So Bayless is the future PG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Bayless is the future PG?

With the Raps passing on Brandon Knight one must think BC sees Bayless as ready to take the reigns next year. (or Jonas was too good to pass up at 5)

Do you think Bayless is the opening day starter and possible long term fix at PG for the Raps or just temporary filling the role?

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    With the Raps passing on Brandon Knight one must think BC sees Bayless as ready to take the reigns next year. (or Jonas was too good to pass up at 5)

Do you think Bayless is the opening day starter and possible long term fix at PG for the Raps or just temporary filling the role?
    I have a feeling BC isnt done yet. As long as Jose is still a Raptor, no way Bayless is going to start. Not drafting Knight or Walker shows BC is confident he can still trade Jose.

Comment

I won't jump to conclusions until the offseason really starts. Still a lot can happen over the summer. Regardless, I think Bayless could handle the reigns, but at the end of the day I don't see him as the future for our PG spot. At best I see him as a poor man's Barbosa. He'd be just a bandaid incase Jose is moved this summer.

Comment

I think not picking Knight or Walker shows he thinks Bayless is the real deal. Only my thoughts, no proof or source.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I think not picking Knight or Walker shows he thinks Bayless is the real deal. Only my thoughts, no proof or source.
          Or he thought getting a good center prospect is more important than a PG prospect at this time, since a center is harder to find and we needed one. I still suspect BC to make some moves and Bayless could be on the block.

Comment

I think it more likely shows he didn't think Knight or Walker was the real deal. Or maybe just not worth a 5th pick. I agree with Doc Naismith though in that Bayless could handle the reigns, but solid might be his best case especially for now. Given Casey taking the coaching job too, I'm not sure that actually improves Bayless' starting odds. If Barbosa leaves, Casey may see Bayless as the ideal sparkplug. On top of that, he may like having Calderon on the floor as the veteran with a group of young starters. It's rare to see an team of young starters, especially when none have even made an all-star game.

Frankly, I think Bayless should be our primary backup at both guard spots and that might be the best way to maximize his value to the team. He'll get the minutes he wants. We'll probably finish with him in the game whenever Casey wants offense or to go small. And it'll let him get shots without taking them from Bargs and Demar.

Comment

i think he'll start next season. I'm one of the very few people who are high on bayless, i think he can be a good starter and IMO better that jose. He can score and he is starting to learn how to run an offense. I have high hopes for him

Comment

In bayless we trust!

Comment

I think there are a couple of ways Colangelo could go:

1. Keep team as is and see how they play under new coach, while waiting for the next draft.
                  2. Trade Calderon for an unknown piece and see if Bayless can run a team for an entire season.

Of course there are other options, those are just the two that come to mind right now. I do, however, have a feeling that Colangelo isn't done just yet.
                  Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

Next year there will be lots of guards available in the draft and therefore also possible trade opportunities. This is not true of centres. Bayless was quite decent at the end of last year. I expect they'll give him a bit of a run and see if he sinks or swims with the extra playing time. But there probably already is a plan B if the result does not impress.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                      I have a feeling BC isnt done yet. As long as Jose is still a Raptor, no way Bayless is going to start. Not drafting Knight or Walker shows BC is confident he can still trade Jose.
                      I don't follow that logic. I think they like bayless as a top 8 guy splitting time @ 1 or 2
                      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

If the Raps consider next season to be a write-off anyway (ie: lockout possibility, JV likely in Europe, desire to get another lottery pick to draft a stud SF), then I totally understand their willingness to go with Calderon/Bayless for one more year. It will give them a chance to evaluate Bayless' long-term potential, given that he now has experience/chemistry with his Raps teammates.

As for the draft, I think Knight/Walker were both overrated and therefore came with a lot of risk @ #5. However, I think JV was drafted because he was good, not because the Raps were happy with Calderon and/or Bayless running the point. It was a pro-JV pick, not an anti-PG pick.

Comment

give him a year to prove himself
                          ya dun noe

Comment

I remember BC at the end of the season praising Bayless' play to close the year showing he could be a starter. He will give him a shot. I for one liked his game when he was in Portland, and very happy when we picked him up, so put me down on the supporter side of seeing what he can do starting for an extended period. He is still young (barely older than Kemba if I am correct), and there is a shot there, but he needs to tone his ego a bit.

I would like to have seen Kemba in a Raptor's uni, although no way I would have passed over JV. No way. Brandon Knight: I certainly liked the idea of him coming in here, but after seeing his attitude going up to the podium I was utterly disappointed that I liked him, and VERY happy we passed on him (again with JV still available there was no choice but to pick the big man). Knight's behavious was nowhere near as prima donna as Steve Francis, but I got the same feeling from his walk, expression and interview. Good luck kid, you're going to a group of malcontents to mix in well!

Comment

yeah knight looked so pissed when detroit took him. poor kid.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                              X