Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Al-Farouq Aminu for Barbosa

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Al-Farouq Aminu for Barbosa

Aminu and 2nd rounder for Barbosa

Rationale:

LAC are reportedly looking for an impact SF now as they want to compete now - rebuild is over, winning begins (hopefully). They have enough cap room to absorb Barbosa with Aminu going out. This leaves them with more than enough to re-sign Jordan and they can use Kaman to help get the SF they covet (Camby and Batum for Kaman?). Barbosa would be a great player off the bench behind Gordon.

Toronto gets a very young player (only 20) with considerable upside - number 9 pick last year. He is 6'9" with extremely long arms. He played with JJ at Wake Forest so they could possibly rekindle some magic from their very successful one year together. In the right environment and with a year under his belt, I think Aminu could be set for a break out season. The 2nd round pick is added with the premise of adding a player who might have slipped and a cheap way to fill out the roster. LAC has their own DET and HOU 2nd rounders. The Raptors also shave $5M off their salary cap number for next year.

After this trade I would go very hard after a new sixth man man to replace Barbosa. The two names I would pursue are Arron Afflalo and JR Smith. Afflalo may not want to leave DEN as they still want him and he would no doubt continue to start. However if Toronto could sell him as his place as a sixth man and 30 minutes a game combined with a very respectful salary (remember, they saved $5M on the trade) he might consider - by the way I have no idea for this to be true or not, just guessing. If Afflalo says no, then JR Smith - and all his baggage - might be a very good option. It would be a gamble but one could only hope he continues to mature and realize the special gifts and talents he has. As an aside, JR Smith would mean good bye Triano and hello to a coach that holds EVERYONE accountable. I think JR Smith could be had for less as well.

I think these two moves would shore up the wing positions for starters and back ups: DD, Smith, JJ, Aminu. Then sign Daequan Cook and James Jones as the third string.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I deffinetly like this trade. Another strong young player on the wing would be very helpful.
    And although their rebuilding may be over they still need to grow together and that could be time for him to devolop there.
    I am not sure if they are ready to compete yet, although maybe they think other wise.

Do they want to break up their young guys?
    Is barbosa better, and will he be better over the next few years?

I am not sure La does this trade, but I think we should try for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote bballnut27 wrote: View Post
    I deffinetly like this trade. Another strong young player on the wing would be very helpful.
    And although their rebuilding may be over they still need to grow together and that could be time for him to devolop there.
    I am not sure if they are ready to compete yet, although maybe they think other wise.

Do they want to break up their young guys?
    Is barbosa better, and will he be better over the next few years?

I am not sure La does this trade, but I think we should try for it.
    I most definitely agree with your thinking about LAC breaking up the core. However, I wonder if it is certain Aminu is part of that core. Eric Pincus is the LA-based chat guy on Hoopsworld.com. He seems to be pretty sure the Clippers are looking for an impact player at SF now or a young player that has shown he is a player now (Batum). Aminu, as high on him as I am, was still a rookie this year and still an unknown.

My thinking is the Clips will use Kaman to get the SF they want - Kaman for Camby and Batum?
    They need depth, experience, and scoring off the bench which Barbosa provides.

LAC would look like this:

PG: Williams, Bledsoe
    SG: Gordon, Barbosa, Foye
    SF: Batum, Gomes
    PF: Griffin, Camby
    C: Jordan

They would have their guards and wings done. They need to address depth at PF and C positions.

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not bad but I rather see Barbosa here next season, thats my opinion though.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be for this. I love his size and athleticism I just wonder about upstairs. I didn't watch many clipper games but I didnt really hear about him doing much this season. Is he a project type player?

Anyways, I still like the trade.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

They came out at the end of the season and stated that they should have aged the kid more. He's a top ten lotto pick. I think the would want more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    They came out at the end of the season and stated that they should have aged the kid more. He's a top ten lotto pick. I think the would want more.
    I had not heard that but I would agree 100%.

Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd do this trade for sure, so long as the Raps didn't draft Williams, with one caveat. I agree also - and have proposed elsewhere in the forums - that Barbosa on the Clippers makes sense.

Barbosa is one of the best trade assets the team has, and that should be seen as more valuable than anything he might be able to contribute on the floor next season, given the current state/needs of the team. Having said that, the caveat would be that I would like to see what else Barbosa might be able to net.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the Clippers would definitely want more for him, but I think it might be a very good guy to target
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

How weird is it to say the clippers are in win now mode?
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

As a Raptors fan, I'd love for it to happen. From a Clippers perspective, it's not enough. I don't think the Clips want to have a $7 mil backup for Gordon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I had not heard that but I would agree 100%.
    My bad. I just noticed a typo. I'm glad you got what I was saying still.

