Clear All

Wizards’ workout with Enes Kanter goes “very, very well”
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...7KZH_blog.html

Comment

jbml wrote: View Post
      ???
      http://www.draftexpress.com/podcast/draftexpress_44.mp3

He said he was Givony, the interviewer identified him as Givony
      We're obviously talking about two different podcasts. The podcast I was referring to where the guy questioned Kanter's age is this one:
      http://raptorsrepublic.com/2011/06/1...ciunas-buyout/
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

j bean wrote: View Post
        Often a blocked shot goes to the offensive team or out of bounds and is given back to the offensive team. For that reason I have to agree with you. If you can block shots and intentionally have them end up in your teams' possession then you have a skill that makes a difference.
        True. I would much rather have lane intimidation over blocked shots. You get your shot blocked, you may be on the wrong end of a highlight. You go against Garnett, you may end up eating the floor.

Comment

He does not have the mobility to be a good defender. European competition hides horrible defenders. They are just not good in that department.

Their league is super behind in playing defence. Their fans do not know what it is, they beat drums and act silly in the stands like it is a soccer game, half of them are too drunk to see how the game is played without the ball. They only understand baskets.
          Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sat Jun 18, 2011, 09:53 PM.

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
            He does not have the mobility to be a good defender. European competition hides horrible defenders. They are just not good in that department.

Their league is super behind in playing defence. Their fans do not know what it is, they beat drums and act silly in the stands like it is a soccer game, half of them are too drunk to see how the game is played without the ball. They only understand baskets.
            Care to stereotype a bit more. As for Kanter's mobility, have you seen him play? He seems pretty damn mobile to me.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

It's not a stereo type its a fact. I am sorry about that, but the defence is awful in the eurolegue. Just horrible, for guys like me the league is unwatchable, I like my D. Seriously have you watched their games? Can you serious tell me they play good D? Because I have tried and I have turned off my TV multiple times.

...but that is not the key issues that makes me hate the eurolegue. The main issue is that they are not durable. 82 games is a lot, guys like Garbajosa just cant do it, Jose can't do it. It's a hard league. Euro players need to pull a hedo, or go limp.

EDIT: Listen, take it the way you want to. I have a lot respect for the NBA, half these guys could not get off the shots that they make in the eurolegue. Dirk told the truth after his rookie year, its VERY different.
              Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sat Jun 18, 2011, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                It's not just based on 4 players in the top 10. It's based on the other teams as well, as well as 25 years, or so, of following and studying the league and of playing the game. Shotblocking is a nice thing to have, but it doesn't necessarily mean good defense, and in fact you can have good defense without shotblocking. The two are not necessarily interconnected, and that was my point.

You were trying to prove your point by bringing up incomplete evidence. I was simply saying a closer look at the evidence will tell you that the evidence doesn't seem to indicate exactly what you say it does.

As for whether the game in 89-90 has any place in this discussion, well, it's still the NBA. Basketball hasn't changed that much since then. The handchecking rule doesn't make shotblocking more important now than 20 years ago. It helps perimeter players on the offensive end, but then and now you still needed your interior defense to be the last line of defense. And while players are bigger and stronger, that doesn't mean shotblocking is needed anymore. THAT is a silly argument.
                When did I say it's imperative or the only way to get a stop? Did I ever say to be a good defensive team you have to block shots? I was simply saying it was a key component to most successful defenses disagreeing to your belief that it's not. Based on teams that have won rings and been ranked high in defensive categories having someone to protect the paint is almost always involved. Of course there are teams here and there that don't have one but the MAJORITY do who have success on the defensive side of the ball.

The reason why I think the hand checking rule does make lane intimidation more important is players can get into the lane much easier and more frequent now. With players in the paint more often do you not see that as a higher importance to have someone in there to protect it?

It's probley best to agree to disagree at this point.

Comment

I never claimed you said shotblocking is the only way to get a stop. I simply disagreed with your argument that it's a key component to a successful defense. I think it's OFTEN involved, but you have to realize that a guy like Dwight Howard only blocked 2.4 shots this past season. That's not really a whole lot. Especially considering that probably only half of those shots were going to go in, anyway. So, in other words, Howard's blocks only prevented probably 3 points a game. And while there are obviously others that he altered, simple team and man-to-man defense prevented more baskets than his blocks.

