The Official "Welcome to Toronto, Jonas Valanciunas!" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter N wrote: View Post
    I'm gonna boo him in his first game here.

I wonder where Colangelo will be working at that point.
    Wow dude. Ignorant, there is no reason to be such a way. Try a coke and a smile...

Comment

For those who want some further analysis of Valanciunas, look here: http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...board-centers/

In this analysis he is ranked as the top center prospect, ahead of Kanter. Here are some excerpts:

You ask college scouts, GMs and other NBA types about Jonas Valanciunas, and you hear the same sentence, over and over. He plays hard. And that is what excites so many about the now 19-year-old Lithuanian.
      "Whoever gets him, they're going to have a player," gushes a Pacific Division executive. "First of all, he has a motor. He plays hard and he has a huge (7-foot-6) wingspan. The only thing right now is he's light in the (behind). But he's got great hands. He's not a stiff; he's got a touch. He runs. Whether he can contain the post right now, I don't know; he's so light. But he's got a lot of (stuff) going for him."
      Said a Pacific scout: "I really love the kid. He's not the greatest athlete in the world, but neither is Marc Gasol. He is really skilled. His upside is off the charts. And he's Lithuanian, so he really likes to play. He is so talented, and the first to practice and the last to leave every day. He's probably not as ready to play as Kanter because Kanter is physically more mature, but Kanter has a ceiling."

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
        I'm gonna boo him in his first game here.

I wonder where Colangelo will be working at that point.

Boooooooooooo U

Comment

jk1m wrote: View Post
          Correct me if I'm mistaken but doesn't Jonas have similar attributes and physical measurements to Joakim Noah with a softer touch and a better free throw percentage?...
          Yah seriously 90% for a big man!

Comment

Okay, okay.... so what about nicknames?! 'V for Vendetta'? 'Sweet Valley High'?

Comment

Rapzilla wrote: View Post
              Okay, okay.... so what about nicknames?! 'V for Vendetta'? 'Sweet Valley High'?
              Oh, that's easy. Jonas "The Caretaker" Valanciunas. He'll wipe the glass and clean-up the mess that Bargnani often leaves on defence.

PS> Perhaps by the time he gets in this league, the big pasta would be elsewhere. Can you imagine him and Easy E? I wouldn't want to venture in that paint!!!
              Last edited by Balls of Steel; Fri Jun 24, 2011, 09:20 AM.
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

i know NOTHING about jonas............. and yet i'm extremely excited about the raps drafting him.

assuming the raps don't move bargs... it's nice to know they got a "you better shape up, because we have the rights to your replacement" clause on his season.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                  Fair enough.

And at this point, even though I've never been a Bargnani-Hater, I would much rather see the franchise move forward with Davis and Valanciunas.
                  If they are able to negotiate a buyout for JV, which i think is as possible as them getting Kobe Bryant in a trade, then it might be fun to watch a Bargnani-Valaciunas tandem next season.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                    i know NOTHING about jonas............. and yet i'm extremely excited about the raps drafting him.

assuming the raps don't move bargs... it's nice to know they got a "you better shape up, because we have the rights to your replacement" clause on his season.
                    Good point.

Unfortunately if he is not traded and he doesn't shape up, he will be our Beasley (i.e. #2 2008 for 2011 second round draft pick)

Comment

Nickname thought- Chewbacca (apparently, the ciu is pronounced chew, that and he's tall and will hopefully rip your arms out if he loses)
                      "Come back, Lisa, you little love killer...Come back Lisa, Lisa Lisamiller."
                      -Newsradio

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Good point.

Unfortunately if he is not traded and he doesn't shape up, he will be our Beasley (i.e. #2 2008 for 2011 second round draft pick)
                        i know nothing about contracts, and salaries, and whatnot.... but im totally fine with the highest paid player on the team coming off the bench. those millions aren't coming out of my pocket.. or if they are, its $1 here and there on tickets and concessions... so F$%# it. let bargs be our jamal crawford.

Comment

am i the only one who thinks Jonas looks like Jason Biggs from American Pie?

Comment

I have said everything I want to say about Jonas on the Front Page (Posting as "JW").

The one thing I want to get across is that even if JV does not work out from the start, guys of his size/skill/wingspan are very valuable assets in this league.

Do you guys know what happens to guards that don't work out? They get waived. The league is awash with guards that just could not make it to the next level. There is not as much patience shown to them that big men receive. Kwame was still traded for Gasol, Darko still commended a lot of interest even though he was a known headcase and a bust.

I think this is a HIGH Value pick. If he does not mesh defensively with our team, his size/skill/iq is more than enough to get a team or two drooling. You can't teach size. Due to his size and youth, this guy will have a serious window of VALUE for the next 5 years, mark my words.
                            Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Fri Jun 24, 2011, 09:48 AM.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                              i know nothing about contracts, and salaries, and whatnot.... but im totally fine with the highest paid player on the team coming off the bench. those millions aren't coming out of my pocket.. or if they are, its $1 here and there on tickets and concessions... so F$%# it. let bargs be our jamal crawford.
                              Fair enough but I'd like another asset or two besides cap space (which is used for more than free agents).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                Fair enough but I'd like another asset or two besides cap space (which is used for more than free agents).
                                Ya... there's always stuff we'd like... i'd like the ACC to serve Kronenbourg 1664 instead of that swill they pass of as draught beer..

but the post-season is far from done. your dream still has a chance... mine doesnt

Comment

Working...
                                X