Miami 1st round pick for JJ was premature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami 1st round pick for JJ was premature

I think that if the Raptors saved that pick instead of getting James Johnson for it then they might of had a chance at acquiring a 1st round sleeper like Nikola Vucecic or Nolan Smith.

BC made a premature move with a late pick that teams like Spurs get amazing sleepers with year in and year out.

I'm not saying JJ is a bust but I'd rather see the Raptors get a C or a PG with that pick and then draft a SF like Kawhi.
    Yes
    6.67%
    No
    78.33%
    Can't tell yet.
    15.00%
    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

it wasn't premature at all. he got a solid player for a late, late first round pick in a weak draft. it wasn't like they'd even be able to get a guy like klay thompson or biyombo.

besides, whos to say he can't flip jj? isn't jj's worth more than a late first round pick in this draft?
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

The chances of getting a talent on the level of James Johnson late in the 1st round is very slim. It was a smart, safe play. It wasn't premature, it was smart. They took advantage of a team loaded with depth who needed to make space for future moves.

Late first round usually means "bust".

Comment

look at it this way, if we don't draft kawhi, jj can start the rest of the season in a pinch. next year and down the road he can come off the bench as a sixth man and guard 3 positions. name one guy slated to go in the late first round that will be able to do so.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Without any draft picks having played a single minute of NBA action, how can one come to this determination?

BC made a premature move with a late pick that teams like Spurs get amazing sleepers with year in and year out.
          This is 100% opinion, which obviously you are entitled to, however that does not make it true. It could be eventually but as of now, nope.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            name one guy slated to go in the late first round that will be able to do so.
            I'm talking about if we had the pick and drafted Kawhi we would have a good chance at getting a C like Vucevic or PG like Nolan Smith, I rather we kept the pick and fill one of those gaping holes with a solid backup defender.

Comment

but we have a solid starting defender...
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                I'm talking about if we had the pick and drafted Kawhi we would have a good chance at getting a C like Vucevic or PG like Nolan Smith, I rather we kept the pick and fill one of those gaping holes with a solid backup defender.
                And some rookie taken late first round is going to do that? You're looking at a project that far back in the draft.

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post

How can you say an unproven, yet to be drafted player is a solid back-up defender? I like what Nolan Smith did in college, but he is an undersized 2 guard who can handle the ball a bit, we already have Bayless learning the PG position. Vuvevic is a poor athlete and projects to be a career back-up. Neither player is exactly going to make or break a successful rebuild at this point. I would rather have a late first/early second round pick in 2012 where the draft is projected to be very deep.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Raptors are a weak defensive team with no depth, I would like to see them acquire a late 1st rounder that can impact the bench and we still will get a solid defender in Kawhi.

Comment

Most big men take years to develop. You wouldn't know if the pick was a success until 2014 or so... maybe we revisit this then? I think we're premature on this thread.

Comment

I think the better argument for keeping the pick is that you would have picked a guy you control for a couple more years. Even there, you have JJ locked up for potentially 3 years (assuming the CBA does not change that), so I'm not sure the extra 2 years means much.

Either way, you still have to pick a rotation guy at that spot in the draft who may not work out at all. I am not a huge Johnson fan but he can certainly be a rotation guy on this gawdawful team. You can't say that with certainty about any late first-rounder.

Comment

Overall it was a net upgrade in asset value, and that's really the priority for BC. Although it also insures us against the (hopefully) loss of Weems and Wright in the offseason. And if the rumours are true that we're looking at picking up a second lotto pick, then that late first becomes the third rookie on the team, and unlikely to see any playing time. Also, I think it was good timing, as if anything, the value of that draft pick has gone down with all the players that have dropped out (although Chicago probably would still make the trade, as they seemed to want to do the right thing and move JJ to somewhere he would get playing time).

If there's a guy in the late first or later that BC wants, he can probably get a pick for cheap, as he did with Alibi. As it stands right now, BC has loads of flexibility to move down in the draft, pick up an additional lotto or late draft pick, move major assets at either the PG or C position, take on additional salary with the Bosh TPE... basically, whatever he can get someone else to agree to, he has the flexibility to make work. All of these tools can result in much more significant moves than drafting some raw project.

Comment

Will there be someone better than JJ in the late 1st round and 2nd round? Probably. But it's a huge risk and the chances of BC actually getting that player are pretty slim. It's a smart move that's playing the odds IMO.
                            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

In the past 20 years, only 1 team has had any sort of success drafting out of the 28th spot -- San Antonio. They took Tony Parker, Leandrinho Barbosa, Beno Udrih, Ian Mahinmi, Tiago Splitter over the past few years.

Here are the other in the past 20 years. None of these guys will or have had as much promise as James Johnson. That's not to say Johnson is a slamdunk, but take a look at these names: Les Jepsen, Kevin Lynch, Lucious Harris, Marlon Maxey, Deon Thomas, Greg Ostertag, Priest Lauderdale, Keith Booth, Corey Benjamin, Scott Padgett, Erick Blarkley, Dan Dickau, Maurice Ager, Donte Green, Wayne Ellington.

Okay, I'll give you Greg Ostertag, but Utah has always had a history of getting more out of their players than their talent suggests.
                              Last edited by ebrian; Mon Jun 20, 2011, 12:44 PM.
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

Working...
                              X