers" in the US are doing/have done lately re Obama.

EDit: Please disregard...redundant...did not see the other posts.
    Last edited by Bendit; Thu Jun 16th, 2011 at 09:41 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mary Schmitt Boyer: Enes Kanter's agent says he's returning to Cleveland on Monday to work out for #Cavs again and meet owner HoopsHype.com

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jbml wrote: View Post
    Mary Schmitt Boyer: Enes Kanter's agent says he's returning to Cleveland on Monday to work out for #Cavs again and meet owner HoopsHype.com
    very interesting!! do we have a new #1?...or trying to flush out Minny who might be looking to take K #2?
    Last edited by Bendit; Thu Jun 16th, 2011 at 11:10 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    very interesting!! do we have a new #1?...or trying to flush out Minny who might be looking to take K #2?
    It's more likely that the Cavs are considering Kanter at #4.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jbml wrote: View Post
    In the podcast Givony among other things says he watched 4 games from Nov-Jan 2010 of his prep school career.
    It is not all negative , but he questioned his effort and his intesity, he played low caliber competition and was "being scored on left and right"

No disrespect intended Tim, but If Givony is concerned I am as well
    That wasn't Givony. It was a guy named Chris Denker. And I really know nothing about him, but from what I heard on the podcast, I'm not extremely impressed with him, quite frankly.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen a lot of Kantar but keep reading how much everyone wants him in a Raps uniform. From what I have seen from videos and read on websites he has a legit size frame, great motor, is willing to bang inside and has decent footwork. With all of that being said no where have I seen or read anything regarding shot blocking or help side defense. These are areas that multiple people have said we need to improve on so I don't understand why the overall responds is so high on him. Has anyone watched enough of him to testify in regards to his defense, help D and shot blocking?

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    I haven't seen a lot of Kantar but keep reading how much everyone wants him in a Raps uniform. From what I have seen from videos and read on websites he has a legit size frame, great motor, is willing to bang inside and has decent footwork. With all of that being said no where have I seen or read anything regarding shot blocking or help side defense. These are areas that multiple people have said we need to improve on so I don't understand why the overall responds is so high on him. Has anyone watched enough of him to testify in regards to his defense, help D and shot blocking?
    Decent concerns. However, for myself, his motor and willingness to listen & learn (coachable) alongwith the possible negatives you mention and all the other positives makes him an attractive choice. If we were to accept the deficiencies you cite (shot blocking & help D) it's not like this cannot be taught and with Ed Davis who does have these skills on the floor at the same time I think we could live with it for awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

With Ed Davis going to be the future starting PF, the Raptors don't need another shotblocker. Ideally, they need a center who is a strong post defender, rebounder, scorer and someone who is good at team defense. That mostly describes Kanter. He isn't a great defender, but from the footage I've seen, he's a good post defender and has the instincts to be, at the very least, a decent help defender.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Decent concerns. However, for myself, his motor and willingness to listen & learn (coachable) alongwith the possible negatives you mention and all the other positives makes him an attractive choice. If we were to accept the deficiencies you cite (shot blocking & help D) it's not like this cannot be taught and with Ed Davis who does have these skills on the floor at the same time I think we could live with it for awhile.
    If you read my post you will see I'm asking if anyone has watched enough of him to know. I don't look at is as negatives rather limitations in a players game. I'm not sure how much shot blocking you can teach. This is a department that is usually a natural trait and not something that can me manufactured. I think Davis has some of those naturally but it's not as if he was blocking shots at an alarming pace. Work ethic, good motor and coach-ability are great but i still think we could use an interior force and Kantar doesn't seem to be in that mold. Does the fact he hasn't played in over a year of competitive ball alarm you at all?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    With Ed Davis going to be the future starting PF, the Raptors don't need another shotblocker. Ideally, they need a center who is a strong post defender, rebounder, scorer and someone who is good at team defense. That mostly describes Kanter. He isn't a great defender, but from the footage I've seen, he's a good post defender and has the instincts to be, at the very least, a decent help defender.
    You think Ed is enough shot blocking to anchor a defense? I'm high on Kantar as well just don't see him as sure of a thing as others. With that being said I definitely think we need more shot blocking not only from the center position but from the wing. Depending on one guy (averaged 1.03 blocks per game) isn't enough to intimidate any team. Amir and JJ both blocked shots at a more efficient pace then Davis but haven't got any press.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think shot blocking is way overrated. If you look at team stats last year, the Boston Celtics had the second worst blocks per game average yet they had one of the best defenses. Yet Washington on the other hand had the best blocks per game average, and had one of the worst defenses.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I think shot blocking is way overrated. If you look at team stats last year, the Boston Celtics had the second worst blocks per game average yet they had one of the best defenses. Yet Washington on the other hand had the best blocks per game average, and had one of the worst defenses.
    Often a blocked shot goes to the offensive team or out of bounds and is given back to the offensive team. For that reason I have to agree with you. If you can block shots and intentionally have them end up in your teams' possession then you have a skill that makes a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

If you read my post you will see I'm asking if anyone has watched enough of him to know. Does the fact he hasn't played in over a year of competitive ball alarm you at all?
    Dude, no one has seen him play in over a year cause he hasn't played high level competitive basketaball in 2 years. All the evaluations of him are based on one summer game and a tournament he played in two years ago as a 17-year old. That's it. Now, if you've been scouting him since then and have been trackign him closely maybe you have a pretty good idea about the guy but no one on these boards can fully answer your questions. Go listen to Jim Kelly's interview post-Kanter meeting/workout. Everyone has questions about him.

There's a lot to recommend Kanter and he might be worth the risks but you are absolutely right to be skeptical of the guy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information