Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Review From The Media

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    thats a pretty distinctive continuation of the existing philosophy and cultre is it not? Don't blame Don
    Cherry or hockey fans for BC's failures.
    Not to mention that the majority of those picks he listed were taken by Jerry Colangelo.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    To further refer to the Spurs, they were frantically trying to trade up in this draft (including Wight the raptors if you recall from just yesterday) to get this guy. Good pick. Personally I wanted the team to get another pick and do exactly what Charlotte did getting Kemba and Biyombo, but optimistic with JV.
    The difference is the Spurs can afford to take on players that don't come here right away because in the meantime they're still contending for a championship.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    1. He may not be as hyped up as Biyombo on defense, but he is said to be a very good help defender, and just needs to add strength so he can play solid post defense as well.

3. This and his propensity to foul are my main concerns. While it's great that he has a good frame for adding weight, we constantly see players not getting to where they need to be physically.

4. This contradicts #1 quite a bit. There were only two players "known for being a top notch defender"; one was Singleton and the other Biyombo. So no top notch defender or no Euro, which is it? Not to mention, this idea that BC has a "Euro" philosophy is exactly what TheR3dMenace and I take issue with.
    I have no idea how #1 and #4 contradict each other as they are seperate thoughts. They are mutually exclusive. If I said top notch defenders can't be "Euro" than I could see it. Its irrelevant that Biyombo is considered the top defender and is "Euro"/international, as Biyombo is not JV.

"that BC has a "Euro" philosophy is exactly what TheR3dMenace and I take issue with"

and yet he (BC) does and has stated as such. This isn't so much about JV being European... that independantly would be irrelevant. But, it continues along the same philosophical lines BC has been using of taking European players. I guarantee that if JV turns out to be a hard working player and useful player who can compete at the NBA level, no one will have an issue with him. But right now he doesn't do anything to create that culture shift fans have been expecting.

Its like having a kid who keeps getting bit by the family dogs... and for Christmas Dad buys his kid a new dog. It may be great gift and yet it could be the dumbest gift of all time. Most likely it was time to get a cat.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Not to mention that the majority of those picks he listed were taken by Jerry Colangelo.
    I didn't really want to mention that, or that a few others were drafted on behalf of others

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    You're right, what happened to those guys? I remember a pretty big back-and-forth between Kanter and Valanciunas. People were hating on Kanter more than on Valanciunas. The outburst was kind of surprising; they must not be forum readers.
    There was also a significant contingent that was against JV. I'd wager the ones who didn't want BC to draft JV are the ones that pissed and the ones who wanted him to draft JV are happy.

Raptors Republic Starter bloodyhandedgod's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Its like having a kid who keeps getting bit by the family dogs... and for Christmas Dad buys his kid a new dog. It may be great gift and yet it could be the dumbest gift of all time. Most likely it was time to get a cat.
    I lol`d when I got to `cat.`

I think it`s really simple. We`ve been staring at a big dumb Euro (no hate) for 5 years. A lot of peoples simple gut reaction is `I do not want another one of those.`N6t a well thought out plan for the future. And they`ll get over it. A few trades would help.

And that `F` rating was hysterical.
    Last edited by bloodyhandedgod; Fri Jun 24th, 2011 at 09:27 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The difference is the Spurs can afford to take on players that don't come here right away because in the meantime they're still contending for a championship.
    Not as though the Raps will be contending next year with any of the other picks.

Raptors Republic Starter TheR3dMenace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BC was GM of the Suns from 1995-2006

No need to make up lies just because you disagree with someone's point.
    Last edited by TheR3dMenace; Fri Jun 24th, 2011 at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i find it hilarious that BC is getting pooped on for taking the best center in the draft, but cleveland is getting praised by virtually everyone (that i've read) for taking tristan thompson. now, im a fan and wish him all the best but what do they need a pf for? are they trading hickson? they could've taken kawhi and had a respectable starting 5. i get taking the best talent available when you're a bad team buuuuut...
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm excited about JV. I just wish we coulda' grabbed Kemba too! Maybe we'll kick ass in the trade market!

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    If the goal was to get a jump on the Bobcats in the race for the No. 1 pick next season, the Raptors did wonderfully.

Grade F

well said - Chemistry be damned!?!?

Last edited by charlz; Fri Jun 24th, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    i find it hilarious that BC is getting pooped on for taking the best center in the draft, but cleveland is getting praised by virtually everyone (that i've read) for taking tristan thompson. now, im a fan and wish him all the best but what do they need a pf for? are they trading hickson? they could've taken kawhi and had a respectable starting 5. i get taking the best talent available when you're a bad team buuuuut...
    Ya, I like Thompson, but 4th?? I think they'll regret not taking Valanciunas.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    well said - Chemistry be damned!?!?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict you will be completely and utterly wrong about this pick.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Rookie Captain Haddock's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict you will be completely and utterly wrong about this pick.
    Bold move, sir. You are more like Colangelo than you think.
    "Come back, Lisa, you little love killer...Come back Lisa, Lisa Lisamiller."
    -Newsradio

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheR3dMenace wrote: View Post
    BC was GM of the Suns from 1995-2006

No need to make up lies just because you disagree with someone's point.
    Nice one!

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
    I lol`d when I got to `cat.`

I think it`s really simple. We`ve been staring at a big dumb Euro (no hate) for 5 years. A lot of peoples simple gut reaction is `I do not want another one of those.`N6t a well thought out plan for the future. And they`ll get over it. A few trades would help.

And that `F` rating was hysterical.
    The f rating is cause we didnt do anything for this year

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I guarantee that if JV turns out to be a hard working player and useful player who can compete at the NBA level, no one will have an issue with him. But right now he doesn't do anything to create that culture shift fans have been expecting.
    How so? Our culture shift is to become a better defending and rebounding team. JV definitely brings the rebounding, and his length/athleticism is an indicator that he will probably bring the defense too. The fact that his offense is limited to within 10 ft of the basket means he is not a Bargnani at all. If we had drafted Kanter (had he fallen), you may have had a point.

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    yes I am likely wrong because after all Brians '... phone has been blowing up with all the other GM's in the league telling [him] how wonderful the pick is...'
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Post Thanks / Like

Gregg Popovich was offering up Tony Parker and other pieces in an attempt to move up to draft Jonas Valanciunas. It's been reported that they were looking to draft him to become a successor to Tim Duncan. That's high praise from a franchise who seems to always draft studs no matter where they are.

Raptors Republic Starter bloodyhandedgod's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    The f rating is cause we didnt do anything for this year
    Since when does someone rate a Draft based on how it will help right now? And that is still not right. We now have a player who has a high upside that we would have to trade away to lose. We're a better team right now for it.
    “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Thread Information