As for the difference between then and now, the top 5 shot blockers this past year blocked 2.6, 2.4, 2.4, 2.4 and 2.0. In 1990, the top 5 shot blockers blocked 4.6, 4.0, 3.9, 3.2 and 2.6. The average team this past year blocked 399 shots. In 1990, they blocked 415 shots. If it's easier to get into the paint more now, someone forgot to tell the shotblockers.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                    It's not a stereo type its a fact. I am sorry about that, but the defence is awful in the eurolegue. Just horrible, for guys like me the league is unwatchable, I like my D. Seriously have you watched their games? Can you serious tell me they play good D? Because I have tried and I have turned off my TV multiple times.
                    I live in Europe and watch Euroleague all the time, but really can't understand where this is coming from? I would fully agree that the Euro b-ball players are much less athletic so the games lack extraordinary plays as in the NBA. If this is your argument and because of it you cannot watch Euroleague, I'm OK with that. But, saying the defense is that bad is totally wrong. We can argue have you watched this game, or this team, and I couldn't convince you, so how about this...
                    If the NBA was so dominant defensively, a team made of the best NBA players could beat Europe's top teams at will? I hope this is a reasonable argument? Well in the last 10 years there were 3 FIBA World Championships and 2 Olympic games and Team USA lost during these tournaments a total of 7 seven times!!! Not once, not twice, but seven!!! I could understand that once or twice could be an accident, but losing to a number of teams such as Argentina, Spain, Greece, Lithuania, Yugoslavia is no coincidence.
                    I'm with Tim W. on this one great shotblocking and athletic ability doesn't always correspond to great defense. Helps definitely. Perfect example was Garbahosa, he clearly wasn't much of a shot-blocker, certainly wasn't a leaper, but any reasonable guy would say he was a heck of a defender. There are a number of players in the Euroleague that fit this mold, great defenders, but you won't see them in the game highlights.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      I never claimed you said shotblocking is the only way to get a stop. I simply disagreed with your argument that it's a key component to a successful defense. I think it's OFTEN involved, but you have to realize that a guy like Dwight Howard only blocked 2.4 shots this past season. That's not really a whole lot. Especially considering that probably only half of those shots were going to go in, anyway. So, in other words, Howard's blocks only prevented probably 3 points a game. And while there are obviously others that he altered, simple team and man-to-man defense prevented more baskets than his blocks.

As for the difference between then and now, the top 5 shot blockers this past year blocked 2.6, 2.4, 2.4, 2.4 and 2.0. In 1990, the top 5 shot blockers blocked 4.6, 4.0, 3.9, 3.2 and 2.6. The average team this past year blocked 399 shots. In 1990, they blocked 415 shots. If it's easier to get into the paint more now, someone forgot to tell the shotblockers.
                      My argument was that it is often involved with teams that have success. There are ways around it no doubt and some teams have proven it not to be necessary. My point was the majority do and I feel the Raptors as a whole could use it. Especially with our lack of quality perimeter defenders having an intimidating guy in the middle would give our defense a much needed boost.

As for the comment involving Dwight and his 2.4 blocks a game only effecting the score by 3 points a game...... It's his skill of blocking shots that alter many more, force turn overs and keep guys out of the lane. The 2.4 is simply the icing on the cake of him as an intimidating rim defender (shot blocker). And his skill of shot blocking contributes to much much more then 3 points per game.

Impressive stats from 1990 to be honest you definitely put in your time to research and it's appreciated (no sarcasm be the way). I have a question for you though. In your experience is it easier to block a shot of a player who is off balance or one who is balanced going up strong?

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                        My argument was that it is often involved with teams that have success. There are ways around it no doubt and some teams have proven it not to be necessary. My point was the majority do and I feel the Raptors as a whole could use it. Especially with our lack of quality perimeter defenders having an intimidating guy in the middle would give our defense a much needed boost.

As for the comment involving Dwight and his 2.4 blocks a game only effecting the score by 3 points a game...... It's his skill of blocking shots that alter many more, force turn overs and keep guys out of the lane. The 2.4 is simply the icing on the cake of him as an intimidating rim defender (shot blocker). And his skill of shot blocking contributes to much much more then 3 points per game.

Impressive stats from 1990 to be honest you definitely put in your time to research and it's appreciated (no sarcasm be the way). I have a question for you though. In your experience is it easier to block a shot of a player who is off balance or one who is balanced going up strong?
                        The majority of teams have shotblockers, whether they are good defensively or not. I think we are closer to agreeing than you think. My point is that shotblocking is certainly nice, but it's not a necessity. What you seem to be saying is that a lot of good defensive teams use shotblocking to their advantage. I'm not against shotblocking in the least, but getting shotblocking for the sake of shotblocking is a bad idea. JaVale McGee is a poor defender, but a great shotblocker.

I also think, with Ed Davis and Amir, the Raptors have enough good shotblocking. A more complimentary piece would be a better positional defender who is more likely to stay on the ground. The problem with having too many shotblockers is that it can lead to guys being out of position. Optimally, you would like to have a shotblocker, and a guy who is a better positional defender who will cover the shotblocker.
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

One thing that has stuck with several general managers when it comes to Kentucky big man Enes Kanter is the speed and dedication he showed when learning English after arriving to play for the Wildcats last year.
                          Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...#ixzz1PkjKtOj4

Comment

http://morningjournal.com/articles/2...0138250131.txt

Kanter vs Jonas

If Valanciunas’ buyout is completed before the draft, multiple sources indicate the Cavs are leaning toward taking the 245-pounder. However, if the snafu is still hanging over his head, then the 259-pound Kanter could be the pick.
                            “They’re both risks,” ESPN analyst Chad Ford said. “They both have upside. I think if you picked Kanter, you’re picking because he is a bit more polished offensively right now, and he has a better NBA body right now.

“If you pick Valanciunas, you’re picking upside. You’re picking a guy who I know many NBA scouts feel in five years could end up being the best player in this draft, but he’s got a long way to go to get there.”
                            Last edited by jbml; Sun Jun 19, 2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X