View Poll Results: How do you feel now that the draft is over?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Happy with everything.

    26 44.07%
  • Happy with selection but wanted a player(s) gone

    24 40.68%
  • Unhappy with everything.

    6 10.17%
  • Unhappy with selection but glad all players remain.

    3 5.08%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67

Thread: Post-Draft Reaction

  1. #41
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Why isn't there an option for "Happy but would of preferred another player" option? I don't mine Jonas V but I wanted Bismack.
    Biyombo is going to become the next Hasheem Thabeet!

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For all those who thought and still think that someone like Kawhi Leonard would be a better pick than JV, consider this. How many nanoseconds would it take San Antonio to say "yes" if Colangelo now offered JV for Leonard? Or what about Indiana, who just traded Leonard for George Hill? Do you think Colangelo would have any trouble trading JV for George Hill? People need to give their head a shake and realize that this pick wasn't just some Euro reach by Colangelo. JV is highly regarded across the NBA. Oh, and anyone who thinks that Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker would have a huge impact in their first season, go back and see how much impact players like Rondo, Westbrook, Wall, etc. had in their first year. Each of those players are arguably much higher in potential than any of the point guards that were available this year.

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Starter bloodyhandedgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I want a trade soon. Need one. This team has to look different. Still looks the same. Need something.
    I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, hes listed as Chu Chu. I think hes worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name. -Tim W.

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm not upset that we took JV over Kawhi. I'm just upset about Kawhi because he slid so much, and it was the Spurs who finally nabbed him. The Spurs quietly had another very solid draft. Those....competent bastards. Kawhi's ceiling may not be super high (who knows?) but the Spurs wouldn't have given up Hill if they didn't feel they had a good read on his likelihood of impacting the game how they want. Meanwhile, they also drafted Cory Joseph, who can now develop into Hill's role, essentially, which is probably the right kind of guy/role for him to target. Again...competent bastards...

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Biyombo is going to become the next Hasheem Thabeet!
    Biyombo is far more fluid an athlete than Thabeet.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I have decided that there is only one way to paint a positive picture on this draft and the absolutely horrible blunder that BC has, once again, made. Here it is, my new mantra:

    Draft? What draft? It never happened. We had no draft picks this year, hence there is no new player on the roster. Simple as that.
    LMFWAO - haha
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  7. #47
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    To all the people who thinks this pick has us back 3 to4 years! I ask this question..what player would of prevented this? Knight will not be a good player next year, he is years away as well but Val will be the true rebounding rim protecting center we have never had. BC well done! We are lucky to have you!!!

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    And if you're complaining that the Raptors might have to wait a year for him, I think that's a lousy argument. Or maybe you think San Antonio should have drafted Armon Gilliam instead of David Robinson because they would have had to have waited two years? I know, it's an extreme example, but the simple fact is that Valanciunas was widely considered to be the best player available, unlike Walker who lasted until 9, and the Raptors weren't going to be competing for a Championship anytime soon, anyway, so why not take the player who is expected to give you the best long term success?
    Tim, if there is no season, then this first point is moot.. but drafting a player that won't be around for a year cannot be a good thing. I'm betting you won't find a single GM in the NBA who is thinking to himself "Gee, I sure wish the guy I just drafted with a top 5 pick, could be developed and trained by someone else for the next year or so."

    If you want to argue based on what other teams did, then you have me. In 2-3 years, when frustrations with JV *really* begin those who loved this pick will very likely use that same excuse: That other teams tried to trade up for him, or that some journalists thought he was the steal of the draft -- therefore you couldn't really blame BC.

    I'll blame BC because I have watched the film and I see a player that can be best described as Shawn Bradley with slightly more athleticism. The only fair excuse I can think of is that everyone saw what Chandler was able to do during the playoffs and people fell in love with an "idea". Do you understand how hard it is for a raw, skinny big man with no offensive skills to become that rugged center that every team wants? People are making comparisons to Joakim Noah. Do you realize how bad Joakim Noah was in his rookie and sophomore years? He was 22 when he was drafted. JV is 19. I'm thinking of a best case scenario where JV is an effective starter by 2014, and I doubt he will ever average 35 minutes per game in the NBA.

