Raptors Draft Day Information & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Draft Day Information & Discussion

The NBA Draft starts at 7:00 PM E.T. and can be viewed on both TSN2 and NBA TV. If you do not have either be sure to check in here as there will commentary on the forum throughout the night.

Toronto Raptors Team Overview

2010-11 record: 22-60

Fifth place, Atlantic Division

Did not make the playoffs

DRAFT PICKS:
    Round: 1

Areas of Strength:
    Youth and athleticism. The Raptors just posted their worst record in 13 years, but they've arguably got more of a plan now than they've had since they last made the playoffs four years ago. They've got a young core that gives the franchise some hope for the future.

Needs Work:
    Defense and experience. That youthful core needs a leader to keep them focused for 82 games. Defensively, the Raptors need a complete overhaul.

Two Stats That Matter:
    2 -- The Raptors are the first team to rank last in the league defensively in two consecutive seasons since the Clippers did it in 1998-99 and 1999-00.

112.5 -- Raptors' opponents scored 112.5 points per 100 possessions when Andrea Bargnani was on the floor. That was the worst on-court defensive rating among 299 players who logged at least 750 minutes.

The Way To Go:
    Though they've got a lot of young talent, the Raptors don't have a singular player to build around. So their choice at No. 5 should be the best player available, which may be a European that doesn't necessarily play for them next season. No matter what they do with the pick, they'll need to improve defensively via free agency, trade (they still have $9 million left on their Chris Bosh trade exception), or a coaching change.

2010-11 Team Stats:
    Offensive: 103.3 (20th)
    Defensive: 110.0 (30th)

Players Under Contract:
    G: Jerryd Bayless
    G: DeMar DeRozan
    G: Jose Calderon
    G: Leandro Barbosa (Player Option)
    F: Ed Davis
    F: Amir Johnson
    F: James Johnson
    F: Linas Kleiza
    C: Andrea Bargnani
    C: Solomon Alabi

Free agents:
    G/F: Sonny Weems (Restricted)
    F: Joey Dorsey (Restricted)
    F: Reggie Evans
    F: Julian Wright (Restricted)
    C: Alexis Ajinca

-- John Schuhmann
    Source: NBA.com

Likely Targets:

Brandon Knight
    Strengths:

* Intelligent
    * Good shooter
    * Got better as year progressed at running his team
    * Athletic

Weaknesses:

* Needs to get bigger and stronger
    * Needs to develop mid-range game
    * Continue to emphasize facilitating for teammates

NBA projection:
    Lottery pick. Just as former John Calipari point guards Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans and John Wall before him, Knight used his freshman season in college to continually evolve as a point guard. He’ll continue to get better and better in the NBA and add the dimension of consistent deep shooting that his predecessors didn’t have.
    Kawhi Leonard
    Strengths:

* Relentless rebounder
    * Huge hands
    * 7-foot-1 wingspan
    * Can put the ball on the floor
    * Can guard several positions
    * Big-time leaper

Weaknesses:

* What's his true position?
    * Jump shot is good enough to keep defenders honest, but could be more reliable

NBA projection:
    Leonard is a probable lottery pick whose best basketball is still ahead of him. Given his rapid acclimation to college basketball as a freshman in 2009-10 and the improvement he made from then to his sophomore season, Leonard has proven that he's willing to work hard to excel. The things you hear most about Leonard are he's got a motor that's stuck on high gear and he's a matchup nightmare because of his ability to score so many different ways. And his length and hands, combined with great athleticism, make him a formidable defender.
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Strengths:

* Tremendous size and length (7-6 wingspan)
    * Highly efficient shooter around the basket with jump hooks, & R/L layups, great touch
    * Very good FT shooter
    * Competes, has a good motor
    * Pursues rebounds
    * Good rim runner and very good pick/roll guy
    * Works hard on his game

Weaknesses:

* Still needs to add strength and some bulk
    * Needs some defensive improvement
    * Continued work on developing a low post game

NBA projection:
    Best young player in Europe, he's the inside version of what Ricky Rubio is on the perimeter. Lottery pick with great potential to be a good starting center in the NBA.
    Bismack Biyombo
    Strengths:

* Strong body for his age
    * Great physical condition (4.8 percent body fat)
    * Incredible wingspan and reach for his size (7-foot-7 wingspan and 9-foot-3 standing reach)
    * Explosive jumper, rebounder and shot-blocker
    * Strong offensive rebounder; aggressive to the ball
    * Tenacious defender
    * Runs the floor well, rim to rim
    * Vocal leader; very mature for his age

Weaknesses:

* Offensive game away from the basket
    * Limited range
    * Free-throw shooting

NBA projection:
    Hoop Summit performance makes him a likely lottery pick, despite questions about his age.
    Source: NBA.com

Great idea Apollo. Tweaked the title and stickied the thread too.

