Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raptors Republic Mock Draft

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors Republic Mock Draft

The idea came to me this morning as I was reading about players in the draft that we should start something on here where we get to make our lists of who we would take. I'll therefore set out rules to the thread: 1) Make your top 5 list for who the raptors should take at number 5 if they are available, 2) State who you think they can/should actually pick at 5 and back it up with a reason why. 3) You're only allowed to comment (support or condemn) on someone else's list after you have completed your own list and support for your pick.

My list: 1)Brandon Knight, 2) Enes Kanter, 3) Kawhi Leonard, 4) Kemba Walker, 5) Bismack Biyombo

I think they should draft Kawhi Leonard because he has good size and competes at a very high level. His shot has improved since college because of extensive workout with a trainer and he has a huge drive to get better. The guy has a huge motor and will play his heart out every night. If the Raptors want a change in culture on the team then they need to rebuild with guys who have this type of focus and drive.

Raptors Republic Rookie BayCityBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I know about Kawhi, the more that I like about him. He addresses an area of need (despite the existence of JJ and Kleiza on the roster), has, as the OP has stated, a huge motor and heart and has not touched his ceiling. I'm not sure about him over Enes, but I wouldn't throw stuff at my screen if BC calls his name on draft night. As for Knight and Walker, they both have their question marks. In interviews, they both represent themselves extremely well. What I have seen of their games is impressive, but Kemba is no prototype size-wise and Knight needs to work on the mental aspects of the game in addition to his shot, both immensely important in the pg position.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming they are all available at #5, here is my list. Kanter, Leonard, Biyumbo, Valancious, Walker.

I chose these guys, in that order, because IMO, the Raps most pressing need is to improve on D, and I think that the first 4 of these guys will be a step in the right direction. I realize that there is a risk in drafting Kanter, Biyumbo or Valancious based on service time and level of competition, but some defensive presence and rebounding is what the Raps need from the 5 spot, even if it's just for 15-20 mins a night.
    And before everyone starts pointing out to me that the NBA is a guard-driven league; I know that, I just don't think that this draft is where the Raps are going to find their point guard of the future, and I would rather wait until next years draft, or free agency to address that need.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

My list is very similar to duncan's.

Kanter
    Leonard
    Valanciunas
    Biyumbo
    Walker

Although I'm not really sold on anyone outside of Kanter, and I'm not completely sure about the order after #1.

I'm not sold on Knight because I don't think he has PG skills, and drafting him and hoping he'll learn them is flirting with disaster. Plus, I don't know if he bring anything more than Bayless does.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to go with 5.

Kanter
    KLeonard
    BKnight
    KWalker

I like Biyombo but not at 5 so won't include him. One of these 4 will be there. Any other picks would, for me, be for trading away. I definitely am in the camp of getting another pick.

Kanter is our C solution longer term and hope we can get him/is still available.
    I am impressed with Kawhi's work ethic, length and determination. His defensive focus while working on his shooting abilities is also a plus.
    Both Knight and Walker offer future for the position and allows trade chips.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kanter
    Valancuinas
    Knight
    Leonard
    Faried
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Valanciunas
    Biyumba
    Kanter
    Leonard
    Walker

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Enes Kanter

Enes kanter = bust

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    Enes kanter = bust
    Good in depth explanation there Doc.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    Enes kanter = bust
    You also said that Kanter = Brad Miller. So which is it? Is it that Kanter is going to be an All Star center who will be a valuable offensive and defensive player, or a bust?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Rookie meductic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1 Kanter
    2 Knight
    3 Walker
    4 Leonard
    5 Jonas
    I also feel uncomfortable after Kanter. The biggest thing I like about Kanter is how few centers are available next year, unlike 1,2 and 3's. Biyombo strikes me as having a slightly less skilled offensive game than Julian Wright, and although offense is not everything...

Raptors Republic Rookie HuskyRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

were gonna pick leonard and then try and make a deal for another pick to get Biyombo or vice versa

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    You also said that Kanter = Brad Miller. So which is it? Is it that Kanter is going to be an All Star center who will be a valuable offensive and defensive player, or a bust?
    Oh Snap! In your face, Lecter!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be amazing if we could get another pick and then get Knight/Walker and Leonard later in the draft.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Leonard - A hybrid forward with terrific length … He has a high motor and plays the game with a lot of energy … Shows improvement in majority of areas from freshman to sophomore seasons … His shooting has improved and he has become a respectable threat from the outside … He is fairly comfortable handling the ball in the open court and is capable of pushing it out off the rebound when the situation calls for it … Even with the improvements to his offensive game, he still continues to contribute heavily in the rebounding department … His huge hangs, length, energy and great timing, allow him to snatch balls on both ends that are well outside of his rebounding area … An extremely quick jumper, he is very good at tipping the ball and keeping it alive on the rim … Has the instincts and shows potential in becoming a very solid defender … His ability to get out in the passing lanes and also contest shots inside make him a very dangerous weapon on the defensive end …
    (courtesy of nbadraft.net)
    - how important is a marion-type player in the east right now?

2. Vesely - most intriguing pick but unless he or DeRozan find a 3 point shot it doesn't make a lot of sense
    3. Kanter - don't have enough work to get a good picture of this guy
    4. Valanciunas - looks stiff but age and height are attractive
    5. Walker - the best resume and yet I feel has bust potential (due to the hype)

I don't think the 2nd or 3rd options (after Irving) of Walker and Knight for point guard are good enough for a position that is becoming increasingly important to have someone dynamic. When you invest on a point guard with a number 5 pick, they better be really, really good. I used to think Knight was good enough, but ever since I seen someone compare him to Larry Hughes I can't get that out of my head.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kanter
    Walker
    Leonard
    Valanciunas
    Knight

Kanter because the Raptors need a center, and Valanciunas may not be ready for the NBA next year (due to his buyout). 2012 does not have any good center prospects either. This is the year to get one in my opinion. If Kanter is off the table, then the Raptors should go after Walker. I have been up and down on Walker vs Knight, but have settled on Walker. I just don't think the Raptors should gamble on potential. Walker would be a good asset (ie, trade chip) in the future if he doesn't pan out, but I think he would excel on a bad team, which the Raptors will be in the next couple of years.

Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1.kemba walker
    2.kanter
    3.jimmer fredette
    4.kawhi leonard
    5.biyombo

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kanter
    Knight
    Leonard
    Walker
    Biyombo

I share the trepidation over Kanter with the lack of evidence to support his game, but he's big and sounds like a serviceable C right away, which would be nice. I have him narrowly ahead of Knight, who I think has a chance to be the best player out of this draft. I've got Leonard 3rd because I think he'll be a 10-year player in the G. Wallace mold. He and Walker would be my low-risk, mediocre-reward picks. I feel like Biyombo is a reach at #5, but I'm not sold on Valanciunas, and if you're going to reach, might as well reach for a guy who could turn into a defensive all-star sooner rather than later.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

walker
    kanter
    knight
    leonard
    biyombo

Thread Information