    2014 is 3 years from now. Do you know "opportunity cost" is?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

    This pick doesn't just cost whatever is spent on JV. Opportunity cost measure that against foregoing the best alternative. If you spend taxes on a prison that you could have spent on a school, that is the opportunity cost.

    Right now, the measure of this pick is whatever another player could have given you this season, plus the seasons that it'll take for JV to become an effective starter. And that's assuming he does, which is a pretty big presumption. I'm watching the same videos that people have talked about and I see a bunch of pick and rolls and dump off passes. WTF.

    It's all nice to say "one step backward and two steps forward", but I would argue that the Raptors are already standing against a cliff. Let's build a championship team, fine, but it's still a business and good luck selling the fans on Calderon and Bargnani for another season. The average Joe is likely to look at that and say "They were terrible last year. What's changed?". So far, nothing. And with the contracts on the payroll, it's just going to be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic for awhile as far as trades go.

    Btw, to all you who keep basing your arguments on the fact that he's a Euro -- shame on you. There is no reason for that. This is a bad pick because it was a bad pick. Period. Not because of where he was born.

    /rant

  9. #49
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ebrian, saying this was a bad pick simply because it was a bad pick, is opinion. Also one that I do not agree with.

    Let's build a championship team, fine, but it's still a business and good luck selling the fans on Calderon and Bargnani for another season
    Whether Bargnani or Calderon are still around is yet to be seen, and has little bearing on the pick. Had Kemba been picked for example, it put Bayless on the trade front as much or more than Calderon, so again the pick would have little bearing on them.

    This pick doesn't just cost whatever is spent on JV. Opportunity cost measure that against foregoing the best alternative. If you spend taxes on a prison that you could have spent on a school, that is the opportunity cost.
    And by picking a player that is better now, but not better (than JV) later, that is an opportunity cost. It depends upon which angle you want to look at it from, being snide at Tim with links to definitions is petty.

    The only fair excuse I can think of is that everyone saw what Chandler was able to do during the playoffs and people fell in love with an "idea".
    Actually many on here have been talking about him for some time, since November in some cases (see Raul). Sure there are bandwagon jumpers, as there are with Knight, Kemba, Leonard, and 100% Biyombo (me included there), but personally I have seen discussion on him for many months, not just since the finals. Perhaps that is when you tuned into the discussion.

    Yes you have your opinion, and Tim and others have theirs (add note: you do appear to be in the minority on your opinion). Debate and discussion is good, but it seems to be degrading a little into just being snippy and condescending.

  10. #50
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,977
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Tim, if there is no season, then this first point is moot.. but drafting a player that won't be around for a year cannot be a good thing. I'm betting you won't find a single GM in the NBA who is thinking to himself "Gee, I sure wish the guy I just drafted with a top 5 pick, could be developed and trained by someone else for the next year or so."

    If you want to argue based on what other teams did, then you have me. In 2-3 years, when frustrations with JV *really* begin those who loved this pick will very likely use that same excuse: That other teams tried to trade up for him, or that some journalists thought he was the steal of the draft -- therefore you couldn't really blame BC.

    I'll blame BC because I have watched the film and I see a player that can be best described as Shawn Bradley with slightly more athleticism. The only fair excuse I can think of is that everyone saw what Chandler was able to do during the playoffs and people fell in love with an "idea". Do you understand how hard it is for a raw, skinny big man with no offensive skills to become that rugged center that every team wants? People are making comparisons to Joakim Noah. Do you realize how bad Joakim Noah was in his rookie and sophomore years? He was 22 when he was drafted. JV is 19. I'm thinking of a best case scenario where JV is an effective starter by 2014, and I doubt he will ever average 35 minutes per game in the NBA.

    2014 is 3 years from now. Do you know "opportunity cost" is?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

    This pick doesn't just cost whatever is spent on JV. Opportunity cost measure that against foregoing the best alternative. If you spend taxes on a prison that you could have spent on a school, that is the opportunity cost.

