No announcement yet.

Miami 1st round pick for JJ was premature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't even understand this thread. James Johnson is pretty limited offensively but through the preseason and the first few games he has easily been the best defender on the team. He needs to make better decisions offensively, some of his passes are just poor, but I've seen nothing to indicate that he is not on his way to being a solid NBA player, possibly even a starter if he can get a jumper and learn how not to throw the ball to the other team. Seriously, were talking about a small forward who is averaging 1.7 blocks and 6 rbs a game, those numbers are solid, plus he does get a couple assists a game.

Maybe one of these late picks ends up being a world beater, but there is a very good chance BC, like everyone else, would have probably missed that pick.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I think that if we kept the pick and got Cory Joseph like BC tried to, then we would have our PG of the future, still sucked it up and in this years draft get the franchise SF we much needed.

I see JJ as a shortcut with low risk.

But if BC can some how muster up another lottery pick or even 1st rounder and get Myck or Kendall then I'll forgive him lol.
      Last edited by e2thed; Sun Jan 1, 2012, 03:32 PM.
      NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Is JJ = Shane Battier? The same Battier that many were lusting after in FA this year? Pretty close IMO, so even if JJ continues to play at the same level he is right now, we got a great defender to come off the bench and he should get smarter with age.

James Johnson (Toronto)
        Year GP GS MIN FG% 3P% FT% OREB REB AST STL BLK TO Foul PTS
        10-11 25 25 28.0 46.4% 24% 70.7% 1.2 4.7 3.0 1.0 1.1 1.8 2.8 9.2

Shane Battier (Memphis)
        10-11 23 0 24.2 42.6% 33.3% 88.2% 1.4 4.0 1.4 0.7 0.4 0.7 1.3 5.0

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
          My instincts were correct, I knew BC shouldn't have traded it ,he could have gotten Cory Joseph like he wanted to.

And look at my first post, the Spurs took that dude 'cause they know hes the sleeper of this draft as well.

If JJ becomes an elite defender under Casey then I'll swallow my words with ease. But until that day, I still think BC fucked up kinda.
          What does Cory Joseph do that Bayless can't do? They're the exact same player - 6'3" combo guard. It's a bit early to crown anyone the sleeper of the draft considering it's 5 games in.

Johnson brings a lot to the team. He's a decent defender and rebounder - and it's been shown.

Comment

James is still trying to find hill role with the team. He was tossed in as a starter when he got here last season and probably felt he would have that role again. Now that he is coming in off the bench he needs to find his spots on offense and things will be more than fine, already he has had games with 6 steals and 8 rebounds, and also games with 4 and 5 assists. Let him drop a few shots to build up his confidence and we will be fine.

Corey Joseph, PG of the future...... Not sure I would bet the farm on that one.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
              I think that if we kept the pick and got Cory Joseph like BC tried to, then we would have our PG of the future, still sucked it up and in this years draft get the franchise SF we much needed.

I see JJ as a shortcut with low risk.

But if BC can some how muster up another lottery pick or even 1st rounder and get Myck or Kendall then I'll forgive him lol.
              Cory Joseph flat out stinks. He was lucky to even be drafted in the 1st round (any other year, he would not have been). Some were suggesting that he declared for the draft because he knew he'd lose minutes to Kabongo this year.

I don't care if Joseph's Canadian. I'm glad he didn't end up in Toronto. He's not the solution to our PG problem.

Comment

SandmanFan wrote: View Post
                Is JJ = Shane Battier? The same Battier that many were lusting after in FA this year? Pretty close IMO, so even if JJ continues to play at the same level he is right now, we got a great defender to come off the bench and he should get smarter with age.

James Johnson (Toronto)
                10-11 25 25 28.0 46.4% 24% 70.7% 1.2 4.7 3.0 1.0 1.1 1.8 2.8 9.2

Shane Battier (Memphis)
                10-11 23 0 24.2 42.6% 33.3% 88.2% 1.4 4.0 1.4 0.7 0.4 0.7 1.3 5.0
                At least for me, Battier's appeal was less about his stats, and more about his experience and leadership.

Comment

Ok, it's a good time to dredge up this old thread - one of those debates which could only be settled depending on how the future played out. At the time BC stated unequivocally that there would be ".. nobody available at the Raptors pick <28th> with the level of talent of a James Johnson...." What do we think of that statement today?

Consider the players available at 28th or later....

Chandler Parsons (38th)
                  Isiiah Thomas (60th)
                  Lavoy Allen (50th)
                  Jimmy Butler (30th)
                  Kyle Singler (33rd)
                  Norris Cole (28th)
                  E'Twaun Moore (55th)

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    Ok, it's a good time to dredge up this old thread - one of those debates which could only be settled depending on how the future played out. At the time BC stated unequivocally that there would be ".. nobody available at the Raptors pick <28th> with the level of talent of a James Johnson...." What do we think of that statement today?

Consider the players available at 28th or later....

Chandler Parsons (38th)
                    Isiiah Thomas (60th)
                    Lavoy Allen (50th)
                    Jimmy Butler (30th)
                    Kyle Singler (33rd)
                    Norris Cole (28th)
                    E'Twaun Moore (55th)
                    talent? I still think no. Desire and brain? yes much better was available.

Comment

James Johnson has the talent to be a very good defender and game changer on that end. But he's a moron so all that talent is down the drain

Comment

+1. Good talent, shitty basketball IQ.

Comment

I think that is the problem in a nutshell, someone already figured out the upside of a JJ and moved him to us for that pick. The idea that he could be a piece moving forward, turned out to be false and a waste of effort on our part.

I don't like being the 2nd one to kick the tires.

Comment

Also, how JJ turns out for someone else, is irrelevant.

He came in as late 1st pick, and left netting us a 2nd round pick. So we lost asset value on the transaction. For a player that got major minutes under our system, he did not seem to rise much in value, which is strange for young guy drafted that early. (Bryan certainly can be faulted here)
                            Last edited by BasketballCrush; Sat Feb 9, 2013, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X