Page 53 of 238 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 4750

Thread: 2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    No he wants him to gain weight so he can take more contact and give out more contact when he is driving to the rim. It has nothing to do with changing positions.
    Agreed, Demar is a two, he's going to get his ass handed to by threes whether he adds weight or not.

He's a two, he's a good two, not the expected we hoped, but he'll pick it up.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    DeMar's a much better 3 than 2.
    That would be the beauty of Wilson Chandler or Nicolas Batum with DeMar. Both those guys are offensively talented enough, especially Batum, to play SG while having the size and ability to guard the other team's SF.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Absolutely.
    Darn! With the streak over I can no l longer justify buying cookies.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quincy Miller: DraftExpress.com Prospect of the Week

Miller's intrigue from an NBA standpoint starts with the physical tools that he brings to the table, as he possesses great size for a small forward prospect at 6-9, with a wingspan reportedly measured (by Baylor) at 7-4.

His wiry, under-developed frame does not look NBA-ready at this stage, but considering the fact that he turned 19 only a few months ago (November), he should continue to fill out in time.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1nWyr9mUE
    http://www.draftexpress.com
    Miller's most impressive attribute might be his ability to create shots off the dribble. He doesn't have the most explosive first step, but he has outstanding scoring instincts, doing a nice job utilizing shot fakes and showing terrific ball-handling skills for a player at 6-9. He's able to put the ball on the floor with either hand and utilize crossovers, hesitations, spin moves, jukes, and step-back dribbles to create separation to get his shot off, with superb body control and very polished footwork.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1nWyhRL4I
    It will be interesting to see how much more explosive he will get over time considering he's only about 15 months removed from tearing his ACL in December of 2010. This is an injury which at times can take up to 18 months to fully recover from, especially for players lacking in lower body strength, which Miller clearly is. Watching him play, he appears to be still moving gingerly at times, even with a slight limp, which is something teams will surely want to take a closer look at during the pre-draft process.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1nWyLcoEl
    Defensively, it's tough to get a great gauge on Miller as a man-to-man defender, since Baylor uses a zone as their primary defense. It appears that he'll have quite a bit of work to do, however, as his defensive fundamentals seem to be lacking, as he struggles to get in a low stance on the perimeter and has below average lateral quickness for his position.

Additionally, his focus and energy level are inconsistent, as he doesn't seem to bring the same intensity level from possession to possession, which was clearly an issue for him already in high school. He'll need to improve his toughness, particularly in terms of fighting his way through screens, something that getting stronger will likely help with.

What's intriguing about Miller is he clearly has the potential to be very dangerous on this end of the floor, with his excellent size and length at the small forward position. His 7-4 wingspan enables him to contest opponents' shots even from a half step away from his man, giving him a cushion to take away driving angles.

Even when he gets beat he's often agile enough to still put himself in position to make a play at the rim, helping him get plenty of blocks, steals and rebounds due to his sheer length and anticipation skills.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1nWzKMqnE

Additionally, his focus and energy level are inconsistent, as he doesn't seem to bring the same intensity level from possession to possession, which was clearly an issue for him already in high school. He'll need to improve his toughness, particularly in terms of fighting his way through screens, something that getting stronger will likely help with.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1nWyXeZuo
    Regardless of how he progresses with his athleticism, Miller clearly has some attributes that will make him very attractive to NBA decision-makers with his high skill level and scoring ability to go along with his excellent size and length at the small forward position.

His under-developed frame may limit how quickly he'd be able to immediately contribute at the NBA level, but, barring any long-term injury concerns, he has a terrific upside to grow into as he continues to put on strength, improve on the defensive end, and adds polish offensively.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1nWxqpOyu