    Right now, the measure of this pick is whatever another player could have given you this season, plus the seasons that it'll take for JV to become an effective starter. And that's assuming he does, which is a pretty big presumption. I'm watching the same videos that people have talked about and I see a bunch of pick and rolls and dump off passes. WTF.

    It's all nice to say "one step backward and two steps forward", but I would argue that the Raptors are already standing against a cliff. Let's build a championship team, fine, but it's still a business and good luck selling the fans on Calderon and Bargnani for another season. The average Joe is likely to look at that and say "They were terrible last year. What's changed?". So far, nothing. And with the contracts on the payroll, it's just going to be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic for awhile as far as trades go.

    Btw, to all you who keep basing your arguments on the fact that he's a Euro -- shame on you. There is no reason for that. This is a bad pick because it was a bad pick. Period. Not because of where he was born.

    /rant
    If it's any worth, the players and owners are billions apart on an agreement. The work stoppage is imminent. The NFL is a richer league and is in a similar situation work-wise. What is your response when there is an actual work stoppage and is resolved by the time JV comes here? Oh, right, the other crux of your other argument is that he's skinny and will have a rough first two years in the NBA. Ding. Ding. Ding. He wasn't picked because of his immediate contribution. He's picked because his potential is off the charts as a legitimate 7-foot franchise centre.

    You remind of someone who was cheering for Ed O'Bannon back in the day. Kemba is going to disappoint you in Charlotte for many years to come. However, I respect you for your opinion, I just happen to disagree with it. Cheers.
    Last edited by Balls of Steel; Sat Jun 25th, 2011 at 08:02 PM.
    The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority. - Martin Luther King

  11. #51
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Tim, if there is no season, then this first point is moot.. but drafting a player that won't be around for a year cannot be a good thing. I'm betting you won't find a single GM in the NBA who is thinking to himself "Gee, I sure wish the guy I just drafted with a top 5 pick, could be developed and trained by someone else for the next year or so."

    If you want to argue based on what other teams did, then you have me. In 2-3 years, when frustrations with JV *really* begin those who loved this pick will very likely use that same excuse: That other teams tried to trade up for him, or that some journalists thought he was the steal of the draft -- therefore you couldn't really blame BC.

    I'll blame BC because I have watched the film and I see a player that can be best described as Shawn Bradley with slightly more athleticism. The only fair excuse I can think of is that everyone saw what Chandler was able to do during the playoffs and people fell in love with an "idea". Do you understand how hard it is for a raw, skinny big man with no offensive skills to become that rugged center that every team wants? People are making comparisons to Joakim Noah. Do you realize how bad Joakim Noah was in his rookie and sophomore years? He was 22 when he was drafted. JV is 19. I'm thinking of a best case scenario where JV is an effective starter by 2014, and I doubt he will ever average 35 minutes per game in the NBA.

    2014 is 3 years from now. Do you know "opportunity cost" is?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

    This pick doesn't just cost whatever is spent on JV. Opportunity cost measure that against foregoing the best alternative. If you spend taxes on a prison that you could have spent on a school, that is the opportunity cost.

    Right now, the measure of this pick is whatever another player could have given you this season, plus the seasons that it'll take for JV to become an effective starter. And that's assuming he does, which is a pretty big presumption. I'm watching the same videos that people have talked about and I see a bunch of pick and rolls and dump off passes. WTF.

    It's all nice to say "one step backward and two steps forward", but I would argue that the Raptors are already standing against a cliff. Let's build a championship team, fine, but it's still a business and good luck selling the fans on Calderon and Bargnani for another season. The average Joe is likely to look at that and say "They were terrible last year. What's changed?". So far, nothing. And with the contracts on the payroll, it's just going to be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic for awhile as far as trades go.

    Btw, to all you who keep basing your arguments on the fact that he's a Euro -- shame on you. There is no reason for that. This is a bad pick because it was a bad pick. Period. Not because of where he was born.

    /rant
    So in 3 years, he'll be 22, DD and ED 24/25, Amir and JJ 27, Bayless could be 25/26, next year draft pick 22-24. If Bargnani stays he'd be 28.

    It sounds to me like we'll have a young team hitting their prime together.

    I will enjoy watching the team develop over those three seasons.

