Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Casey Hired As Raptors New Head Coach (Press conf. in post #121)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see what the Raptors have that the Pistons don't. The Raptors probably have the fewest number of real assets in the league. Overpaid vets, no promising young stars, no realistic roadmap for bringing in stars, terrible front office, disastrous reputation. Even though the city of Detroit is essentially a third world bombed-out wasteland, it would have been a better choice. There are enough tradeable assets there to bring in some difference-makers.

Comment

Maybe this was the recruitment video:

10 Most Dangerous Cities in the World in 2010 !!!
      1. Baghdad, Iraq
      As this horrifying image depicts, a river of blood coupled with bombed out vehicles is nothing new to the locals of Baghdad. The war-torn capital of Iraq was declared the least safest city in the world, according to Mercer’s 2008 quality of living global index. With a history of violence, war, bombings and bloodshed today’s Baghdad has seen little change despite the execution of their ruler Saddam Hussein. Since the U.S. invasion in 2003 more than 650,000 civilians have lost their lives and thousands of others have fled the danger.

2. Detroit, USA
      The American city known as “Motor City” was the top of Forbes’ list of the ten most dangerous cities around American in 2009. The magazine based its finding on violent crime statistics, which they obtained from the FBI’s crime reports. In case you were wondering there was a reported 1,220 violent crimes committed per 100,000 people in the city.

3. Karachi, Pakistan
      Ranked as one of Asia’s lowest-scoring destinations for personal safety according to Mercer’s study. In recent years Karachi has seen repeated terror attacks and suicide bombings. In February this year more than 30 people were killed in a dual bomb attack, while in December 2009 another blast saw the death toll reach over 40 (pictured).
      Source: Urban Titan

I'm thinking the city itself wasn't the only factor but it played a part.

The Raptors also have more long term value on its roster than Pistons have.

Comment

- They have a 32 year old RIchard Hamilton signed for 2 more years at $12 million a season.
        - A 27 year old Ben Gordon signed for 3 more years at around $12 million a season.
        - Charlie Villanueva, who's a slightly better rebounding version of Bargnani, to 3 more years at $8 million a season.
        - Jason Maxiel, who is probably at the same level as Joey Dorsey, for 2 more seasons at $5 million a season.
        - They really only have two decent young prospects, in Greg Munroe and Jonas Jerebko.
        - The team's average age this past season was 27 years old, yet they only won 30 games.
        - They probably won't be under the cap (as it's set now) until 2013.

The Raptor's situation isn't great, but it's better than Detroit's.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
          I don't see what the Raptors have that the Pistons don't. The Raptors probably have the fewest number of real assets in the league. Overpaid vets, no promising young stars, no realistic roadmap for bringing in stars, terrible front office, disastrous reputation. Even though the city of Detroit is essentially a third world bombed-out wasteland, it would have been a better choice. There are enough tradeable assets there to bring in some difference-makers.
          Every problem the Raptors have that you listed.... Detroit is in the same boat, but worse.

What does Detroit have other than Monroe? There is nothing on that team I would touch with a 10ft pole except Monroe.

Dumars choke job of trading Billups for Iverson, then signing Ben Gordon and Charlie V (still thinking of how terrible of an idea that was) is leading to a slow death in a city on life support. One thing Raps fans can always lean on.... atleast we aren't Detroit.

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
            this taken from ESPN's article on the whole ordeal. If it doesn't mean anything other than coaches in the league see the potential our team has, I'm ok with that.
            It might also have something to do with Carlisle's past with the Pistons. But I agree with Tim, they have a roster with overpaid mediocre talent and veterans, all of whom will be hard to trade, and few young talent. They need to clean up first before there will be a team to build on and with (or somehow get real lucky).

Comment

Sources told ESPN.com that Casey was already in New York on Monday observing the Raptors' private pre-draft workout of lottery hopeful Bismack Biyombo.
              http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6684112

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                If he gets Bargnani to play defense suddenly the Raptors become a legit threat.
                You know if he could do that, I'd want Bargnani to stick around. He doesn't have to be a great rebounder or defender - I'll settle for average as long as he is putting the effort in.

Sadly, I don't think this will happen - as much as I'd love to be proven incorrect.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  You know if he could do that, I'd want Bargnani to stick around. He doesn't have to be a great rebounder or defender - I'll settle for average as long as he is putting the effort in.

Sadly, I don't think this will happen - as much as I'd love to be proven incorrect.
                  If he could even make Bargnani dish out a decent foul once in awhile instead of letting guys get by with free dunks/lay-ups I'd be more inclined to keep him.