There is a lot to like about Quincy Miller. I still believe his ceiling his higher than both Barnes and MKG.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Miller has dropped in most draft boards through the season. He dropped a goose egg on Texas last week. I'll qualify that. Quincy had a rebound and two turnovers. Chad Ford now has him at 14 now behind Damien Lillard.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    There is a lot to like about Quincy Miller. I still believe his ceiling his higher than both Barnes and MKG.
    Its probably true but how long are you willing to wait for him? I think BryCo will go for a more NBA ready player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Miller has dropped in most draft boards through the season. He dropped a goose egg on Texas last week. I'll qualify that. Quincy had a rebound and two turnovers. Chad Ford now has him at 14 now behind Damien Lillard.
    Damian Lillard is rising every where if raptors pick at the 9 or lower. They would seriously have to consider him. Which I'm would be tottaly pleased with.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Its probably true but how long are you willing to wait for him? I think BryCo will go for a more NBA ready player.
    It is better going for a guy who will be much better long term than a dude who can come in and provide right away but not have a high ceiling. Miller would be excellent for this team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    It is better going for a guy who will be much better long term than a dude who can come in and provide right away but not have a high ceiling. Miller would be excellent for this team
    The thing is here.....

B.C created a team that'll be "rebuild now, contend for the future."

But from what I've read from other threads, he wants to hit the ground running next year.

So what does that mean? I honestly don't know.

But maybe he believes the guy we sign this draft will be a long-term type project, but is someone that will contribute right away. Because Valanciunas is coming next season, healthy Bargnani and Jose, Demar Derozan getting his grove on, and the small forward, It could be something like an OKC where they have the team built to win a championship in the next few years, but have been able to be very competitive and contend at early stages.

So, my opinion, grab the higher ceiling player, because in the long term, which is what the team is built to be in, he could help us in contention.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    The thing is here.....

B.C created a team that'll be "rebuild now, contend for the future."

But from what I've read from other threads, he wants to hit the ground running next year.

So what does that mean? I honestly don't know.

But maybe he believes the guy we sign this draft will be a long-term type project, but is someone that will contribute right away. Because Valanciunas is coming next season, healthy Bargnani and Jose, Demar Derozan getting his grove on, and the small forward, It could be something like an OKC where they have the team built to win a championship in the next few years, but have been able to be very competitive and contend at early stages.

So, my opinion, grab the higher ceiling player, because in the long term, which is what the team is built to be in, he could help us in contention.
    Than that would be PJ3 after Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond he has the highest ceilling.

Post Thanks / Like

Than that would be PJ3 after Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond he has the highest ceilling.
    PJ3 also has one of the lowest basements as well.

His performance over the last 6 games is a great exhibit of this - especially against #4 Missouri and #10 Kansas.

I still don't know how a player with his length and athleticism can go 14 games with just 4 blocks and in 11 of those games have 0.

Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Too bad this wont be the case come draft night

http://nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft

If that was the case i would hands down trade Jose for two low first round picks because we could grab Lillard, Quincy Miller and MKG and play him at shooting guard or Lamb or Beal ..... but I highly doubt this is what the board will look like at the end of the season. Oh well, it's nice to think about it though.
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

+1

Funny thing is that both PJ3 and Miller are very similar. Long athletic players with good handles and can shoot. Guards in a forwards body. Miller has better range, but PJ3 has a better mid range game and no ACL concerns. They both have been inconsistent and don't put the same effort from game to game. But both have huge upsides and potential to be one of the top 4 or 5 players to come out of thise draft. PJ3 is the safer bet as he is more NBA ready and doesn't come with the injury concerns.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    +1

Funny thing is that both PJ3 and Miller are very similar. Long athletic players with good handles and can shoot. Guards in a forwards body. Miller has better range, but PJ3 has a better mid range game and no ACL concerns. They both have been inconsistent and don't put the same effort from game to game. But both have huge upsides and potential to be one of the top 4 or 5 players to come out of thise draft. PJ3 is the safer bet as he is more NBA ready and doesn't come with the injury concerns.
    I've seen a few Baylor games this year and 'similar' - outside of long and lean - is not a word I would use to compare PJ3 and Miller.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I played ESPN's Draft Lottery Machine several times for kicks. Raptors mostly ended up 6-8 and were usually projected to take Cody Zeller or Thomas Robinson. All of a sudden the draft doesn't look quite so promising... I guess Hollinger hasn't heard of that JV kid that the Raptors drafted last year. I would think that if the Raptors are in the 6-8 area and can't get MKG or Barnes, they might consider slipping back a bit to pick up Beal or Miller, and maybe add another 1st round pick to look for a PG (Lillard? Kabongo? Wroten?).

