Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: draft best player available or position of need?

Raptors Republic Starter DunkinDerozan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default draft best player available or position of need?

if bayless and calderon can play pg which i beleive they can all of a sudden our position of need becomes center (if move bargani moves to pf) and sf...

q can james johnson can be our starter? if yes then center is our position of need..

what u guys think

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

draft kanter or kawhi

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post
    if bayless and calderon can play pg which i beleive they can all of a sudden our position of need becomes center (if move bargani moves to pf) and sf...

q can james johnson can be our starter? if yes then center is our position of need..

what u guys think
    Well, Calderon has been playing PG for the last 5.5 years, so I'm pretty sure he can do it, as well.

And it's stupid to draft for need rather than take the best player available. That's when you make moves like Aruajo over Iguodala and Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Well, Calderon has been playing PG for the last 5.5 years, so I'm pretty sure he can do it, as well.

And it's stupid to draft for need rather than take the best player available. That's when you make moves like Aruajo over Iguodala and Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.
    +1 Excellent point. Aruajo was a huge mistake, lets not let that happen again.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Best player always. Unless you are coming off the final four...drafting low and then you shore up any needs or draft high potential for the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Best player always. Unless you are coming off the final four...drafting low and then you shore up any needs or draft high potential for the future.
    +1

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kemba

Raptors Republic Starter DunkinDerozan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post

good point... but if he moves to backup im sure he could do really well, and this lets us draft a sf or center ... however if james johnson develops into a legit starter .. all of a sudden a lineup of bayless derozan johnson bargnani and x seems pretty legit ...

but the two quetion marks are how will bayless and johnson be able to handle starting roles... sooo with that in mind do you draft a pg or a sf and let them backup or do you draft a center (assuming best avaiable player left when raptors draft) who can fufill an immediate need ...

Post Thanks / Like

Best talent available is kind of relative in this draft
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Best talent available is kind of relative in this draft
    if we're talkin bout talent then kemba is the player we should draft.

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If brandon knight is not available then draft Leonard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    If brandon knight is not available then draft Leonard.
    i like leonard but we already have james johnson. Who is also a good defender and shot blocker(for his position) and stat sheet stuffer who can basically do everything and plays with a drive and passion to win. All he needs to do this off season is work on his mid range jumper and 3 pt shooting and he will be a good starter next season. I think it would be safer to go with someone like kemba or knight and then trade calderon.

Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

definetly best player a rebuilding team like us need to stock up as much talent as possible and in my opinion kemba is better then knight so we should take kemba walker. try to get another top ten pick and take biyombo with it

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bismack Biyombo hands down.

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

With the way the team is currently, BPA, no question about it. Drafting for need in this draft could be nothing short of disastrous.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

rebuilding teams rebuild around the best players they can find. Out of our lineup the only position I would avoid drafting is PF (Amir and Ed will handle this position for years to come)

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Bismack Biyombo hands down.
    The fascination with Bismack is baffling. I prefer Faried over him any day and not as the 5th pick of course. Personally, the team needs to draft either player that is expected to be at the five spot in the draft (Kanter or Valanciunas).
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    i like leonard but we already have james johnson. Who is also a good defender and shot blocker(for his position) and stat sheet stuffer who can basically do everything and plays with a drive and passion to win. All he needs to do this off season is work on his mid range jumper and 3 pt shooting and he will be a good starter next season. I think it would be safer to go with someone like kemba or knight and then trade calderon.
    I like james johnson too dont get me wrong. The problem that I have with what you are suggesting is that I like Jerryd Bayless and I think he is going to have a break out year like 20+ points a game if we start him. I dont wanna draft a top 5 guy and play him limited minutes and I dont wanna cut in Bayless' minutes. Leonard is a safe pick too, and with the kleiza injury we dont have too much depth at SF. Also leonard is arguably the best defender and rebounder in the draft both huge weaknesses for us atm.

Knight wont be available if he is we should take him, but remember that kemba is 21 while Leonard is 19, the way leonard works on his game by the time he is 21 he will be a MUCH better player. So imo Leonard is a safe pick. I like Kemba dont get me wrong but I like Bayless more.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post

what u guys think
    best player available 99% of the time.

If the Raps move Bargnani to PF, they suddenly have a huge hole to fill at PF.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    best player available 99% of the time.

If the Raps move Bargnani to PF, they suddenly have a huge hole to fill at PF.
    ??? I'm not sure I get what you're saying. I do know that some people in this forum are obsessed with Biyombo because they're hoping that he becomes Bargs' rebounding mule at center while Andrea enjoys his perimeter game as a PF. Such fascination is so short-sighted and narrow. Fine, let's try and get Biyombo and move AB to the 4-spot. Oh, what about Davis and Amir? Oh let's trade them since they're redundant. The new defensive regime spells the end of any player who thinks they do more complicated things than defend. Biyombo is a late first-rounder for a reason.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information