Page 237 of 238 FirstFirst ... 137 187 227 235 236 237 238 LastLast
Results 4,721 to 4,740 of 4750

Thread: 2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

At least one site liked our picks, nbadraft.net gave the draft an A for the Raps:

Toronto clearly went with the guy who they thought was the best on the board. Ross has so many NBA qualities that it's easy to understand how they could pass on Austin Rivers. Ross was one of our favorite players and could become the top SG from this year's class. He should turn out to be an excellent pick for the Raptors, blending with Demar Derozan at the 2/3 positions. Quincy Acy also has a lot of likeable qualities with a high motor and a huge wingspan.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I saw that Ross for 6'6" and 200lbs. Even if he puts on another 20lbs at that size he can only be an NBA SG I think.

Acy reminds be more of Joel Anthony than Reggie Evans with the big wing span.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I thought I saw that Ross for 6'6" and 200lbs. Even if he puts on another 20lbs at that size he can only be an NBA SG I think.

I disagree if he puts on 20lbs he could guard 3's in this league

Post Thanks / Like

Have any resident ESPN Insiders read Chad Ford's blurb and grade assigned to the Raptors draft?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I disagree if he puts on 20lbs he could guard 3's in this league
    Casey said in the press conference today that DeMar has bulked up to where he can guard SF, or soon will be. I still don't fully buy it, but it seems that this is at least the direction they are moving with Ross at SG and DeMar at SF.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Have any resident ESPN Insiders read Chad Ford's blurb and grade assigned to the Raptors draft?
    TORONTO RAPTORS | GRADE: C+
    Round 1: Terrence Ross (8)

Round 2: Quincy Acy (37), Tomislav Zubcic (56)

Analysis: The Raptors had a disappointing night. They were hoping that either Waiters or Barnes would be there, but when both were taken, I think the Raptors might have reached a bit.

I like Ross, and on certain teams I would've liked him a lot. But I don't think either he or DeMar DeRozan are small forwards. Ross does bring the shooting DeRozan lacks, but it would've been nice if the Raptors could have found help at either the one or three. Given how badly the Rockets wanted into the Top 10 (they were after Drummond and Rivers), I think I would've swapped this one for a few picks from Houston. They still could've landed Ross and picked up another asset as well.

Acy is a great athlete and plays with lots of intensity, but he's undersized for his position. Zubcic is a nice prospect on paper as a big point forward, but he's yet to show great production in Europe.
    Source: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...des-every-team

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post

He's 6'7" and idk. He could guard 3, sonny weems played the 3 and he's only 6'6 and 205

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks King.

Given that every expert and fan assumed Toronto could trade #8 (and maybe #56) to Houston for say #12 & #18, to still be able to get Ross, I have to assume that BC looked into it and such a deal simply wasn't available.

It seems that the experts are high on Ross, but just think he was picked a few spots too high and isn't a SF. As long as the Raps fill their other holes (mainly starting SF) by other means, than this all becomes a moot point. As for the issue of a hole at PG, I think Calderon or Nash would fill it quite well for a year, while the team continues to search for their PG-of-the-future (I certainly don't think Rivers would solve that need and Marshall would've been an even bigger reach at #8).

I'm torn on Acy, but it was #37, so whatever. I hope the kid works out for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently all the deals to go down were out of the first altogether.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    He's 6'7" and idk. He could guard 3, sonny weems played the 3 and he's only 6'6 and 205
    But he shouldn't have. That was one of the biggest causes for frustration with Weems. As a backup SG, he was alright. As a backup SF (or even worse, as a starting SF), he was overmatched most of the time. And the whole "young onez" thing went to his head, so that his ego kept blocking his shots... buh bye! If Weems facilitates a S&T for Nash or nets a 2nd round pick as a S&T deal on his own, I'll be quite pleased.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I like both of our high picks. I really do. I just thought there were better options available, but I guess that's why I'm not making decisions. I could care less about our last pick, was hoping we'd trade it for anything really.

Post Thanks / Like

But he shouldn't have. That was one of the biggest causes for frustration with Weems. As a backup SG, he was alright. As a backup SF (or even worse, as a starting SF), he was overmatched most of the time. And the whole "young onez" thing went to his head, so that his ego kept blocking his shots... buh bye! If Weems facilitates a S&T for Nash or nets a 2nd round pick as a S&T deal on his own, I'll be quite pleased.
    what about pietrus? he's 6'6" 215. I don't see why Ross can't play the 3 if he adds a little weight. Even Casey said that he'll play both Ross and DeRozan at both wing spots

Post Thanks / Like

I think what Calgary is saying is Weems sucks and good riddance.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    :-)

I'd package him with Bayless & JJ for something useful, if I could! Just not my cup of tea.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if this means that Weems can't be dealt in a S&T? This is from Larry Coon's chat on ESPN today:

JB
    Larry, because Jeff Green was technically not on the Celtics’ roster last season, are they unable to sign-and-trade him?

Larry Coon
    Correct. One of the new rules is that teams can only do a sign-and-trade with a player that was on their roster the previous season. By the way, the same thing goes for Phoenix with Aaron Brooks, and Utah for AK-47.

Post Thanks / Like

CNNSI gave Toronto's draft a B+

B+ Toronto Raptors
    Once you got past Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal, there was incredible parity -- perceive parity, anyway -- among the shooting guard crop. So while Terrence Ross (No. 8) was expected to go later in the lottery or possibly in the late teens, it's not really a surprise that he landed here. He's an athletic scorer and a big-time shooter who seems destined to become a favorite of coach Dwane Casey. Ross joins DeMar DeRozan to give an offense-starved team another perimeter scorer. Toronto also took Baylor small forward Quincy Acy at No. 37, and the high-energy player will be there to crash the glass and dive for loose balls. At No. 56, Toronto grabbed 7-foot Croatian forward Tomislav Zubic.
    LINK: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...des/index.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    ya i dont like weems. T Ross is a million times better than him

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Ross and Acy.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Given that every expert and fan assumed Toronto could trade #8 (and maybe #56) to Houston for say #12 & #18, to still be able to get Ross, I have to assume that BC looked into it and such a deal simply wasn't available.
    I also find it amusing that Chad Ford didn't even entertain the idea that Bryan was calling teams to trade down, but that nothing came of it. David Aldridge had no problem with the pick when he analysed it for NBA TV.

Post Thanks / Like

Grading a draft right after it takes place is stupid anyways. I'd rather see grades 2 or 3 years later.
    @jerboat

Thread Information