Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Review From The Media

Post Thanks / Like

Default Draft Review From The Media

If the goal was to get a jump on the Bobcats in the race for the No. 1 pick next season, the Raptors did wonderfully.

Grade F
    Source: cbssports.com

Bryan Colangelo loves to go international in the draft, so it should surprise nobody that Valanciunas is heading to Toronto – just maybe not right away, given his contract issues and the impending lockout. Valanciunas' complicated buyout situation will likely delay his debut, but when he does suit up for Toronto, he'll give the Raptors some much-needed size and rebounding. New coach Dwane Casey preaches defense, and Valanciunas shows the instincts and aptitude to develop into a solid starting center. He needs to get stronger and refine his post skills, but he fills a serious need for Toronto.
    Source: Foxsports.com

President and GM Bryan Colangelo nails the half-court shot here, as Valanciunas became the apple of almost every lottery team's eye in recent days. He might not be available to join the Raptors next season, but he can man the middle for Toronto for a decade to come thereafter. He's a skilled and efficient scorer who can still fill out his 19-year-old frame.
    Source: SI.com

Does Jonas Valanciunas project to be the best all around C in this draft and if not for his buyout would he have gone higher?

If teams knew he was fully available, he would’ve been the No. 1 pick.
    ESPN's Ric Bucher

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet Zombie Based God, that CBC Sports link is an atrocious article.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WhatWhat wrote: View Post
    That article is ****ing amazing. Greatest laugh I've had today.

No. 7: Bobcats select: Bismack Biyombo, PF, Baloncesto Fuenlabrada Grade
    Analysis: Yes, it's true: A team that couldn't reach 100 points on its hottest night last season dealt its top scorer for a shot-blocking rookie big man. Boring.
    Grade: F

So true. :P

Post Thanks / Like

Pfffttt..CBC. I bet if CBC was informed that the Raptors drafted Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, they'd be able to relate better and would have given the pick an A+ grade.

Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WhatWhat wrote: View Post
    Funny!

I couldn't believe that CBS gave Detroit and Charlotte a "B" for drafting Knight and Walker 8th and 9th! I can't believe how far these guys fell, especially Knight, who could have easily gone 3rd.

They were right on the money with the Spurs' grade of "A" though, drafting local boy Cory Joseph and sending George Hill to the Pacers to get Kawhi. How the hell did Kawhi drop so far (15th)?

I haven't read much from the press about the Raps pick, but I think Toronto fans are forming a lynch mob. I never heard so much hate directed at BC before. I think it safe to assume that fans hate this pick. I like the pick though. Jonas will be solid.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Pfffttt..CBC. I bet if CBC was informed that the Raptors drafted Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, they'd be able to relate better and would have given the pick an A+ grade.
    It was a CBS article not CBC.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorDan wrote: View Post
    It was a CBS article not CBC.
    My bad. I didnt bother to even click on the link. I thought that Apollo's link said CBCsports. My apologies.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope that guy didn't get paid to write that draft review, and I'm not saying this because he gave us an F. It really was atrocious.

I stopped reading the Fox Sports' review when I saw, "Bryan Colangelo loves to go international in the draft." Bargnani and a stash away pick that pretty much has to be International = "loves to go international IN THE DRAFT"? People get paid to write this crap?
    Last edited by Quixotic; Fri Jun 24th, 2011 at 03:42 AM.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Report Card

TORONTO: Exceeds Expectations

5. Jonas Valanciunas

It’s deja vu all over again. Last year, a team above them unexpectedly took an athletic defensive power forward which resulted in a higher ranked big man unexpectedly falling to the Raptors. Colangelo and the Raptors brass probably can’t believe their luck. I was afraid they might still take Knight, but Colangelo showed he is indeed focused on the future, rather than the present.

Valanciunas will fill the void at center the Raptors have been lacking for, well, ever. While apparently a lot of Raptor fans are unhappy with the pick, I think they’ll eventually regret that as Valanciunas is the type of player that Raptor fans love. He’s a high energy player who hustles, defends and rebounds. English, though, is not his strong suit.

On the other hand, the pick they got from the Heat, which they traded to the Bulls for James Johnson, could have been used to pick Corey Joseph at 28, who went one spot later to the Spurs. Who knows if that’s who Colangelo would have picked, as he was projected to go in the second round, but I’ll certainly be comparing their careers. And since the Spurs are pretty much never wrong…

I would have liked to see them try and scoop up another pick, but it’s not a big deal that they didn’t.
    http://www.wearingfilm.com/picketfen...t-report-card/
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    My bad. I didnt bother to even click on the link. I thought that Apollo's link said CBCsports. My apologies.
    It did. Typo guys.

Post Thanks / Like

F? The Raptors picked the best center in the draft, and when you consider that there is high chance of a lockout next year why not let him play regular basketball in Europe instead of playing in the gym against Bargnani and Ajinca.

Raptors Republic Starter TheR3dMenace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    I stopped reading the Fox Sports' review when I saw, "Bryan Colangelo loves to go international in the draft." Bargnani and a stash away pick that pretty much has to be International = "loves to go international IN THE DRAFT"? People get paid to write this crap?
    This shit angers me to no end.... especially because it is a commonly held belief in raptorland too, where hockey culture and Don Cherry-esque xenophobia still rears its ugly head. Say what you want about his team-building skills, but BC certainly has an eye for talent and an almost flawless draft history:

Michael Finley
    Steve Nash
    Stephen Jackson
    Shawn Marion
    Amare Stoudemire
    Luol Deng
    Nate Robinson
    Marcin Gortat
    Andrea Bargnani
    Roy Hibbert
    DeMar DeRozan
    Ed Davis
    Last edited by TheR3dMenace; Fri Jun 24th, 2011 at 06:09 AM.