Post Thanks / Like

Bradley Beal is going to be in that 6-8 range

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bradley Beal is going to be in that 6-8 range
    I like Beal, but I think that Colangelo was hoping to get a more special player when he decided to tank this season. If they draft Beal, I would think that they probably need to move DeRozan. They would be too small to play together on the wing. Do they take a flyer on PJ3 if MKG and Barnes are gone? Does Miller's knee create too much concern to take him in the top 6-8? Tougher choices than it seemed several months ago. Another thought might be to take someone like Robinson to round out the front court, and perhaps move Davis for another lower draft pick to try to pick up a PG or scoring 2 or 3.

One more consideration... maybe they look to move DeRozan, draft Beal and sign WChandler to complement Beal on the wing. I tend to think that Beal has a more well-rounded game than DeRozan, but that is based on a small sample size of viewings.
    Last edited by Bouncepass; Tue Feb 28th, 2012 at 02:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    I like Beal, but I think that Colangelo was hoping to get a more special player when he decided to tank this season. If they draft Beal, I would think that they probably need to move DeRozan. They would be too small to play together on the wing. Do they take a flyer on PJ3 if MKG and Barnes are gone? Does Miller's knee create too much concern to take him in the top 6-8? Tougher choices than it seemed several months ago. Another thought might be to take someone like Robinson to round out the front court, and perhaps move Davis for another lower draft pick to try to pick up a PG or scoring 2 or 3.

One more consideration... maybe they look to move DeRozan, draft Beal and sign WChandler to complement Beal on the wing. I tend to think that Beal has a more well-rounded game than DeRozan, but that is based on a small sample size of viewings.
    I think DeMar and Beal can play with each other just fine. As we seen Casey has no problem having a small back court(not that its that small anyway, seeing that Beak 6'4" and a half). I think they would complement each other pretty good too.

I don't think that Beal is done growing anyways. He is still 18 years old. He should at the very less grow one more inch and be about 6'5" and half. Which is legit for the shooting guard position. For example of a successful similar wing pairing would be Ray Allen 6'5" and Paul Pierce 6'7".

I don't think he would get start as rookie though. I think were going to sign a vet SF next to Demar and maybe in 2 years they could start together. After Demar has gain more muscle.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DeMar is a poor rebounder at SG. It would be logical to assume he'd be even a worse rebounder against larger players. Put that along side Bargnani whom has been and adequate rebounder at best this season and you're putting a lot of pressure on Jonas to be a big time rebounder/defender in a starting line up with Beal, DeRozan, Bargnani combo.

Pierce and Allen are future HOF's.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Callipari on MKG returning

A very good read on MKG and his comments about returning to UK.

“I’ll be with him whatever he wants to do. Obviously, if he wants to stay, I’m going to be very happy,” Calipari said. “But in the same sense, it’s too early to tell what anyone is going to do right now. He says, ‘I want to get my degree from Kentucky,’ and I agree. I want him to also. Basketball-wise, he’s got to wait until the year is out and figure out where everything is. He is a young freshman. He’s very young.”

Assuming that’s the consensus after the season, Calipari might shove Kidd-Gilchrist out the door.

“If Michael is the one pick in the draft, yes, I would wrestle him to the floor and say, ‘What are you thinking?’ ” Calipari said. “He’s got to come up with some reasons he’s coming back and convince me. Here’s why: What if he got hurt and I’m out there convincing him to come back? What if that happened? Or something happened to him that all of the sudden really hurt him and his draft-ability and his future?

“It’s hard to live with yourself, unless you’re just trying to win five more games or ‘How many games can I win before I retire?’ This is about these young people.”

Calipari did say that former UK one-and-done players such as John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins and Eric Bledsoe, who still spend a great deal of their down time hanging out in Lexington, often say to him, “Man, I wish I could have stayed three or four years,” and his current crop of star freshmen have said they’d like to stick around.

“But there’s opportunities that arise. Just like Bill Gates, when he said, ‘You know what? I’m done with school; I’m going to chase my dreams’ and in his case, change the world,” Calipari said. “Steve Jobs did the same thing; left school and went out and changed the world.

“You have opportunities. You’ve got to look at them and figure out what’s right.”

Source

Thread Information