The kids were thrown into the fray, and then they were watching more often than desired.

"From a development standpoint, I think we could have done a better job with Al-Farouq [Aminu] and [Eric] Bledsoe, at times," said Neil Olshey, the Clippers' vice president of basketball operations.
    Source: L.A. Times

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    I'd do this trade for sure, so long as the Raps didn't draft Williams, with one caveat. I agree also - and have proposed elsewhere in the forums - that Barbosa on the Clippers makes sense.

Barbosa is one of the best trade assets the team has, and that should be seen as more valuable than anything he might be able to contribute on the floor next season, given the current state/needs of the team. Having said that, the caveat would be that I would like to see what else Barbosa might be able to net.
    I don't want you thinking I poached one of your ideas. I have thought about Barbosa to the Clippers a few times. The addition of Williams might make the idea less likely now - if it ever had legs before, that is. This trade was from January 13th.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post59388

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

no thanks

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like this deal for the raps and I'd do it in a second. In terms of getting Aminu away from the Clips, if they are serious about bringing in a top flight 3 and making the playoffs next year, this is actually a decent deal. Barbosa only has one year left, so your not taking any risk financially and you are getting a guy who can play either guard spot and has experience being the go to bench guy on a contender in the past.

My only concern with this deal is that, while the clips become a better team with Barbosa, is he the best return they can get for Aminu? A package of Kaman for Batum and Camby is good, but what couldd they get for Kaman and Aminu as a package? If they are serious about contending, I would think they'd try to get someone like Ariza, Odom, Artest, Josh Smith or a maybe even Igoudala, which would seem more likely if they offered a prospect like Aminu along with Kaman.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

Touted for his ability to develop talent and connect with the younger players, the 2010-2011 season was a mixed bag for VDN. Bledsoe and Aminu regressed in some areas and improved in others, but I thought he mishandled both of their situations to some extent. Bledsoe lost his starting job the night after guiding the Clippers to their first road win of the season. And Aminu didn’t get another opportunity to start over Gomes after those early November and December games, despite outplaying Gomes the whole year. What made matters worse, was when Gomes went down at the end of the season with a knee injury and, instead of inserting Aminu into the starting lineup, VDN played Randy Foye at the starting small forward position.

I interviewed Aminu before Oklahoma City Thunder game on April 2 (the huge comeback game), right after I listened to the VDN presser and found out that Randy Foye was going to start at small forward, not Al-Farouq Aminu.

Aminu was slumped in his seat next to his locker, slowly snacking away at an apple. He answered my questions, just like he always, but he was clearly unhappy. When I asked him about Ryan Gomes being injured he only responded with an apathetic reply.

“Gomes ain’t playing?” He went back to snacking at his apple.

I asked him if he thought he would get more minutes with Gomes out.

“Nah, not really. Never know what the rotations are, sometimes what’s his name plays… Randy Foye. So, being a rookie I just, whenever I’m out there, I’m out there.”

Aminu clearly stressed the disconnect and/or disappointment between him and VDN, because VDN had just told the press that Foye would start, and his references to his teammate, Foye, were clearly dismissive.

Of course, this was right in the midst of Vinny trying to get the younger guys to be more disciplined. In theory, I really like the idea of Vinny holding the guys accountable and I thought his best moment of the whole year was when he properly managed the Baron Weight/Knee crisis at the beginning of the year. But if VDN is going to admonish Aminu (and Bledsoe) for his turnovers and fouls, he should at least take notice that Aminu was, in fact, improving.
    http://clipperblog.com/2011/06/15/th...-farouq-aminu/

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a bad trade, but I think if they are looking for an impact SF, the team giving away that SF might like a young one to fill the void. On another note, don't you think Camby & Batum for Kaman is extremely one sided??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Akinyele wrote: View Post
    Not a bad trade, but I think if they are looking for an impact SF, the team giving away that SF might like a young one to fill the void. On another note, don't you think Camby & Batum for Kaman is extremely one sided??
    One sided for who? If Kaman is healthy, he is a top 5 C in the league. Batum's lustre has worn this year - all indications are he is no longer untouchable.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a big if. I think Portland has had it's fair share of C's with injuries, no? 12.4 and 7 isn't really doing it for me. I'd rather have Camby's 4 and 10 if I'm Portland with Batum. I don't think Chris Kaman is going to get Portland where it wants to go. Maybe throwing in another chip to Portland would look more appealing to me. Maybe adding Rudy in the mix and try to get back Foye & Aminu as well?

To LAC: Camby, Batum, Rudy, Babbitt

To Por: Kaman, Foye, Aminu

I think the TB might bite at that one a bit more

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i don't see portland doing that trade
    @jerboat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information