  12. #52
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Tim, if there is no season, then this first point is moot.. but drafting a player that won't be around for a year cannot be a good thing. I'm betting you won't find a single GM in the NBA who is thinking to himself "Gee, I sure wish the guy I just drafted with a top 5 pick, could be developed and trained by someone else for the next year or so."
    Well, I do know there were quite a number of teams, including the Spurs, who wanted to trade up to take the guy even though they knew he wouldn't be able to play next year. I think that says a lot about what other GMs think about the pick.

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    In 2-3 years, when frustrations with JV *really* begin those who loved this pick will very likely use that same excuse: That other teams tried to trade up for him, or that some journalists thought he was the steal of the draft -- therefore you couldn't really blame BC.
    Whoa. Are you already writing off his career? Wouldn't that be just as guilty of doing what you claim we are doing?

    No one knows how ANY player will perform in the NBA. You just be as informed as you can and hope for the best.

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I'll blame BC because I have watched the film and I see a player that can be best described as Shawn Bradley with slightly more athleticism. The only fair excuse I can think of is that everyone saw what Chandler was able to do during the playoffs and people fell in love with an "idea". Do you understand how hard it is for a raw, skinny big man with no offensive skills to become that rugged center that every team wants? People are making comparisons to Joakim Noah. Do you realize how bad Joakim Noah was in his rookie and sophomore years? He was 22 when he was drafted. JV is 19. I'm thinking of a best case scenario where JV is an effective starter by 2014, and I doubt he will ever average 35 minutes per game in the NBA.

    2014 is 3 years from now.
    Shawn Bradley with slightly more athleticism? Really? And you know Bradley didn't fail to become the player some envisioned because he lacked the physical skills to play at a high level. It was because he lacked the mental skills. You stick Amir Johnson's head on Shawn Bradley's body and you've got yourself an All-Star. And Valanciunas has FAR more in common with Amir Johnson, including his desire and hustle, than Shawn Bradley. And Valanciunas is 3 inches taller and 5 years younger.

    Will it take a few years for him to really hit his stride? But I'm pretty sure the Raptors aren't going to be a threat to make the Finals before 2014, so I really don't understand what your point is. The Raptors are a young team and can afford to wait. DeRozan, Davis, Amir, Bayless, James Johnson and even Alabi are all under the age of 25. 2014 is probably when this team will just be hitting it's stride and really competing, so if that's when Valanciunas starts to become an effective starter, then that's actually great timing.

    Besides, Valanciunas is the type of player that can be effective even before he's fully developed, because he hustles and works hard. What I find funny about all the reaction is that he's exactly the type of player that Raptor fans love.

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Do you know "opportunity cost" is?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

    This pick doesn't just cost whatever is spent on JV. Opportunity cost measure that against foregoing the best alternative. If you spend taxes on a prison that you could have spent on a school, that is the opportunity cost.

    Right now, the measure of this pick is whatever another player could have given you this season, plus the seasons that it'll take for JV to become an effective starter. And that's assuming he does, which is a pretty big presumption. I'm watching the same videos that people have talked about and I see a bunch of pick and rolls and dump off passes. WTF.

    It's all nice to say "one step backward and two steps forward", but I would argue that the Raptors are already standing against a cliff. Let's build a championship team, fine, but it's still a business and good luck selling the fans on Calderon and Bargnani for another season. The average Joe is likely to look at that and say "They were terrible last year. What's changed?". So far, nothing. And with the contracts on the payroll, it's just going to be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic for awhile as far as trades go.

    Btw, to all you who keep basing your arguments on the fact that he's a Euro -- shame on you. There is no reason for that. This is a bad pick because it was a bad pick. Period. Not because of where he was born.

    /rant
    What the average Joe says about next year doesn't really matter all that much, especially if it leads to something really good down the road.

    And if the pick was a bad pick, it was a bad pick, but you could say the same if it was Brandon Knight, Kemba Walker or Biyombo, all of whom have just as much chance of doing very little in the NBA. You talk as if Valanciunas is really that much more of a gamble than the other options and that's simply not true. I had reservations about every player, including Valanciunas. I personally think Knight is the biggest gamble, because if he can't play the point, which I question whether he can, he's basically just a shorter Barbosa. At best.

