Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CBS: Buyer Beware!

Post Thanks / Like

Default CBS: Buyer Beware!

A couple of names associated with the Raptors made this list...

Bismack Biyombo

Fear Factor: 4

Super-athletic foreign big comes out of nowhere, ramps up a ton of hype, then goes to workouts and .... wah-wah. Biyombo has talked about leading the league in blocks and rebounds. Bravado is excellent. But it can also belie an effort to gain a foothold on something other than ability. Biyombo brings great length and athleticism but no polish or offensive repertoire. So he's kind of the anti-Jimmer. But players in Biyombo's mold can either be a revelation or a colossal bust. Just for comparison's sake, the last player similar to Biyombo in terms of physical nature was Thabeet.

Good luck with that.

Kemba Walker

Fear Factor: 3

Similar concerns as Fredette, only magically shorter.

When Walker measured in at 6-1 vs. the 5-11 many scouts had him pegged at, the phrase "See, he's not short at all!" was used. This despite the fact that he's still short, he just plays and seems shorter than he actually is. Walker has a tremendous scoring ability, but defensively there are going to be questions. There have been plenty of players of diminutive stature to make it in the NBA and even become borderline stars. But few of them have been drafted at Walker's projected position or with his expectations. Walker was the college player of the year for a reason. He was also kept out of the top ten for most of the year until the talent stampeded out at the end.

LINK

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Biyombo is nothing like Thabeet. o.o

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish people would stop talking about Walker's size. Meanwhile some people are calling him the best defensive PG in the draft.

And the guy is actually bigger than Aaron Brooks, Ty Lawson, and Jameer Nelson. IMO a lot of teams are going to regret not taking him a year from now.
    Last edited by Employee; Wed Jun 22nd, 2011 at 01:08 PM.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Whoever wrote that should have their earlobe flicked
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    I wish people would stop talking about Walker's size. Meanwhile some people are calling him the best defensive PG in the draft.

And the guy is actually bigger than Aaron Brooks, Ty Lawson, and Jameer Nelson. IMO a lot of teams are going to regret taking him a year from now.
    The fact that they can only find fault in the number 73 and the fact that he listens to his coaches should say it all. He will be a good pro no matter where he ends up being drafted.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not underestimate Kemba.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

i think kemba will be a fine pro, but when he has to guard someone like John Wall or Derrick Rose, how will he fare defensively?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote zulfi wrote: View Post
    i think kemba will be a fine pro, but when he has to guard someone like John Wall or Derrick Rose, how will he fare defensively?
    how does anyone fare defensively against those guys? I can't imagine the guy will be a lock down defender... but I also don't expect him to be bad

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

CP3 led the league in steals last year. Same height.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Kemba should be our pick, hands down and no question!!! The last time I looked, pg's were not supposed to be shot blockers!

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, how do most? Do you think Brandon Knight can hope to guard those guys? I don't. What about Tony Parker? Not a chance in hell. This is like knocking a guy because he can't contain Dwayne Wade or Kobe Bryant.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Kemba would be a fine pick. I think everyone knows Biyombo is a high-risk pick. I'm not saying his game is similar, but his rise in hype reminds me a lot of Tyrus Thomas. Everyone salivated at this big athlete built strong and defensively-minded. Well, years later I think regardless of what you think of Thomas he was a huge reach at #4. Biyombo would be a great mid-late lottery pick for a team that already has a decent frontline and can therefore let him learn the game without high expectations. He's definitely a potential defensive freak, but his one on none workout video makes reggie evans look like hakeem olajuwon.

Post Thanks / Like

biyombo is not a high risk pick
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and to add to that I think our frontline is good enough to let Biyombo develop at a his own pace, but he's still not a great pick at #5. Maybe if we can get our hands on Charlotte's, which is apparently shopping their picks.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...55501734_x.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    biyombo is not a high risk pick
    have you seen his workout video? It's in here somewhere. Looks pretty raw to me. And yes I realize you're not drafting him for offense, but if his offense is this bad, he's going to have to be the best defensive player on the floor every night to be a starter. Think Dennis Rodman or Dikembe Mutombo as the types of impact that would make him worth a top 5 pick.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...-Biyombo-5902/

Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't be difficult for him to be the best defender on the floor in Toronto. I think you need to change your barometer.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't say best defender on the floor in Toronto, I said best defender on . Period. That means outperforming guys like dwight howard, gerald wallace, josh smith, lebron james etc... In that category every time we play them. For example, Lebron James would have to be scared of Bismack blocking HIS shots from behind every time he's on the break.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I think Alvin Williams (sitting on the bench) is still the best defender in Toronto.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    have you seen his workout video? It's in here somewhere. Looks pretty raw to me. And yes I realize you're not drafting him for offense, but if his offense is this bad, he's going to have to be the best defensive player on the floor every night to be a starter. Think Dennis Rodman or Dikembe Mutombo as the types of impact that would make him worth a top 5 pick.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...-Biyombo-5902/
    It's true he can't shoot but then neither can Ed Davis. Or Amir. Or any number of great big men. He can finish around the rim however and while you are right in saying he is raw, there is a silver lining

There were a couple of bright spots for Biyombo though. Seeing 33% (1st) of his touches as the roll man on the pick and roll, he finished at a solid 65% (6th) and draw fouls on nearly 31.8% (2nd) of those possessions. The Congolese center has a remarkable frame, and that shined through at times when he bowled his way through contact or finished a lob pass with a dunk.

Part of Biyombo's problem revolves around his desire to do too much at times. When he wasn't turning the ball over, he managed to finish his post-up plays (63% FG, 1st) and cuts (73%, 3rd) at a solid rate, getting fouled about 20% of the time in the process, so picking and choosing his spots will likely be a key for him.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz1Q2pxa5DD
    http://www.draftexpress.com
    Basically he is ok at the pick and roll which if he played for the Raptors is likely all he would ever do anyway. He has a lot of work to do to become a good offensive player but he isn't one of these guys who is completely offensively challenged like a Reggie Evans. The fact that he can come in here and be a difference maker defensively right away makes any amount of rawness on offense worth it.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

This was the paragraph before the bright spots.

Overall, Biyombo ranks last in this group in points per-possession at 0.86, primarily because he didn't finish at the rim at a high rate and turned the ball over frequently. Like Valanciunas, Biyombo saw more than 80% of his shots at the basket, but he finished them at a 12% lower rate, making just 56.1% of them last season. He also turned the ball over on 25.8% of his half court possessions, the highest mark in this group, showing that, despite his ridiculously large hands, he struggled to hold onto the ball in traffic at times. Considering this was Biyombo's first taste of high level basketball, it isn't surprising to see a player with so many physical tools, still struggle.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz1Q2sJmlsV
    http://www.draftexpress.com

Thread Information