Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: The Official "Welcome to Toronto, Jonas Valanciunas!" thread

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I don't understand your argument. I can understand wondering whether Valanciunass will be able to rebound and defend at the same level as he does in Europe, but to wonder whether he's like Bargnani on defense and the boards doesn't make sense. You just have to watch him for a minute to realize he's nothing like Bargnani, in this respect. He has an interest in rebounding and defense, which Bargnani never has. Bargnani's lack of defense and rebounding were an issue when he was drafted, so it's not like they came out afterwards.

And one never knows if a player's skills will be able to translate to the NBA. Will Biyombo's? Or Knight's? Who knows. The things that work in Valanciunas' favour are that he has shown a lot of improvement over the last few years, he's a VERY hard worker, he's mobile, he hustles and he isn't afraid to do the dirty work. There's ALWAYS a place in the league for guys like that. Especially if they're 7 feet.
    And to Matt52 aswell:

Maybe my statement needss to be read again or rephrased "(and when I say 'like' its relative because I don't think I've ever seen a starting C that was so disinterested in playing D or rebounding in my life)" Maybe the choice of words is poor... but when I say "like Bargnani" I mean poorly. Not "like Bargnani" because he will stand there like a rock picking his ass.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    And to Matt52 aswell:

Maybe my statement needss to be read again or rephrased "(and when I say 'like' its relative because I don't think I've ever seen a starting C that was so disinterested in playing D or rebounding in my life)" Maybe the choice of words is poor... but when I say "like Bargnani" I mean poorly. Not "like Bargnani" because he will stand there like a rock picking his ass.
    But why question whether he can rebound anymore tnan any other big man? There is literally no indication at all he will be even a below average rebounder in the NBA. He's active, tall, and has put up VERY good numbers in Europe. I just don't understand why you'd question it. Do you wonder the same thing about Biyombo? Or Tristan THompson?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    But why question whether he can rebound anymore tnan any other big man? There is literally no indication at all he will be even a below average rebounder in the NBA. He's active, tall, and has put up VERY good numbers in Europe. I just don't understand why you'd question it. Do you wonder the same thing about Biyombo? Or Tristan THompson?
    Why? He's thin, not very athletic and looks very uncoordinated at times. I want this kid to be good to. I want him to contribute. I know he's young so he'll put on some size, but enough? I hope so. But he's the kind of guy that if he can't develop his body significantly in the next few years is going to be eaten alive out there. He's definetely looks active, he definetely sounds hard working, and I know any NBA organization would help him work on his muslce mass... but if he is gonna play close to the bucket he's got a long way to go.

To be honest when i see him play... i see a short Shaun Bradley running around. And that definetely keeps my excitment level with him in check

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I found this jonas to be out of position alot on defense and not very good post defender but he rolls to the basket hard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    Why? He's thin, not very athletic and looks very uncoordinated at times. I want this kid to be good to. I want him to contribute. I know he's young so he'll put on some size, but enough? I hope so. But he's the kind of guy that if he can't develop his body significantly in the next few years is going to be eaten alive out there. He's definetely looks active, he definetely sounds hard working, and I know any NBA organization would help him work on his muslce mass... but if he is gonna play close to the bucket he's got a long way to go.

To be honest when i see him play... i see a short Shaun Bradley running around. And that definetely keeps my excitment level with him in check
    You completely lost me at unathletic and not very coordinated. I really have no idea where you got that because those are two of his biggest pluses. He's quite athletic and coordinated for a guy his size. And, actually, that was one of the attractions to Shawn Bradley. The biggest difference between Bradley and Valanciunas is that Bradley was not simply not very dedicated (case in point, his taking two years off to do the mormon thing). Bradley had the physical skills to be a Hall of Fame player, but just didn't have the mental part of the game. Valanciunas is apparently VERY dedicated and a intense competitor who loves the game. Unlike Bradley, he's not playing it because he's tall.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post

I found this jonas to be out of position alot on defense and not very good post defender but he rolls to the basket hard
    He's 19. You go look at most big men, even in the NCAA and you'll see the same thing. He's got good instincts, though. They just need to be honed.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I have to learn how to spell this guys last name.

How do you pronounce it?

Actually let's come up with a solid nickname I don't have time to spell all that I'm a busy guy.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Big Val
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Val Venis
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

The Panty Dropper
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

For anyone who's interested, Valanciunas plays his first post-draft game tomorrow, in the Global Games youth tournament - Lithuania U19 vs. USA U19. Apparently 12 noon EDT, and if it's like previous games in the tournament, there will be streaming options available. Don't know much about it but it sounds like sort of a warmup tournament for the U19 Championship that starts next week.

Matchup with USA center Patric Young will be interesting. Young is a Florida Gators player, a possible lottery player in 2012 draft, but actually older than Valanciunas, with a very strong body and good defensive presence. Great chance to see how Valanciunas matches up against an NCAA peer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    For anyone who's interested, Valanciunas plays his first post-draft game tomorrow, in the Global Games youth tournament - Lithuania U19 vs. USA U19. Apparently 12 noon EDT, and if it's like previous games in the tournament, there will be streaming options available. Don't know much about it but it sounds like sort of a warmup tournament for the U19 Championship that starts next week.

Matchup with USA center Patric Young will be interesting. Young is a Florida Gators player, a possible lottery player in 2012 draft, but actually older than Valanciunas, with a very strong body and good defensive presence. Great chance to see how Valanciunas matches up against an NCAA peer.
    Thank you for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah great tidbit. I hope one of our non mouth breathers watches it and can give us a breakdown on it.

I also hope tomorrow is slow and I can watch it myself.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie Captain Haddock's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He denied Pape Sow! Not even Pape Sow can do that!
    "Come back, Lisa, you little love killer...Come back Lisa, Lisa Lisamiller."
    -Newsradio

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread Information