    I just don't understand how you can say make that argument when there wasn't one single sure thing who was an option. And if the pick is successful, then it has the chance to have a far more positive effect on the franchise than anyone else could have.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  13. #53
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    So in 3 years, he'll be 22, DD and ED 24/25, Amir and JJ 27, Bayless could be 25/26, next year draft pick 22-24. If Bargnani stays he'd be 28.

    It sounds to me like we'll have a young team hitting their prime together.

    I will enjoy watching the team develop over those three seasons.
    Take out Bargnani and add whoever they get next year, and that looks AWFULLY good to me. As long as Colangelo doesn't get impatient.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  14. #54
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In 3 years if James Johnson and Jerryd Bayless are anything more than human victory cigars, we'll be in big trouble.

    The hope is JV proves me wrong, but I always look at the big picture, and in the big picture I see the Raptors potentially wasting the next 5 years on a player that will likely never amount to much. Another hope is that if there's another big man available, whoever the GM is by then doesn't think we're set at the position. Missed opportunities, as well as wasted years will be key to coming out of this as unscathed as possible.

    As I said, I see JV becoming an effective starter somewhere between 3-5 years. Detroit was lucky that they only stuck with Darko for 3 years.. Washington stuck with Kwame for 4... Chicago with Eddy Curry (and then New York). The problem with drafting these types of projects who have several issues to their game is people wait longer for big men to produce, thus more wasted years before realizing it's time to cut them off.

    Anyway, I've said my peace. There's nothing to do but wait.
    Last edited by ebrian; Sat Jun 25th, 2011 at 11:30 PM.

  15. #55
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    In 3 years if James Johnson and Jerryd Bayless are anything more than human victory cigars, we'll be in big trouble.

    The hope is JV proves me wrong, but I always look at the big picture, and in the big picture I see the Raptors potentially wasting the next 5 years on a player that will likely never amount to much. Another hope is that if there's another big man available, whoever the GM is by then doesn't think we're set at the position. Missed opportunities, as well as wasted years will be key to coming out of this as unscathed as possible.

    As I said, I see JV becoming an effective starter somewhere between 3-5 years. Detroit was lucky that they only stuck with Darko for 3 years.. Washington stuck with Kwame for 4... Chicago with Eddy Curry (and then New York). The problem with drafting these types of projects who have several issues to their game is people wait longer for big men to produce, thus more wasted years before realizing it's time to cut them off.

    Anyway, I've said my peace. There's nothing to do but wait.
    What if James Johnson and Bayless actually fulfill their potential? They both have the potential to be decent players.

    And what if the Raptors drafted Walker and he turned out to be bust? Valanciunas at least has the size and mobility to be a contributor even if he doesn't fulfill his potential, like Darko and Kwame). Walker, at worst, probably doesn't stick in the league for more than a few years.

    I understand you don't like the pick, but what you (and most others) don't seem to realize is that there were no safe picks. None. Besides, the teams that make the safe picks end up with the safe teams. Decent, but never good. Indiana was great at making safe picks. And it lead to mediocrity.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  16. #56
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    What if James Johnson and Bayless actually fulfill their potential? They both have the potential to be decent players.
    What if Andrea Bargnani starts defending and rebounding? Look, I can tell that you don't like jumping to conclusions, but if you know basketball as well as I think you do, then you know the likelihood of these guys getting much better. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I remember you saying Bayless is not even a starting point guard. He's tweener if I ever saw one, and not a consistent one. James Johnson is a guy whose numbers actually went down when he went from playing limited minutes to becoming a starter. On a bad team. If DeRozan is the future if this franchise at SG, then we'll need a SF that can shoot the ball outside of 8 feet from the basket. James Johnson isn't that guy, and since he's isn't exactly a lockdown defender, I think his time with us will be short (especially after we draft a SF next season).

