Chad Ford Mock Draft 6.0: Raptors STILL selecting Jan Vesely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chad Ford Mock Draft 6.0: Raptors STILL selecting Jan Vesely

Analysis: Bryan Colangelo saw both Vesely and Bismack Biyombo this weekend in New York. Biyombo is a much bigger leap of faith at No. 5 than Vesely is. Kemba Walker and Kawhi Leonard are in the mix as well. But Vesley has been the favorite for a while, and I think he still is.
    Top 10:
    CLE - Irving
    MIN- DWilliams
    UTAH - Knight
    CLE - Kanter
    TOR - Vesely
    WAS - Leonard
    SAC - Walker
    DET- Biyombo
    CHA - MMorris
    MIL -KThompson

If the Raps know that they like Biyombo, but don't want to take him at 5, why not trade down with Sacramento at 7 - who really likes Walker, and pick up an asset in the process like Casspi?
    Yes
    10.71%
    No
    89.29%

The poll is expired.

Did Valanciunas kill someone? He went from 4 to out of the top ten.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
      Did Valanciunas kill someone? He went from 4 to out of the top ten.
      It's cause he's playing another year in Europe.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
        It's cause he's playing another year in Europe.
        Yup. He's made it known that he wants to play another year in Europe and that dropped his stock significantly. A lot of people pegged him to go 4 to Cleveland. Now a lot of people are saying he'll drop all the way to #14 to Houston.

Comment

ok, i'm going to put a stone cold guarantee that if kemba is available at 5. the raps are picking him.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Since there's a chance there won't even be a next season, who cares if Valanciunas is going to miss a season. It's not as if he doesn't want to come. The only reason he won't come next season is because his current team wouldn't let him. I'd rather see the Raptors take Valanciunas than Vesley, Walker or Knight.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

this year's draft sucks. my attention has been towards the draft since the middle of january, hoping raps pick up someone like sullinger, irving, barnes, or even perry jones...instead we get vesely or walker (players who will be come decent rotation or maybe even starters but nothinig special). part of me wants leanoard but next year's draft is stacked with SF so maybe next year is a better year to fill the SF void. I'd take Kanter at 5 if he's available though

Comment

What the hell is up with Chad Ford's Vesely infatuation? I have a hard time believing he'd be ahead of Knight, Walker, Kanter or Valuncianas on the Raps board. I'd be surprised if he's even ahead of Kawhi

Comment

Hope Vesley is a smokescreen for the Wizards who draft next and have been reputedly very interested in him. They of course dont have need for a pg and something could come out of making a switch with them.

Comment

Valanciunas is a good pick and the best center in the draft..we are not gonna contend for the next couple years so whats the rush..wow we bring in a guy that helps us win 5 more games and only hurts are chances of getting teague,kabango or harrison barnes.

Comment

I think vesely reminds chad ford his son...that he wishes that he has..

Comment

David Thorpe will have you believe that Alabi will be a good center in 2 years, and some people in these forums believe he's part of this team's young core. Jonas Valanciunas is 2-3 years out and plays the same position. I cannot see Jan Vesely going top 5.

My money's still on Kemba Walker.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

Vesley is a very intriguing prospect but it's too much of a gamble at 5 I can't see BC taking him on a 2 year deal. I think it's gotta be Kantar, Walker or Leonard who he chooses from as Knight is off the board. Chances are he goes with Leonard and gives Bayless a year to show what he can do with the starters role. Casey is talking defense and Leonard seems like the most NBA ready defender of the group that will be available.

Comment

Kemba is an excellent defender who led major point guard prospects in steals and blocks. He fits in better with our athletic core, and imo addresses more of a need than Leonard.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                              Vesley is a very intriguing prospect but it's too much of a gamble at 5 I can't see BC taking him on a 2 year deal. I think it's gotta be Kantar, Walker or Leonard who he chooses from as Knight is off the board. Chances are he goes with Leonard and gives Bayless a year to show what he can do with the starters role. Casey is talking defense and Leonard seems like the most NBA ready defender of the group that will be available.
                              i don't buy the 'too much of a gamble' bit...in a weak draft, where the talent level is fairly even once you're past the top two picks, can anyone really be considered a 'gamble?' sure, there are guys who are slated as late first rounders that you wouldn't pick in the lottery simply because there are clear-cut better options available...but realistically, the guys grouped 3-12 are pretty close in ability. there's talk of kemba slipping past 10...and also going 3rd. how often does that happen? and it's the same with half a dozen guys in the lottery, the range is all over the place. i've always felt that you pick the best player for your particular situation, regardless of where he's ranked. if you like leonard, but feel he's not 'worthy' of the 5th (but is, somehow, worthy of the 7th, for example), then just take him (unless someone's giving you something of value to swap picks, and you KNOW he'll still be available with that later pick).

FWIW - i do like leonard, but fear he may be one of the biggest beneficiaries of some of the top prospects dropping out. he's got all the skills (even offensively, i don't think he's nearly as unpolished as others), but what bothers me is that he never really jumped out while at SDSt as 'the guy.' in his interviews, he seems very humble, and i know he's got a rep as a hard-nosed, get-after-it player...i just didn't see much of that in college. maybe it's just his style...not flashy, team-oriented, does the dirty stuff, etc. might be a perfect complementary piece ('cause you know you aren't getting a franchise-changer with the 5th pick in this draft).
                              TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Working...
                              X