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                    No he doesn't. We don't all look alike.
                    i couldnt find another celebrity that does that would make the half assed joke work other than tommy davidson... the runner up was the dude who played senator clay "sheeeeeeeit" davis on the wire

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      - They have a 32 year old RIchard Hamilton signed for 2 more years at $12 million a season.
                      - A 27 year old Ben Gordon signed for 3 more years at around $12 million a season.
                      - Charlie Villanueva, who's a slightly better rebounding version of Bargnani, to 3 more years at $8 million a season.
                      - Jason Maxiel, who is probably at the same level as Joey Dorsey, for 2 more seasons at $5 million a season.
                      - They really only have two decent young prospects, in Greg Munroe and Jonas Jerebko.
                      - The team's average age this past season was 27 years old, yet they only won 30 games.
                      - They probably won't be under the cap (as it's set now) until 2013.

The Raptor's situation isn't great, but it's better than Detroit's.
                      If Washington traded Gil Arenas' rotting corpse those assets are all very tradeable.

Comment

Finally A Coach That Can Actually Coach..Triano Was A Big Mistake..Triano's Reply After Loosing By 100 Points"we played better on the defensive end tonight and im proud of my guys"

Comment

If Washington traded Gil Arenas' rotting corpse those assets are all very tradeable.
                          Yes, and all they had to do was take back a 31 year old SF with 2.5 more years at $20 million+ per season, on the down side of a precipitous drop in production over the last couple of years. So in other words, they had to take on a $20 million, 13 ppg scorer whose per has gone from 20 to 12 in the last 5 years.

So yes, they're tradable, but chances are you're going to have to take back equal garbage back.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

D-Money wrote: View Post
                            Finally A Coach That Can Actually Coach..Triano Was A Big Mistake..Triano's Reply After Loosing By 100 Points"we played better on the defensive end tonight and im proud of my guys"
                            Judging Triano's coaching on the mess he was given is an even bigger mistake. Triano wasn't a great coach, but I don't know a coach who would have done much better. And who really cares what a coach says the press? Of all the complaints about Triano, what he says to the press is one I don't understand in the least. He's not coaching the media.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Not every other GM is an Otis Smith to just take on an overpaid veteran. There was still the belief around the league that in the right surroundings, Gil could thrive whereas no-one's taking a flyer on Rip (who besides having a rep as an egotistical so and so is becoming one of the more inefficient, older players in the league "http://dberri.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/the-pistons-finally-learn-the-rip-hamilton-contract-extensions-was-not-a-great-idea/", the undersized and overpaid Ben Gordon, or Charlie V who is capable of Andrea levels of defensive ineptitude for 47 minutes per game. Besides, Colangelo's shown us in the past that he's capable of transforming dreck (Araujo, Kapono, Turkoglu) into gold dust (Kardashian, Evans, Barbosa (although a goat with a limp and one functioning eye would have still been more useful than Hedo)). And I would argue that people would rather play with DeRozan and Ed Davis than Jerebko and (the other) Bynum.

3. Karachi, Pakistan
                              Ranked as one of Asia’s lowest-scoring destinations for personal safety according to Mercer’s study. In recent years Karachi has seen repeated terror attacks and suicide bombings. In February this year more than 30 people were killed in a dual bomb attack, while in December 2009 another blast saw the death toll reach over 40 (pictured).
                              Hot damn, we're number 3! My city's improved. Multiple bombs, crime, power outages, murder, gangs, political and sectarian warfare, religious strife, unimaginable heat, non-existent infrastructure, black markets, corruption, pollution....and we're still better than Detroit
                              Last edited by Captain Haddock; Mon Jun 20, 2011, 10:41 PM.
                              "Come back, Lisa, you little love killer...Come back Lisa, Lisa Lisamiller."
                              -Newsradio

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                Judging Triano's coaching on the mess he was given is an even bigger mistake. Triano wasn't a great coach, but I don't know a coach who would have done much better. And who really cares what a coach says the press? Of all the complaints about Triano, what he says to the press is one I don't understand in the least. He's not coaching the media.
                                Truer words never spoken. I particularly enjoy when fans attacked him for what we heard in the huddles, you think they would have shown him saying, "Would one of you please play some f**king defense?!" on tv?
                                "Come back, Lisa, you little love killer...Come back Lisa, Lisa Lisamiller."
                                -Newsradio

Comment

Working...
                                X