Barbosa Leaving? Nope, he is staying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbosa Leaving? Nope, he is staying.

“As the time rapidly approaches for Leandro to make a decision regarding his option to remain in Toronto as part of the Raptors for the coming season, there are several different things that we are looking at. First and foremost, there is the possibility of exercising our option and staying in Toronto. This would allow us to continue the relationship we have with the exceptional fans here and with the entire Raptors organization. However, before we decide, we have been testing the market and the market has expressed a great deal of interest. As we previously said, we are letting the market determine where Leandro will play. For us this is a business decision and will be driven by market competition.

In addition, we are trying to determine what is the best fit for Leandro in the long term and not just for this next year. There has been talk of the possibility of the Raptors offering a multi-year deal so that we can stay here, however as things stand today, no formal offer has come from the Raptors. So at this time we are looking at what is being offered in the marketplace.

We have received offers from different teams in Brazil and while we are in the final stages of negotiations with them, we have yet to come to a final agreement. We are also aware of the heightened interest from many of the top European teams and are definitely open to that possibility. There are several factors that the European teams have indicated that show their interest in Leandro. For example, Leandro’s game suits a European style because of his great shooting ability and many teams in Europe would love a skilled offensive player such as Leandro. Furthermore, Leandro’s reputation as a great teammate and an open-minded player is attractive to European clubs because he would adapt quickly to a new environment. Leandro also has many years of international experience in FIBA basketball.

We will analyze their offers but we also need to make a decision soon (within the next few days). Leandro will be a valuable asset to any club that he plays for; the clubs in Brazil know this and the teams in the Euroleague also know what he can do for them.

As is the case with any professional athlete, Leandro’s real interest is being able to play the sport that he loves - basketball. Although he would miss the city of Toronto and all of the great fans were he to leave, he understands that a professional athlete’s career is short and he needs to be where he has been given the best offer. Being able to play basketball and compete at a world-class level, whether it be in Europe, Brazil, or North America, is what he has been working for all his life. Leandro has been fortunate for the opportunity to have been able to do this with many different organizations. As we look for the best place for him now at this point in his career, we must consider all of the options available to him. The next few days will be crucial as we figure out what we will do.”
    Source: HoopsHype.com

It sounds like he might end up leaving the option with the Raptors on the table.

Great news, this gives Casey and Colangelo a lot more room to work with players which are in the future plans and also FA wise.

Comment

I'll co-sign that. I like Barbosa but at this stage of the game for this team the cap flexibility is more valuable to the team.

Comment

Plllllleeeeeease opt out.

Personally, I think they are trying to milk an extension from Toronto.

I will be very happy if he opts out. He is a good player, don't get me wrong, just not at $7.6M and not when his game relies on speed and he is going on 29 with a young team not ready to compete for a couple more seasons.

Comment

frees up more cash to throw at deandre jordon/wilson chandler
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'm really, really hoping he opts out. There's no doubt he's a good player, but that 7 million is worth more to us than he is at this point.

Comment

Why am I sensing insincerity in how he is truly sold on the Raptors, their fans and the city?
              He says it is a business decision driven by market competition.
              So in other words give me a better offer than everyone else or I'm gone.

Comment

What if he opts out and we sign him to a 3 year 12 mil deal (4 per)?
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Is there a deadline before which he needs to exercise the option? I saw that Diaw already excercised his.

Comment

pakdawgie wrote: View Post
                    Is there a deadline before which he needs to exercise the option? I saw that Diaw already excercised his.
                    June 30th.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                      What if he opts out and we sign him to a 3 year 12 mil deal (4 per)?
                      He can almost get two thirds of that amount over one year if he opts in.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        He can almost get two thirds of that amount over one year if he opts in.
                        Yah, he would probably be looking for a 4yr deal, although still probably in the $4M per range if being realistic. No reason to suggest he is being realistic though.

Comment

I think he would opt in and then look for a contract extension. The three year deal you mentioned sounds really good for him in that scenario.

Comment

I think a major factor is the potential for a lockout (even though it's not mentioned in the article). My understanding is that FIBA and NBA rules, as they stand now, prevent signed players from playing overseas, which, for Barbosa, could wipe out a year of earnings during his prime. But if he opts out, he's free to play wherever he wants regardless of whether there's a lockout.

I'm sure he'd also be interested in a multi-year extension that carries his contract well into the next CBA, if the Raptors were to offer it. But really, playing a lockout-shortened year for a portion of his current contract, and then negotiating a new contract a year into the new CBA is a worst-case scenario for him.

I like him a lot, but agree with the sentiments in this thread: salary flexibility is more valuable to us right now than Barbosa.

Comment

I've always been a huge fan of the 'blur' and I want him to opt back in.

But this process is completely driven by his agent, Any offer he receives in Europe would be matched by an NBA team, so I don't see him pulling a Josh Childress.

And he may go home to Brazil closer to his professional twighlight years, but not when he's still in his prime.

He'll hold out for the best NBA offer, which means he'll probably come back to the Raptors.
                              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Working...
                              X