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    And what if the Raptors drafted Walker and he turned out to be bust? Valanciunas at least has the size and mobility to be a contributor even if he doesn't fulfill his potential, like Darko and Kwame). Walker, at worst, probably doesn't stick in the league for more than a few years.
    Exactly. Opportunity cost. If Walker is a bust, we'll know by the end of his rookie contract. Because he's older, we won't have to wait as long to see. Very likely we'll know by the end of his 2nd year and if he's no good, you don't even need to pick up the last two optional years. If JV turns out to be a bust, we'll have invested 4-6 years on him. Centers typically take longer to develop than other positions. JV is a year out from hitting the NBA, plus he's skinny and has virtually no offensive game. Film that I've seen indicate he can block shots and rebounding but hasn't needed to use any ability in establishing position in the paint because he's just taller and longer than everyone else on the court. It won't be as easy in the NBA. If JV is a bust, we'll be halfway through his 2nd contract, likely a deal worth around $33M over 4-5 years. Are you prepared to invest the next 5-8 years on a guy who was raw to begin with in a weak draft? Opportunity cost. That's a lot of time to invest on a guy who could potentially be nothing more than a career backup C.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  17. #57
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    What if Andrea Bargnani starts defending and rebounding? Look, I can tell that you don't like jumping to conclusions, but if you know basketball as well as I think you do, then you know the likelihood of these guys getting much better. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I remember you saying Bayless is not even a starting point guard. He's tweener if I ever saw one, and not a consistent one. James Johnson is a guy whose numbers actually went down when he went from playing limited minutes to becoming a starter. On a bad team. If DeRozan is the future if this franchise at SG, then we'll need a SF that can shoot the ball outside of 8 feet from the basket. James Johnson isn't that guy, and since he's isn't exactly a lockdown defender, I think his time with us will be short (especially after we draft a SF next season).
    With Bargnani, there's been literally no indication that he'll ever even be an average defender and rebounder. None. And you're not wrong about what I said about Bayless. I don't think he's anywhere close to a starting PG, at this point, but he also hasn't been given much of a chance to develop, and I've liked what I've seen so far. It doesn't mean I think he'll ever be aAll Star, but I've seen enough to know he could be a decent rotation player some day, maybe even a starter. I think it's unlikely he'll ever be a good starter in the league, but I do like the potential I've seen from him. He's got the skills and he seems to have the determination and willingness to work. Those are the key ingredients to success in the NBA.

    As for James Johnson, if he can get himself a consistent jumpshot, something that can be easily attained through hard work, he can be a starter in the league. There's literally no reason he can't become a decent starter in the NBA. The only question is whether he is willing to do what it takes to get there. Like Bayless, he wasn't given much of a chance before coming to the Raptors.

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Exactly. Opportunity cost. If Walker is a bust, we'll know by the end of his rookie contract. Because he's older, we won't have to wait as long to see. Very likely we'll know by the end of his 2nd year and if he's no good, you don't even need to pick up the last two optional years. If JV turns out to be a bust, we'll have invested 4-6 years on him. Centers typically take longer to develop than other positions. JV is a year out from hitting the NBA, plus he's skinny and has virtually no offensive game. Film that I've seen indicate he can block shots and rebounding but hasn't needed to use any ability in establishing position in the paint because he's just taller and longer than everyone else on the court. It won't be as easy in the NBA. If JV is a bust, we'll be halfway through his 2nd contract, likely a deal worth around $33M over 4-5 years. Are you prepared to invest the next 5-8 years on a guy who was raw to begin with in a weak draft? Opportunity cost. That's a lot of time to invest on a guy who could potentially be nothing more than a career backup C.
    I think you misunderstand what it means when a player takes 5 years to develop. It doesn't mean that the player does nothing for 5 years and then in his sixth year he either is a good player or a bust. You either see development or you don't. With busts like Olowakandi, Kwame and Darko (or Patrick O'Bryant or Mouhamed Sene), there was a lack of development after a year or two that was the indication that they would never fulfill their potential. Guys like Jermaine O'Neal, Kendrick Perkins and Andrew Bynum all showed good development which gave their team a good indication that they would become good players.