Comment

And don't forget, those who are looking for a social setting tonight for a "rip and a snort" in Toronto with fellow Raptors fans, we're hosting a draft party at St. Louis Bar & Grill.

Link: http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...onge-Wellesley

Comment

wait it starts at 6? i thought it started at 8. i guess groceries wait till next week.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Thanks Doc.

Hey Raps Fans,

Let's try and keep all trade related rumors to the other thread: 2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

This one is more about discussing the likely pick and then discussing the actual pick. If a trade is finalized today that changes the landscape of the draft for the Raptors then that is very relevant and by all means post it in here. Let's just avoid the gossip in this one.

Apollo

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            wait it starts at 6? i thought it started at 8. i guess groceries wait till next week.
            All the pre draft fluff starts at 6pm eastern time. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the actual draft itself starts at 7pm.

Comment

You are correct. The pre-draft show begins at 6PM on both TSN2 and NBA TV. I revised the first post so that no one is confused. Stein gets his game face on at 7, don't miss it.

Comment

Chad Ford just wrote that he is hearing it is a real possibility that the Raptors take Bismack Biyombo at the 5 spot, even if Knight is still on the board at that point. This is the first real speculation that we have heard that Biyombo may be at the top of the Raptors wish list.

http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/pos...on-knight-land
                http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

I wonder if Knight regrets hiding away from Kemba and Jimmer now? He's stands to lose some serious coin because of it.

Comment

The draft is so deep at PG and SF next year might as well swing for the fences this year
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If Jonas is there, take him. Boom you've got yourself a center. If not, Biyombo is hard to pass up.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        If Jonas is there, take him. Boom you've got yourself a center. If not, Biyombo is hard to pass up.
                        I agree. If there are quite a few teams (and successful ones at that too) that want to trade into the lotto at a shot to get Valancuinas, you gotta take the kid if he's there.

As much as I like Knight, I have a feeling that Biyombo is gonna be the pick. Just a gut instinct.

Comment

If a lock out is happening I like the idea of Jonas but if and hopefully there is a season my fingers are crossed for Knight.

Comment

Tough call tonight for Bry Co. If he had gotten a 5 year contract, I could see him taking Jonas V, but with him still being a year away, I think he's off the Raps board. That being said, if I was GM, I would take him, and let the team struggle again this year, thus ensuring another high pick next year, which would give us 2 talented rookies next year.
                            I also agree that if Knight is still on the board at 5, it's gonna be tough for Bryan to pass on him, but I just don't see PG being the position that fixes the Raps. Colangalo has a lot invested in Bargs' success, and has stated openly that moving Bargs to the 4 is the right move for his development.
                            Therefore, I think that the right move, to make the most impact to the starting lineup next year, is to draft Biyumbo, start him at the 5, Bargs at the 4, and mixing Davis and Johnson (& Alibi?) in at both spots in a back-up role.
                            Biyumbo at #5 may be a reach, and I could very well be dead wrong on this, but I think he'll be the pick tonight.

Comment

duncan wrote: View Post
                              Colangalo has a lot invested in Bargs' success, and has stated openly that moving Bargs to the 4 is the right move for his development.

Therefore, I think that the right move, to make the most impact to the starting lineup next year, is to draft Biyumbo, start him at the 5, Bargs at the 4, and mixing Davis and Johnson (& Alibi?) in at both spots in a back-up role.
                              Biyumbo at #5 may be a reach, and I could very well be dead wrong on this, but I think he'll be the pick tonight.
                              Any pick made with the idea in mind of making life easier/better for Bargnani is the wrong pick. I have no idea who the Raps should take but I do know that the pick should be made without any consideration for how the player fits with Bargnani. That is a recipe for disaster.

I just can't handle much more of this nonsense of 'moving Bargs to the 4'. He already is guarded by 4s and even 3s at times. He already guards the worst offensive big on the opponent game in and game out. Call him a 5, 4, 1, 3, 2, 75 or 1,963 if you want. Nothing is going to change with the guy no matter what notional position you label him at.

Comment

Working...
                              X