No announcement yet.

Raptors Republic Mock Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Leonard - A hybrid forward with terrific length … He has a high motor and plays the game with a lot of energy … Shows improvement in majority of areas from freshman to sophomore seasons … His shooting has improved and he has become a respectable threat from the outside … He is fairly comfortable handling the ball in the open court and is capable of pushing it out off the rebound when the situation calls for it … Even with the improvements to his offensive game, he still continues to contribute heavily in the rebounding department … His huge hangs, length, energy and great timing, allow him to snatch balls on both ends that are well outside of his rebounding area … An extremely quick jumper, he is very good at tipping the ball and keeping it alive on the rim … Has the instincts and shows potential in becoming a very solid defender … His ability to get out in the passing lanes and also contest shots inside make him a very dangerous weapon on the defensive end …
    (courtesy of nbadraft.net)
    - how important is a marion-type player in the east right now?

2. Vesely - most intriguing pick but unless he or DeRozan find a 3 point shot it doesn't make a lot of sense
    3. Kanter - don't have enough work to get a good picture of this guy
    4. Valanciunas - looks stiff but age and height are attractive
    5. Walker - the best resume and yet I feel has bust potential (due to the hype)

I don't think the 2nd or 3rd options (after Irving) of Walker and Knight for point guard are good enough for a position that is becoming increasingly important to have someone dynamic. When you invest on a point guard with a number 5 pick, they better be really, really good. I used to think Knight was good enough, but ever since I seen someone compare him to Larry Hughes I can't get that out of my head.

Comment

Kanter
      Walker
      Leonard
      Valanciunas
      Knight

Kanter because the Raptors need a center, and Valanciunas may not be ready for the NBA next year (due to his buyout). 2012 does not have any good center prospects either. This is the year to get one in my opinion. If Kanter is off the table, then the Raptors should go after Walker. I have been up and down on Walker vs Knight, but have settled on Walker. I just don't think the Raptors should gamble on potential. Walker would be a good asset (ie, trade chip) in the future if he doesn't pan out, but I think he would excel on a bad team, which the Raptors will be in the next couple of years.

Comment

1.kemba walker
        2.kanter
        3.jimmer fredette
        4.kawhi leonard
        5.biyombo
        ya dun noe

Comment

Kanter
          Knight
          Leonard
          Walker
          Biyombo

I share the trepidation over Kanter with the lack of evidence to support his game, but he's big and sounds like a serviceable C right away, which would be nice. I have him narrowly ahead of Knight, who I think has a chance to be the best player out of this draft. I've got Leonard 3rd because I think he'll be a 10-year player in the G. Wallace mold. He and Walker would be my low-risk, mediocre-reward picks. I feel like Biyombo is a reach at #5, but I'm not sold on Valanciunas, and if you're going to reach, might as well reach for a guy who could turn into a defensive all-star sooner rather than later.
          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

walker
            kanter
            knight
            leonard
            biyombo

Comment

1. Kanter 2. Kemba 3. Kahwi 4. Knight 5. Probably Valanciunas.

The toughest for me is the fifth. If we're drafting a big I want a Center not a PF. That is also why
              I feel the best for the Raps would be to avoid the two Euro bigs (even though I rank Kanter and Valanciunas
              high) and select between Walker and Knight. Personally I pick Kemba.

This is a smart, articulate man, who has graduated from a tough school in 3 years... His only knock
              was his lack of height which has been exaggerated. People say he's a shoot first pg, but his first
              two years at UCONN contradict that. He may have the least question marks of anyone in this draft.
              He has no issues with turnovers, or playing a new position, or a high foul rate or any of the other
              issues the other four players on my list have.

If they draft him there are no more leadership questions on this team. And with such a potentially
              young team that may have more value than the high quality of his play.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                1. Kanter 2. Kemba 3. Kahwi 4. Knight 5. Probably Valanciunas.

The toughest for me is the fifth. If we're drafting a big I want a Center not a PF. That is also why
                I feel the best for the Raps would be to avoid the two Euro bigs (even though I rank Kanter and Valanciunas
                high) and select between Walker and Knight. Personally I pick Kemba.
                You know neither Kanter nor Valanciunas is a PF, right?
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

1. kanter
                  2. kemba
                  3.kahwi
                  4. jonas
                  5.knight
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

OP said it was based on who we should take if they're available, and since there's only one other player I like outside of the top two and you have to pick 5..

#1. Kyrie Irving
                    #2. Derrick Williams
                    #3. Kemba Walker
                    #4. Trade the pick
                    #5. Trade the pick

They should take Kemba Walker because he is the best player on the board after the first two. We've all read the threads on height.. he may not have the wingspan of a Rajon Rondo but it doesn't mean he'll suck at defense. Long arms help, but they aren't key. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE KEMBA.
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

one of the SI rumours today has Cleveland taking Derrick Williams #1 and then Knight at #4. that would throw a real doozie into this year's draft

Comment

Minnesota trades out of #2 if DW goes #1.

Comment

Yea that would make things real fun for Minnesota. I'm sure they have a whole bunch of deals like that in the works in case Cleveland decides to do something stupid like that.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

Here's my list

Williams
                            Irving
                            Kanter
                            Kemba
                            Leonard/Valanciunis

Of guys we might actually have a shot at

Kanter
                            Kemba
                            Vananciunis/Leonard
                            Knight

I think that you can't pass on Kanter if he is still on the board, but in my heart of hearts (I know not the best method to draft!) Kemba is my choice, I don't think he'll bust, I think he'll be a quality guy we are happy to have on our team.

I can't decide on between Leonard and Valanciunis because I do like Leonard and would love a Marion-esque player on our roster (actually wanted to resign Marion after the half season he played here, but alas), however, next year's draft seems to be STACKED with SF's and doesn't have much in the way of C's. If you think Valanciunis and Leonard are in the same "tier" and they are both available it probably makes more sense to pick Valanciunis.

However, the questions about Valanciunis' buyout haven't been answered. I have the same problem with Kinght as Tim and others, not sold on his PG skills, I think Kemba is WAY more likely to be a more complete and effective point guard than Brandon.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/dr...ew_toronto.nba

the guys at NBA.com think we should get kemba, they make very good points. some people might find this interesting

Comment

its hard to decide whats the best pick. if you want a leader you take kemba. if you want best available talent you take kanter. if you want to dramatically upgrade the D you take leonard or biyombo. if you want the best potential you take jonas. at 5, any of those guys are a good pick. i don't buy 5 is too high for any one them, if theres no opportunity to trade down a couple spots you take what you want to take.

id love to have 2 of any of those dudes but we'll see how the draft goes. so long as we don't draft vesely i think i'll be ok with whatever bc does.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X