    No matter who you take, it's a gamble. You'll have wasted a high lottery pick. The teams that go the safest routes usually end up with mediocre teams, at best. Valanciunas MAY have been a bigger risk (although that's debatable) but he's also the bigger payoff if he succeeds. There's a reason why teams are willing to gamble far more on centers than other players. Basically, it comes down to whether you want the one cookie, or two.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  18. #58
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Please, please, please stop using "opportunity cost" in this discussion. It's not a matter of understanding how opportunity cost works; everything stated here is mere opinion. "We're going to waste 5 years on Valanciunas before realizing he's a bust" is an opinion. "It's only going to take 2 years to realize the same about Walker" is an opinion. If I was hellbent against Walker, I could make the same argument. Here, let me try:

    If Valanciunas is a bust, we'll know sometime during the second year of his contract (three seasons from now). We could tell pretty early that Bargnani would never be what people had hoped for him to be. We won't make the same mistake twice with these Euros. If Walker turns out to be a bust, we'll have invested 4-6 years on him. We'll be stuck on his NCAA credentials and all his intangibles. There's no way someone like him could possibly fail in this league. We'll look back at the Billups and the Nashes of the league. Both PGs only became what they are now in the 5th season of their careers. Nash was even a four-year college grad, yet it's apparent that Phoenix should have been more patient with him.

    This is probably where I would start talking about opportunity cost, and how we'd waste less time going with Valanciunas. Except this isn't really an exercise in Economics 101, but in recognizing an opinion for what it is.

  19. #59
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,377
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Center is one of the most difficult positions to play. I don't think two years is a fair window. I think you need to view centers like NFL wide receivers. You need to give them a good three year window at least to know where they're headed. Most are offering praise to JV, suggesting he's the best center prospect in the draft. You can at least hang your hat on the fact that the majority of people in the field like the pick. The Spurs were trying to move a cornerstone PG to grab him, that should tell you a lot right there in itself. When Bargnani was drafted the response was lukewarm at best in most circles. He doesn't play like Bargnani, he's not entering into the same situation as Bargnani and won't be treated the same way as Bargnani. We need to draw a line in the sand here, we're talking apples and oranges.

    And for the record, Bargnani was not a "mistake" or a bust. I feel people saying that are being unfair and looking at this out of context. The pick made a lot of sense in 2006 given the roster and Bargnani's abilities and attributes. He's a very talented player to this day and there are few big men not named Dirk who can score the ball better than him. He and the Raptors both share a role in his failure to live up to expectations. He's a one way player due to his desire and the Raptors lack of tough love from start to present. Sam did the right thing early on, but seemed to be pressured into backing off... That was the mistake.

    The selection of JV now makes a lot of sense. He's at the other end of the spectrum when it comes to priorities on the floor. JV is a red, Bargnani is a... Violet.
    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Jun 28th, 2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: had a little more to say

  20. #60
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Center is one of the most difficult positions to play. I don't think two years is a fair window. I think you need to view centers like NFL wide receivers. You need to give them a good three year window at least to know where they're headed. Most are offering praise to JV, suggesting he's the best center prospect in the draft. You can at least hang your hat on the fact that the majority of people in the field like the pick. The Spurs were trying to move a cornerstone PG to grab him, that should tell you a lot right there in itself. When Bargnani was drafted the response was lukewarm at best in most circles. He doesn't play like Bargnani, he's not entering into the same situation as Bargnani and won't be treated the same way as Bargnani. We need to draw a line in the sand here, we're talking apples and oranges.

    And for the record, Bargnani was not a "mistake" or a bust. I feel people saying that are being unfair and looking at this out of context. The pick made a lot of sense in 2006 given the roster and Bargnani's abilities and attributes. He's a very talented player to this day and there are few big men not named Dirk who can score the ball better than him. He and the Raptors both share a role in his failure to live up to expectations. He's a one way player due to his desire and the Raptors lack of tough love from start to present. Sam did the right thing early on, but seemed to be pressured into backing off... That was the mistake.

    The selection of JV now makes a lot of sense. He's at the other end of the spectrum when it comes to priorities on the floor. JV is a red, Bargnani is a... Violet.
    Ya, the misnomer that Bargnani is a bust is a little ridiculous. I'm sure guys Kwame, Olowakandi and Darko would have LOVED to have Bargnani's career so far. Hell, so would half of the league.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •