Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spurs Offering Tony Parker? Looking to draft Valanciunas? (See post #74)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly is Parkers contract? does anyone know the year/amount break down and options/guarantees?

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
      What exactly is Parkers contract? does anyone know the year/amount break down and options/guarantees?
      He's got 12.5 each season for the next 4 seasons, but the 4th season isn't guaranteed. I think it's partially guaranteed - to the tune of 3.5-4 million (although that part I'm not 100% sure of.. I'll do some digging around)

EDIT: Found the deets.

Details of the four-year contract extension Tony Parker signed last week have trickled out and a couple of the particulars are interesting.

For one thing, the deal calls for a non-escalating salary. Parker is to get $12.5 million for the 2011-12 season, and in each of the three succeeding seasons. This would seem an obvious nod to the uncertainty of the increases that may, or may not, be allowed under a new collective bargaining agreement.

Even more interesting: Only $3.5 million is fully guaranteed in the final season, 2014-15, when the erstwhile All-NBA point guard will be 32 years old.

Finally, the deal includes no trade kicker, that would have increased Parker’s salary in the event of a trade. Manu Ginobili’s three-year, $38.9 million deal, signed last spring, does include a trade kicker, according to a league source.
      LINK
      Last edited by MangoKid; Wed Jun 22, 2011, 10:38 AM.

Comment

If splitter was involved I'd listen, but he's not.

Anyways, it's looking like he's going to the kings who are in full "win now" mode. Would be a good move, I think. There goes our chance at another lotto pick, tho. Sigh.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
          You know it's funny...for all the talk of this being a weak draft, there are an awful lot of championship calibre teams looking to trade cornerstones of their franchise to get into the lottery.
          My opinion it is weak on superstar talent but strong on solid long-term players up to the 20th or 23rd picks.

Comment

If you try to compare Parker to kid also compare Dallas to TO. Toronto isn't full of vet talent and a hall of famer in Dirk!
            The only way Toronto are going to be able to attract free agents here is by building a solid team with a ton of talent. Raps dont have that talent yet, so lets keep building untill we do. Our best chance is to pull a franchise player in next years draft, so lets not add ageing stars this year and throw a proper rebuild out the window.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              If splitter was involved I'd listen, but he's not.

Anyways, it's looking like he's going to the kings who are in full "win now" mode. Would be a good move, I think. There goes our chance at another lotto pick, tho. Sigh.
              What if the trade allowed us to get SAC's pick such as:
              SAC: Bargnani, Bayless
              SAS: #5, Calderon
              TOR: #7, #29, Parker, OCasspi, JThompson
              Draft: Biyombo at 7, and a PG at 29 like Darius Morris (if he falls), Iman Shumpert (if he doesn't rise too far), Reggie Jackson or Julyan Stone.

PG: TParker, Shumpert/Jackson/Stone
              SG: DDerozan, LBarbosa
              SF: JJ, OCasspi, LKleiza
              PF: ED, Amir
              C: Biyombo, JThompson, SAlabi
              Salary: ~46.5M with LB coming off next year (if he opts in or isn't extended at less $), Parker is around 3yrs (4th if not bought out) to develop/mentor the PG drafted, Casspi and Parker provide 3pt shooting, the big rotation is very solid D with average O, scoring from the backcourt.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                Jeff, I was thinking the same thing. I think it has more to do with this being a weak draft and thus more of the lottery teams being willing to trade out that usual. For example I'm sure in 2003 there were some championship caliber teams wanting to trade up, but there was just no chance any of those teams would even entertain the idea of trading down. But because it's such a weak draft for the first time those teams might consider a quick-fix option over a young prospect, even if it costs them a little extra coin.
                That's exactly what I find peculiar. People keep saying there's not a lot of sure things...but you've got the Spurs - the Spurs - probably the best drafting team in the history of the league, looking to trade their most recent finals MVP for one of those "uncertain" rookies. Then you've got the Lakers talking with Minnesota - rumours of which haven't yet been quashed - about trading the guy they wouldn't trade before in order to keep Kobe from leaving for what would likely be Derrick Williams.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but if the Spurs come calling asking for me for a high lotto pick in exchange for a part of their core, I couldn't help but have to reconsider my draft pick valuations.

And Tim - how could you think the Spurs want anyone but Valanciunas? To me it's clearly the guy they want. I can see where Knight would fit, but the Spurs have to be licking their chops over the prospect of being able to pry Valanciunas from other more desperate teams. They can wait on him to develop. And when he does, they'll have not only stolen Blair, but J.V. from the rest of the league, and along with Splitter will have their frontcourt beyond adequately manned for the next 10 years.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                  What if the trade allowed us to get SAC's pick such as:
                  SAC: Bargnani, Bayless
                  SAS: #5, Calderon
                  TOR: #7, #29, Parker, OCasspi, JThompson
                  Draft: Biyombo at 7, and a PG at 29 like Darius Morris (if he falls), Iman Shumpert (if he doesn't rise too far), Reggie Jackson or Julyan Stone.

