No announcement yet.

Casey in, draft in a couple days, lets talk FA's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samuel Dalembert WOULD Be A Perfect Fit...
    KEMBA
    Demar
    Shane Battier
    Ed.D
    Samuel Dalembert What do you guys think?

Comment

If we had a substantial amount of money I would try to go after Marc Gasol, but Memphis isn't going to let him go after the post-season they had. Same goes for DeAndre Jordan, whom I'd love to have, but LA will match any offer he sees.

Chandler won't leave Dallas, and Nene will not want to come and play in Toronto even if we could afford him. If we aren't going after a young legitimate Center (Gasol, Jordan) I wouldn't spend big money at any other position when we can draft a young piece at #5 (either Knight, Walker or Kanter in my opinion) and rely on our useful assets to trade for a big (i.e. preferably Calderon as part of a package as he's our most tradeable asset as a veteran PG on a near expiring deal).

In free agency I would target one of Shane Battier, Tayshawn Prince or Grant Hill. We need stronger perimeter defense, an ability to stretch the floor with 3 point shooting, along with some veteran leadership to show the young guys what it takes to succeed in this league. You could probably get one of those guys for a portion of the mid level exception and i'd be comfortable offering a 3 yr $12-15 million dollar deal to any of them. They'd be productive for a couple years and by the time they are on their last legs the younger pieces we have should be improved enough to push them to the bench anyways. My guess is Memphis won't have room for Battier with Gay coming back from injury and Allen, Mayo, and Young also in the mix so he would be the most likely guy to pursue.

Not to mention the draft next year is LOADED with small forwards, so I'd feel way better about pursuing a veteran to fill that hole rather than drafting Leonard at #5 when you're likely to find yourself in the lottery again, but this time in a much stronger draft.l BTW I can't figure out why some people think vesely or Leonard would be that much of an upgrade over James Johnson; Johnson averaged over 1 block, 1 steal, about 5 boards and showed some nice passing ability at times. Neither vesely or Leonard can shoot, so I'd rather try to develop JJ for another year than bring in a rookie at the same position who has similar faults.

Thoughts?

Comment

D-Money wrote: View Post
        Samuel Dalembert WOULD Be A Perfect Fit...
        KEMBA
        Demar
        Shane Battier
        Ed.D
        Samuel Dalembert What do you guys think?
        Battier is getting up there to be of any long term use to this team, and while I was not in support of Dalembert previously, I think Casey would kick his ass if he acted up.

Comment

I think Dalembert from a positional perspective is a good fit, as he would be a defensive anchor and provide the 10+ boards, 2 blocks a game if he got starters minutes.

My concerns are that:

A) He's 30, and in order to entice him to come to a 20 win team you'd have to offer him at least 5 years and I don't think he'll be nearly mobile and athletic enough at 33 nevermind 35 to justify the contract
          B) Everything I've ever heard about Dalembert is he can be a serious drauma queen at best, and a cancer at worst. He has an inflated sense of what his role should be on a team. If he was OK with being Joakim Noah, Tyson Chandler, Dikembe Mutumbo, etc and simply focusing on rebounding and help defense than he'd be fine, but he loses focus and gets lazy when he doesn't get his way
          C) Is he going to play hard on a rebuilding team after he inks a long term deal that pays him between $8-10 million a season?
          D) If we are unwilling/unable to offer him big time dollars, he'd surely take the mid-level exception from a contender in need of size (i.e. Miami, NY, etc)

Comment

i would love the raps to add afflalo, his perimeter defense is much needed on our team
            ya dun noe

Comment

Im pretty confident that if we offer D Jordan a good looking contract like we did with jack it would be tough for the clippers ti match it, the tpe we have is set to expire so might as well use it to try and get him, he's still in his prime and would fit
              in our long term plans. As long as it doesn't affect our cap too much, i say get him and let him hold the fort down till we get our center of the future.

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post
                I disagree. The only substantial difference in our payroll between this year and next is Barbosa, and for all we know he might opt out. And we really have no idea what to expect in terms of the new collective agreement. I'm not saying we should go all out to sign anyone, but there are some good centres on the market this year and that is one of our biggest needs. If we can sign a good starting centre who is in his late twenties, that wouod be a good move. I do not think the Raptors will be at the bottom of the standings next year: I think internal improvement from DeMar, Bayless, Davis, Johnson, and Bargnani will mean we will be drafting much more near the middle. If that is the case, I think we might as well try and add a good long term piece and start contending for a playoff spot.
                The amount of money the Raptors have to spend is only part of it. If Barbosa does opt out, they'll still be a 22 win team with very little talent, going in a somewhat questionable direction. The ONLY way you're going to get a decent free agent to sign is if you vastly overpay him. And if that happens, the best case scenario is that he improves the Raptors enough to make the playoffs. Then what? Then you're stuck with an overpriced veteran, no cap room and not nearly enough talent to turn the team into a contender.

All these people who are in such a hurry to make the playoffs don't seem to mind the fact that it would most likely doom the team to mediocrity, since they simply don't have the talent to become a contender. There isn't ONE guaranteed All-Star on this team, let alone the 3 or 4 you'd need to want to pattern yourself after the Detroit Pistons.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

G-locity wrote: View Post
                  Im pretty confident that if we offer D Jordan a good looking contract like we did with jack it would be tough for the clippers ti match it, the tpe we have is set to expire so might as well use it to try and get him, he's still in his prime and would fit
                  in our long term plans. As long as it doesn't affect our cap too much, i say get him and let him hold the fort down till we get our center of the future.
                  The Raptors can't use their TPE to sign a player. Only to trade for one. And the Raptors would probably have to offer Jordan a contract in the range of $12-16 million, if they don't want the Clippers to match, which would completely eat up their cap room for, at least, the next few years. And while I like Jordan's potential, I don't think he's worth $12-16 million, especially with what is expected to be a much tighter economy in the NBA.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    The amount of money the Raptors have to spend is only part of it. If Barbosa does opt out, they'll still be a 22 win team with very little talent, going in a somewhat questionable direction. The ONLY way you're going to get a decent free agent to sign is if you vastly overpay him. And if that happens, the best case scenario is that he improves the Raptors enough to make the playoffs. Then what? Then you're stuck with an overpriced veteran, no cap room and not nearly enough talent to turn the team into a contender.
                    For the record, I am against overpaying for a veteran. If they will only come on an excessive contract, fuck 'em. But we are not looking at end of career veterans who want to contend. We are looking for middle career veterans who want a slightly bigger paycheck than what anyone else is giving. If we can get a guy for a good price, great. If not, no big deal.
                    All these people who are in such a hurry to make the playoffs don't seem to mind the fact that it would most likely doom the team to mediocrity, since they simply don't have the talent to become a contender. There isn't ONE guaranteed All-Star on this team, let alone the 3 or 4 you'd need to want to pattern yourself after the Detroit Pistons.
                    I wonder whether season after season of failure building up bad habits and low expectations isn't just as likely to doom the team to mediocrity.

But honestly, another #9 or 12 pick is probably not going to be the difference between the Raps being contenders or not. It's going to be the deals that Colangelo makes next summer, and how much our current core internally improves: they may not be sure-fire all stars, but if they get a lot better, we might be contenders, and if they don't we won't. Whether we make the playoffs next year won't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X