Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Draft Reaction

How are you feeling post draft?

Me, I'm happy with the selection - very happy. A C who rebounds, has a soft touch, and doesn't quit - excellent. Might not be here for a year, will not provide immediate help - the price to pay to build a long term winner.

But I'm feeling a little empty. I was hoping one of or both Calderon or Bargnani to finally be traded and it did not happen.

Take the poll and share your thoughts.

*If your only argument is based on Euro-hate, don't bother, I'll delete the comment*
    Happy with everything.
    44.07%
    Happy with selection but wanted a player(s) gone
    40.68%
    Unhappy with everything.
    10.17%
    Unhappy with selection but glad all players remain.
    5.08%

Damn Europeans stole the Poll option.
    “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

very happy.

i always see people whining about trying to get a "legit center"... even though there's literally only a handful of good ones worth mentioning in the league

so the raps draft... *DRUM ROLL*... A FU$%ING CENTER. And from all indications, the best one available.

i see nothing wrong with that.

Comment

I voted happy but wanted players gone. Not that I really want anyone particular gone, I was just hoping for a deal to do down.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I should have pointed out there are 7 days left for the CBA to expire. I was expecting WAAAY more transactions last night - most were only draft pick exchanges. There is still time to see a trade or two.

Comment

Yeah. Kinda depressed. Happy with the draft. Kid could be great.
            Team still looks the same. Trying to be patient.
            My son was chanting "Bye Bye Barney!" last night. And then there really were no trades.

Need patience. Depressed Barney is still on the team.
            Until he's gone, he's still here.
            “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

BC had mentioned on his post Draft interview last night that they were prepared to trade down if Jonas was off the board. He mentioned that players and picks were involved and there may be some opportunities still available from the groundwork that was laid through the draft process.

Comment

My random thoughts about the draft:

1) I really like the pick, JV joins ED/DD as the young core for this franchise long-term
                2) I was surprised at the lack of trades overall
                3) I don't mind Bargnani/Calderon still being on the team; if a good trade came along I wouldn't be against trading anyone on this roster other than ED, but I'm not among the 'haters' who simply want one/both of them gone period
                4) I really really really hope the Raps can draft one of the stud SF in next year's draft, as that would be the very successful conclusion of BC's 2-3 year rebuilding plan, regardless of any other tinkering he does; the Raps would be set long-term at C/PF/SF/SG

Comment

Last edited by Balls of Steel; Fri Jun 24, 2011, 10:40 AM.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls - I'm not sure if you are happy or need medical attention.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      How are you feeling post draft?

Me, I'm happy with the selection - very happy. A C who rebounds, has a soft touch, and doesn't quit - excellent. Might not be here for a year, will not provide immediate help - the price to pay to build a long term winner.

But I'm feeling a little empty. I was hoping one of or both Calderon or Bargnani to finally be traded and it did not happen.

Take the poll and share your thoughts.

*If your only argument is based on Euro-hate, don't bother, I'll delete the comment*
                      Very happy with the pick. Would have liked to see more trading league-wide, definitely would have liked to see more trades from BC, but he did say in his interview that it is time to get to the trades, and they have a FA plan (Casey also alluded to this). Patience is a virtue, and I think there is still movement to come, perhaps before the end of the month.

I was hugely disappointed with the attitude oozing from BKnight, and very happy we did not pick him. Shades of Steve Francis. Loved Kemba's attitude, and truly would have liked to see him come here, my thoughts on Bayless aside.

On another note, ya gotta laugh at the last two Lakers' picks, complete weren't gonna be drafted (could have brought into the camp without drafting), not on the radar players when both Hansbrough and Lighty were available. (hopefully we pull in one or both of them to training camp to take a look when that happens).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Balls - I'm not sure if you are happy or need medical attention.
                        Maybe both.

Comment

very nice pick, and since there wont be a season next year who cares if he can play for the RAPS or not....plus NONE of the other guys would have made any impact on this team...We finally have a centre.

Walker and Knight are both very big question marks....and we now have a chance to pick up a stud PG or SF in the draft next year...Kabongo maybe????

Comment

bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
                            Yeah. Kinda depressed. Happy with the draft. Kid could be great.
                            Team still looks the same. Trying to be patient.
                            My son was chanting "Bye Bye Barney!" last night. And then there really were no trades.

Need patience. Depressed Barney is still on the team.
                            Until he's gone, he's still here.
                            Now that's hilarious. I can picture it now. Hell I will be too if/when he is traded.

Comment

I posted this comment on another website... sums up my feelings:

I think the fanbase has a right to be skeptical about the professional judgment of current management, given the decisions it has made over the last few years. That’s not baseless, nor is it prejudice. It is a healthy doubt about whether Colangelo, Gherardini and the rest can fairly assess (a) which skillsets are best in today’s NBA and (b) which players are a good fit for our current mix.

I have watched the videos and read all I can about Valanciunas. I remain very skeptical that his skill set will translate into the NBA. At a minimum, he is years away from contributing, especially at C where young players are notorious for needing additional time to develop. People will point to Valanciunas playing against “men” in the Euroleague. I would remind everyone that he averaged less than 15 minutes per game. And in those 15 minutes, he averaged about 3 fouls. That’s not going to translate well to the faster, stronger NBA, when you are trying to play help defence (to cover Bargnani) against stronger competition (ex. Kendrick Perkins) while a speedy PG is flying down the lane (ex. Russell Westbrook).

Valanciunas is going to need years to acclimate himself, and that acclimation isn’t going to start next year. Meanwhile, we have an existing core comprised of a number of former high picks (DeRozan, Bayless, Davis, Johnson) whose development is in danger of being stunted while they are forced to wait 3-4 years while the future “franchise centre” works on a buyout and then works on his NBA game. Our core needs playoff reps, not draft picks that get “stashed away” overseas.

And what do we do about Bargnani? All this talk about Casey improving or hiding his defensive liabilities leads me to believe that management is serious about keeping Andrea and lining him up next to Valanciunas. So Ed Davis and Amir are going to split bench minutes?

I believe strongly that this team needes a floor leader with confidence and a will-not-let-us-die-tonight attitude to unlock the current potential of this roster. I did not see that in Bayless this past season. I saw that in Kemba and Knight and I am very disappointed that we passed both of them up in order to (hopefully) plug a current need with a down-the-road C prospect.

I’m asked to trust Colangelo and Co. that they know what they are doing. I’m sorry, but I just don’t. That does not make me ignorant or xenophobic and my lack of trust is not baseless. I hope I’m wrong. I really do.

Comment

Working...
                              X