2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    haha I'm not sold on an Anthony Davis trade either, should the Raps get the #1 pick.

On one hand, I would immediately trade Ed Davis & Amir, to enjoy the Valanciunas, Bargnani and A.Davis three-headed monster at the C/PF positions for years to come. I think the Raps could get a pretty decent return for those 2 guys, to address needs at other positions.

On the other hand, I'd at least be willing to listen to offers for the #1 pick. If some team were to offer a pick in the 2-7 range AND a legit good young player at the PG, SG or SF position, I'd at least have to consider it. In that case, I'd still be looking to unload either Amir/Ed, to be left with Valanciunas & Gray at C and Bargnani & Ed/Amir at PF.

Or who knows, maybe Portland's free-fall continues and they wind up with a pick around #9 (they would have the 13th pick as of today, but are only 2 games ahead of 9th worst), so they offer that pick and Batum for the #1 overall pick. An offer like that would definitely make BC think long and hard about trading the pick, or so I would assume.

So many options to consider when teams are clamoring for the #1 overall pick! Please lottery balls, be kind to the Raptors!
    That would be a long and hard thought, no doubt. The only problem is Batum would have to agree to a sign and trade to Toronto to get it done.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      That would be a long and hard thought, no doubt. The only problem is Batum would have to agree to a sign and trade to Toronto to get it done.
      If the trade was done prior to the draft, wouldn't the trade be done at his current salary, with the Raps holding his restricted FA right? I know they wouldn't get his full 'Bird rights', but I thought all contracts were in tact until July 1st...

Comment

• I'd rather wait to sign Batum in the off-season. Make your best offer, if you don't get him than at least you didn't over pay. The trade for Davis that I prefer would be something with the Hornets. They would be drafting from the 1-4 spot and then again probably around 10 - 15 if Minnesota slides due to the Rubio injury. Also the other option would be pick Davis and trade Bargnani for draft picks. Although, I'm not sure how much that will benefit us.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          If the trade was done prior to the draft, wouldn't the trade be done at his current salary, with the Raps holding his restricted FA right? I know they wouldn't get his full 'Bird rights', but I thought all contracts were in tact until July 1st...
          You can't make a trade after the trade deadline until July 1st at which point Batum is a RFA. RFA can't be traded i.e. you can't trade their rights.

Comment

• Anthony Davis is going to be, barring injury, a great one, franchise type player. His lucky team will assuredly accommodate their roster to insure that AD gets the chance to prove himself coming out of the gate next season.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
              Anthony Davis is going to be, barring injury, a great one, franchise type player. His lucky team will assuredly accommodate their roster to insure that AD gets the chance to prove himself coming out of the gate next season.
              I tend to agree. I think it would be a very high risk strategy to trade the #1 pick. None of the other options appear to be sure-fire franchise type players. You don't trade a potential franchise big man because you have good PF and a highly-touted rookie. In basketball, it is much easier to build around franchise players than it is to build a winner piece by piece.

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                I tend to agree. I think it would be a very high risk strategy to trade the #1 pick. None of the other options appear to be sure-fire franchise type players. You don't trade a potential franchise big man because you have good PF and a highly-touted rookie. In basketball, it is much easier to build around franchise players than it is to build a winner piece by piece.
                Fully agree. When was the last time a consensus first overall pick was traded? It is also evaluated I hear that the difference in value, potential and skill between AD and the next tier is quite substantial. You just dont trade someone like him. And he seems to be a good level headed kid to boot. You build around him and not regret forever what might have been. I dont think BC has the stones to do a deal for him if we were to win the lottery.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                  Fully agree. When was the last time a consensus first overall pick was traded?
                  Chris Webber was the last one I remember, and it seemed to work out well for Orlando.

I'm not necessarily advocating that we trade the pick, just presenting some food for thought.

Comment

• Not only is Davis the best player but his game has been improving all season as he get used to his extra height from the last 2 years. He went from off the radar in high school to one of the top recruits to the obvious number one pick in short order.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Chris Webber was the last one I remember, and it seemed to work out well for Orlando.

I'm not necessarily advocating that we trade the pick, just presenting some food for thought.
                      But don't forget who they drafted the year before.

Comment

• Wait, I'm not that familiar with draft lottery, do Raptors have a chance at Davis? If yes, what is it?

Comment

• omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
                          Wait, I'm not that familiar with draft lottery, do Raptors have a chance at Davis? If yes, what is it?
                          Sometime in May a lottery will be held to determine the top 3 picks in the draft. After the top 3 picks are determined, the remaining picks (4 through 14) are given based on record.

Considering Davis will be #1, here are the chances the Raps get him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery#Process

But remember, it is not until the selection process is determined in May do the chances become definite.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Sometime in May a lottery will be held to determine the top 3 picks in the draft. After the top 3 picks are determined, the remaining picks (4 through 14) are given based on record.

Considering Davis will be #1, here are the chances the Raps get him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery#Process

But remember, it is not until the selection process is determined in May do the chances become definite.
                            I see. By the looks of it, it doesn't seem like Raptors will get to gamble for the 1st pick. Washington, Charlotte & New Orleans pretty much have it locked now that Bargs is back.

Comment

• If the draft were tomorrow...

The Raptors have successfully tanked enough to be 4th last in the league. I have a hunch that the Raps will pick up either the 2nd or 3rd pick (after we got shat on with the 5th pick last year) but assuming that the odds hold up, which rarely happens, we'll be getting the 4th overall pick.

Let's say that Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, and Thomas Robinson go 1,2,3. Who do you pick? Who do you pick if Harrison Barnes goes 3rd?

Comment

• omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
                                I see. By the looks of it, it doesn't seem like Raptors will get to gamble for the 1st pick. Washington, Charlotte & New Orleans pretty much have it locked now that Bargs is back.
                                The top 3 picks are based on lottery. The worst team only has 25% chance of winning.

Last year is a perfect example: The Clippers (which sent pick to Cleveland) were 8th best odds of winning and they did. The Nets (which sent pick to Utah) had 6th best odds of winning ended up picking 3rd.

Here is a good game to get an idea of who can select where:

http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2012/mockdraft

Comment

Working...
                                X