Raptors Republic Rookie meductic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Relax on cbs. The dude gives Kanter, Biyombo and Jonas a F ... and Vesely a B. Imagine if BC took Vesely. Call out the army.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheR3dMenace wrote: View Post
    This shit angers me to no end.... especially because it is a commonly held belief in raptorland too, where hockey culture and Don Cherry-esque xenophobia still rears its ugly head.
    Thats quite the generalization is it not, amazingly not only towards basketball fans but hockey fans as well. Its battling a prejudice with one of your own.

I have nothing against this pick and it may very well have been the best available at the time. But I completely understand were the anger comes from with fans. This team has been terrible (to differing degrees) for a number of years now and needs significant change and specifically culture change. The selection of Jonas does nothing to effect that.

1) he is not known for being a top notch defender
    2) he is unlikely to be here next year
    3) doesn't have the size as of yet (and maybe ever) to bang with other big
    4) continues with BC's "Euro" philosophy

thats a pretty distinctive continuation of the existing philosophy and cultre is it not? Don't blame Don Cherry or hockey fans for BC's failures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheR3dMenace wrote: View Post
    This shit angers me to no end.... especially because it is a commonly held belief in raptorland too, where hockey culture and Don Cherry-esque xenophobia still rears its ugly head.
    I feel you, man. In this particular case, I'm mostly surprised by how lazy some of these writers are. They hear something somewhere, see Bargnani in Toronto, treat it as fact, then fans read the drivel, see Bargnani in Toronto, and treat it as fact. I have yet to hear anyone say "R.C. Buford loves to go international in the draft, so it should surprise nobody that Udrih/Karaulov/Mahinmi/Splitter/de Colo/Richards is heading to San Antonio," and that's not including international players who were picked by the Spurs and traded (Barbosa, Markota, Printezis and Dragic), or those who played NCAA ball (Sato). Heck, from an American standpoint, you could even include Joseph as an international (after all, he isn't American). Eight drafts and how many international players did Buford draft?

BTW, I take back what I said about FoxSports. The draft review was actually written by someone at NBADraft.net.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    The selection of Jonas does nothing to effect that.

1) he is not known for being a top notch defender
    2) he is unlikely to be here next year
    3) doesn't have the size as of yet (and maybe ever) to bang with other big
    4) continues with BC's "Euro" philosophy

thats a pretty distinctive continuation of the existing philosophy and cultre is it not? Don't blame Don Cherry or hockey fans for BC's failures.
    1. He may not be as hyped up as Biyombo on defense, but he is said to be a very good help defender, and just needs to add strength so he can play solid post defense as well.

3. This and his propensity to foul are my main concerns. While it's great that he has a good frame for adding weight, we constantly see players not getting to where they need to be physically.

4. This contradicts #1 quite a bit. There were only two players "known for being a top notch defender"; one was Singleton and the other Biyombo. So no top notch defender or no Euro, which is it? Not to mention, this idea that BC has a "Euro" philosophy is exactly what TheR3dMenace and I take issue with.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JoePanini wrote: View Post
    F? The Raptors picked the best center in the draft, and when you consider that there is high chance of a lockout next year why not let him play regular basketball in Europe instead of playing in the gym against Bargnani and Ajinca.
    You know, I don't understand some fans. The owners and players are billions apart (the NFL don't have an agreement yet either - and they're a RICHER LEAGUE!!!). Jonas is a solid pick (just as solid if not more solid than Ed and Demar). A legit 7-footer who's only 19 and won't float in the perimeter. Shocking how short-sighted people are. Kemba cannot be better than Bayless and Knight is all potential. He's the best player at the fifth spot of this year's draft. Period.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny but there was a significant contingent of people on here salivating over JV for MONTHS and now there are scathing reactions when the raptors actually pick him. Crazy.

To further refer to the Spurs, they were frantically trying to trade up in this draft (including Wight the raptors if you recall from just yesterday) to get this guy. Good pick. Personally I wanted the team to get another pick and do exactly what Charlotte did getting Kemba and Biyombo, but optimistic with JV.

Post Thanks / Like

And hey, they weren't the Lakers drafting two complete unknowns (who they could have simply brought into camp and tested) while players like Hansbrough and Lighty were still there. It was funny to watch the panel stare blankly at the cameras toss some papers aside in frustration and ask "really? Come on guys."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    It's funny but there was a significant contingent of people on here salivating over JV for MONTHS and now there are scathing reactions when the raptors actually pick him. Crazy.

To further refer to the Spurs, they were frantically trying to trade up in this draft (including Wight the raptors if you recall from just yesterday) to get this guy. Good pick. Personally I wanted the team to get another pick and do exactly what Charlotte did getting Kemba and Biyombo, but optimistic with JV.
    You're right, what happened to those guys? I remember a pretty big back-and-forth between Kanter and Valanciunas. People were hating on Kanter more than on Valanciunas. The outburst was kind of surprising; they must not be forum readers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information