I'll start by first admitting that other than highlight reels I have never seen JV play. That being said all the highlight reels reveal is he is long, has good hands and finishes well against euro trash when he slips on the P&R. haven't seen a hint of a post game. Nothing. Maybe it's due to his frame? But being from Fundamental obsessed Europe I'm amazed he doesn't have even a mini hook, no turnaround, nothing with his back to the basket etc. Like a young Bosh without the range but with better length. His FT shooting is great so at least he can be relied on there.
I'm down on Euros it's true. Euro League is nice but it's not the NCAA and these guys take longer to develop as a general rule and even with all the skills and experience some of the best don't translate to the NBA. Add to that that JVs game/body is not NBA ready at all and I'm mystified. MAybe he comes next year, maybe the year after that, maybe he stays in Europe 2 years, who knows? Young, skinny bigs are a risk, young, skinny euro bigs are a bigger risk. I'm not hating, it's just a fact.
With this draft being what it is I'm not entirely devestated by this pick (he looks better than Hoffa, Esposito etc) but I was really hoping for Knight when he dropped or even Kawhi who's length and ability to D up on the wing are so very needed on this squad. I really hope I'm wrong about Vala but right now I'm very disappointed in BCo.
I can understand those who would have preferred Knight, but he is going to take at least a couple of years to have any substantial impact on the team. I think the Raptors will have other options to upgrade at PG, either by trade or through the draft in the next couple of years. I still can't understand how people think someone like Leonard would have been better than JV as a pick. He has freakishly long arms and rebounds, but JV is much taller and rebounds at a high rate in a much tougher league. Besides, Leonard got traded for George Hill. Would you have traded #5 for George Hill? Think about it.
"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."
*edit: I know Bogut is an Aussie and Australia is no where near Europe.
Last edited by minks77; Fri Jun 24th, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
The ignorance of some Raptor fans is astounding.
Ryen Russillio is reporting that Vala's team is owned by Lithuanian Mobsters who will look to squeeze every last penny they can get out of MLSE before they let this kid go. Don't expect a simple buy out. They have Vala under contract for 3 more years I believe.
1) Biedrins may be overrated, but he's still a good rebounder and good positional defender (mind you, I've mostly got this from seeing him in the playoffs and in previous seasons games, I didn't watch much GS last season).
2) Tyson Chandler was considered a bust because of injuries and because people kept waiting for him to develop post moves which he was never comfortable with. If Val becomes one of the best post defenders in the NBA while being a limited offensive player, I think I'd be fairly comfortable with that for the 5th pick of a weak draft.
3) According to reports, he's a good finisher already and has a decent jumper out to a few feet. The weaknesses of his I've seen have involved his weight (correctable) and post moves (teachable). No criticism of his position, his motivation, his hands, his instincts, his attitude, etc.
4) We're a 22 win team, getting us Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker may have made us a 25 win team. Whoop de freakin doo. Knight is being compared to Billups, but he's also been compared to Bayless who I'd rather see develop anyway. I like Knight and Walker and think they both could become solid pros, but I'm not convinced they're the future. Hell there are some who opine that Irving may or may not be a stud, just a solid pro.
5) San Antonio wanted him badly, even willing to trade their all star, finals mvp, french rap god point guard for him. The Rockets were quite keen on him. These are teams whose opinions I trust.
6) We get a good draft pick next year, in what is being called the strongest draft since 03.
7) His last name is spectacular for Scrabble.
"Come back, Lisa, you little love killer...Come back Lisa, Lisa Lisamiller."
Dirk isn't that type of big man, neither is Okur. I can name tons of European bigs that can shoot, but none can band down low.
Yao I'll give you, but Sabonis, Divac and Illgauskus came into the league 20 years ago.
The delusion of some Raptor fans is astounding.
Casey isn't the most well spoken person to put in front of a mic but what he says is insightful and is no b.s.
Lietuvos Rytas owner, Vladimir Romanov
"Romanov's financial legitimacy was thoroughly checked before the likes of Robinson and his rival Leslie Deans sold out to the new regime."
"But, like his friend and fellow Russian Roman Abramovich at Chelsea, you don't survive the mafia and corruption-filled Eastern European markets without developing a mean business streak."
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)