No announcement yet.

Barbosa Leaving? Nope, he is staying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't like the idea of the Raptors having a lot of cap room to spend this summer. On who? Realistically? DeAndre Jordan? You really think the Clippers are not going to match anything that isn't outrageous when they might finally have a group of players they can win with? Do you want to spend $8 million on Wilson Chandler in order to lure him to a 22 win team? $8 million for a decent player who won't ever be an All-Star?

To me, it makes more sense to enter the free agent market when you have more of a set foundation and simply need to plug a hole or two. Kind of like CHicago did. They already have Rose, Noah and Deng. They already had made the playoffs, but needed a couple of things in order to get to the next level. Things that they couldn't find outside of the lottery.

The Raptors aren't even in a position where they know what they need, yet. Everything. I say wait until next summer and they have a couple of more lottery picks. Then they'll be in a better position to a) know what they need and b) attract a decent free agent without having to massively overpay him.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      I really don't like the idea of the Raptors having a lot of cap room to spend this summer. On who? Realistically? DeAndre Jordan? You really think the Clippers are not going to match anything that isn't outrageous when they might finally have a group of players they can win with? Do you want to spend $8 million on Wilson Chandler in order to lure him to a 22 win team? $8 million for a decent player who won't ever be an All-Star?

To me, it makes more sense to enter the free agent market when you have more of a set foundation and simply need to plug a hole or two. Kind of like CHicago did. They already have Rose, Noah and Deng. They already had made the playoffs, but needed a couple of things in order to get to the next level. Things that they couldn't find outside of the lottery.

The Raptors aren't even in a position where they know what they need, yet. Everything. I say wait until next summer and they have a couple of more lottery picks. Then they'll be in a better position to a) know what they need and b) attract a decent free agent without having to massively overpay him.
      Cap space is for more than free agents. It makes trades much easier to consummate.

Comment

Barbie Bluffing

Sounds like a bluff to me...Barbosa's trying to fish an extension out of the Raps by presenting Brazil and Europe as a real option, no chance (no NBA team is offering anything worthy at his point with the new CBA hanging in the balance). We need to hold firm, he either opt-in or opts out and we get cap space this year or next.

Comment

I Hope He Ops In..Come February He Would Be Perfect Trait Bait....We Could Easily Get A First Round Pick For Someone Looking To Make A Playoff/Championship Push.

Comment

that's true, too. a team like the spurs, OKC or the bulls needed scoring in the playoffs and it cost them dearly. im sure a late round pick would be feasible.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'll miss the randomness of his game if he goes. Seems like you never know where the ball is going to go when it's in his hands. That being said, no real place for him long term especially if we draft a PG or a wing. On the plus side, it lets Bayless stay if BC can't or doesn't want to move him.

Comment

I hope he opts in and we give him an extension. he's the only player on this team that knows how to be good. we need hes veteran stability and work ethic. Good defense leads to turnovrs and fast breaks. and we have a 1 man fast break.

Comment

Zigus wrote: View Post
                  he's the only player on this team that knows how to be good.
                  Word.

Comment

I hope he signs and we move him. That is what shouldve happened at trade deadline last year, but BC dragged his knuckles and now we want to buy another pick but got nothing to show for it.

Comment

Barbosa Rumblings...

The Raptors' Leandro Barbosa was all smiles on Wednesday playing soccer in New York at former teammate Steve Nash's charity soccer event.

But back in Toronto, his brother, trainer and confidante Artur is immersed in the reality that Leandro has a difficult decision to make. Barbosa has about a week to decide whether to opt out of his $7 million-plus deal with the Raptors -- possibly to become the highest-paid basketball player in Brazil.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...erseas-options
                      to be honest I would love it if he opted out.
                      REASONS I DONT THINK HE IS A GOOD FIT IN TORONTO:
                      1) lousy disinterested defender
                      2) way too banged up every season
                      3) older than core group / game on decline
                      4) if you are stuck with Kleiza and Calderon and you do draft a PG he will be collecting dust anyhow if you want to develop younger players.
                      5) inconsistent from long range
                      6) if you have 3 PG's would rather see Bayless getting minutes @ 2 spot
                      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Well Charlz this shows me you did not even watch Barbosa play for Toronto this past season, you may have watched Raptor games, but you were not watching players.

Barbosa was a pleasant surprise on defense for us, while he is not a lock down guy his effort and results were pretty good, I would say he did a better job defending the 2 than Derozan.

Hes he has been banged up, but it is not like he does not play through some of the minor stuff.
                        He is an almost 40% career 3 point shooter and you call him inconsistent....
                        If we have 3 point guards one of Jose or Bayless are gone before seasons end.
                        An entire team can't be made up of early 20's players, you need a vet or 2.

While there are reasons to not want him back, the ones you mention are pretty silly.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Nope ure not wrong!!!

For that kinda money...well u could get shane battier or tayshaun prince.
                          I hope he opt's out..raptors have more money,think about it.

U have line up of...

Brandon Knight....plzzzzzzz let him drop
                          Demar Derozan...Break out year...Allstar
                          Tayshaun Prince...Bryan Colangelo always wanted him...he be perfect.
                          Ed Davis...Block Party
                          Tyson Chandler...Won a ring...money is the key...ohh yeah Casey helps 2...

P.S

Notice I didn't put Bargnani or Calderon in the mix...I hope the god there gone,u really think these guys really care about defense...LOL.
                          We watched them for soooooo long..enough,Good Bye!!!
                          Last edited by Dr Hannibal Lecter; Thu Jun 23, 2011, 11:25 AM. Reason: grammar
                          "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                          My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

I'm gonna merge this with the other Barbosa thread, k, guys?

Comment

LOL. I got beaten to the punch.

Comment

You have to be fast in this neighborhood. I'm merging threads at Kemba Walker speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X