PG: TParker, Shumpert/Jackson/Stone
                  SG: DDerozan, LBarbosa
                  SF: JJ, OCasspi, LKleiza
                  PF: ED, Amir
                  C: Biyombo, JThompson, SAlabi
                  Salary: ~46.5M with LB coming off next year (if he opts in or isn't extended at less $), Parker is around 3yrs (4th if not bought out) to develop/mentor the PG drafted, Casspi and Parker provide 3pt shooting, the big rotation is very solid D with average O, scoring from the backcourt.
                  That's a pretty raw deal from a Kings standpoint. Giving up the 7th pick plus Casspi and Thompson for Bargnani and Bayless? Too little talent coming back their way.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                    I normally have to preface my response with, "do you understand how the salary cap works?", but seeing as we have no idea what the new CBA will be like, I'll refrain. That said, I am highly doubtful that the new CBA will make it even easier to acquire free agents when above a set salary, and that is why trading a potentially cheap and controllable asset for a potential albatross is a BAD idea.
                    I think this point, along with TimW's comment about how many wins Parker would add pretty much end the discussion. You can make a good argument that the #5 pick + whatever is fair value for Parker but adding Parker isn't going to make this a 55 win team and doesn't really change much. Now, if trading for Parker is step #1 and you are looking at adding an elite player alongside of him then the trade starts to make sense. But I don't think the Raps have the pieces to do a Boston-style rebuild in one offseason by acquiring 2 or 3 stars.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
                      I'd be very interested to see which player the Spurs would draft with the 5th - and then draft that guy.

If Parker comes to Toronto, I wonder which player's wife he would sext with first?
                      Apparently I guessed wrong. The reports say the Spurs are targeting Valanciunas, who has, not coincidentally, risen to the top of my wish list.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                        That's a pretty raw deal from a Kings standpoint. Giving up the 7th pick plus Casspi and Thompson for Bargnani and Bayless? Too little talent coming back their way.
                        Perhaps, but new rumours that San Antonio want to include RJefferson could have him going to SAC, SAS drop themselves under the cap while, potentially, getting their big man rotation for the years to come, and SAC gets the veteran presence they say they want this year.

SAC would then look like:
                        PG: JBayless, BUdrih, PJeter
                        SG: TEvans, MThornton, FGarcia
                        SF: RJefferson, DGreene
                        PF: DCousins, DJackson, HWhiteside
                        C: ABargnani, SDalembert (re-sign)
                        I am not so convinced they shun that, especially since they would still be under the cap (current #s) even with re-signing Sammy D.

Comment

Perhaps, but new rumours that San Antonio want to include RJefferson could have him going to SAC, SAS drop themselves under the cap while, potentially, getting their big man rotation for the years to come, and SAC gets the veteran presence they say they want this year.

SAC would then look like:
                          PG: JBayless, BUdrih, PJeter
                          SG: TEvans, MThornton, FGarcia
                          SF: RJefferson, DGreene
                          PF: DCousins, DJackson, HWhiteside
                          C: ABargnani, SDalembert (re-sign)
                          I am not so convinced they shun that, especially since they would still be under the cap (current #s) even with re-signing Sammy D.
                          I'm pretty sure they'll shun that. I don't think you'll find any Kings fan that would advocate their team taking on Bargnani and a steadily declining Richard Jefferson (not to mention he has 3 years and 30 million left on that contract) for the lotto pick, Casspi and Thompson.

Out of curiousity and from a Raptors standpoint/fan, would you let Bayless have the reigns to the PG position next season?

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                            I'm pretty sure they'll shun that. I don't think you'll find any Kings fan that would advocate their team taking on Bargnani and a steadily declining Richard Jefferson (not to mention he has 3 years and 30 million left on that contract) for the lotto pick, Casspi and Thompson.

Out of curiousity and from a Raptors standpoint/fan, would you let Bayless have the reigns to the PG position next season?
                            I am not averse to it. He is not the style of PG I prefer, personally, but it definitely depends upon who we draft/can draft. If we have a shot at Kanter with only one pick, then I am good to go, but if Kanter is gone, I would be more inclined to draft Walker or Knight, and gain another pick to get Biyombo.

You?

Comment

If you don't care about winning anytime soon then Bayless is an option. They can even go get Milt Palacio to come in and back him.

Comment

I am not averse to it. He is not the style of PG I prefer, personally, but it definitely depends upon who we draft/can draft. If we have a shot at Kanter with only one pick, then I am good to go, but if Kanter is gone, I would be more inclined to draft Walker or Knight, and gain another pick to get Biyombo.

You?
                                I wouldn't, which is why I'm really liking Walker or Knight at number 5.

Comment

Working...
                                X