Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime wrote: View Post
    Everyone needs to calm the **** down.

Yes, the pick was a reach but the player we got back was talented enough to make it worth it. I recall people calling Paul George a reach back in 2010 too but look how well he turned out.

For you lot who thought trading down was a option, you don't know jack about the NBA. You can't just compare this to the NHL where trading down is easy as pie--look at what the Cavs had to give up for the #17.
    +1

Especially until the next 2 weeks pass.

Comment

• CNNSI's 1st round draft analysis: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...&sct=hp_t11_a1

The Raptors had their pick of shooting guards, from UConn's Jeremy Lamb to Duke's Austin Rivers to Ross. In the Washington product, Toronto gets a player with phenomenal range, size and top-tier athleticism. After improving defensively in coach Dwane Casey's first season, the Raptors were hyper-focused on adding scoring. Ross will push DeMar DeRozan to speed up his learning curve.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        I find the quote from BC in the last paragraph of TSN's draft article to be quite telling... this weekend and into early next week should be quite interesting.

LINK: http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=399479

I can't help but think this kind of talk refers to high priced veteran wings (ie: Gay, Iguodala, Deng, etc..).
        I hope you're right because since the Bosh TPE it seems like BC has done a great job of hyping Toronto fans up to the idea that he's going to make moves, but has yet to make a move. I would have preferred if he made his move in the draft and try to build the team through lottery picks instead of through free agency as I think we're still atleast a season or two away from being ready to take the "next step".

Still, seeing Washington take that big step forward has got me envious. They are a playoff team now with a pretty slick line up:
        PG Wall
        SG Beal
        SF Ariza
        PF Nene
        C Okafur

They need a new coach, but on paper that is a really good team. Sigh

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          Still, seeing Washington take that big step forward has got me envious. They are a playoff team now with a pretty slick line up:
          PG Wall
          SG Beal
          SF Ariza
          PF Nene
          C Okafur

You think that's good? Take a look at GSW:
          Curry/Thompson/Barnes/Lee/Bogut

That's at least a 50 win team on paper.

Well, until Curry and Bogut blow their ankles 10 games into the season.

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
            You think that's good? Take a look at GSW:
            Curry/Thompson/Barnes/Lee/Bogut

That's at least a 50 win team on paper.

Well, until Curry and Bogut blow their ankles 10 games into the season.
            I'm not sure anyone on that Golden State team can get to the basket

Comment

• GS have a nice starting five but they don't really have any depth outside of SF, and i don't see Curry or Bogut playing a full season.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Just realizing how huge GSW's inside-outside game is with that starting line-up. 2 above average to great post-players and 3 outside threats.

Comment

• My thoughts

I went to bed early last night, disappointed in the evenings results
                  I was highly hyped for last evening mainly from the chatter on this board.

This morning upon reflection I have no issues with last evening. It was fun to think about the possibilities that could happen. But reality........ I find it easy to believe there was nothing else there for us last night and am glad no move was forced.

At the end of season press conference both BC and DC indicated we wanted to add shooters and to pick up the pace. Ross fits that bill. Was there anyone drafted after eight who fit that mold better?

If Acie is a younger Reggie bring him on. I loved Reggie's game. This would be consistent with Casey's intentions to have the Raptors be a tough team to play against.

An overseas big man? Sure. There is no room for another rookie on this team. We now have possibly three. Big men take longer to develop. They are harder to find. It is a good idea to have one in Europe.

I will allow myself to get hyped for the next two days. Bring on the trade rumors.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    I hope you're right because since the Bosh TPE it seems like BC has done a great job of hyping Toronto fans up to the idea that he's going to make moves, but has yet to make a move. I would have preferred if he made his move in the draft and try to build the team through lottery picks instead of through free agency as I think we're still atleast a season or two away from being ready to take the "next step".

PG Wall
                    SG Beal
                    SF Ariza
                    PF Nene
                    C Okafur

I LOVE the Wall and Beal combination in the backcourt, and Nene is a pretty good player. Okafor and Ariza are on the decline and won't be there more than a couple seasons. Although they will greatly improve the culture and character of the organization, which was desperately needed, if I was a fan of theirs I would be complaining that acquiring them had just created the dreaded "treadmill" conundrum. They are a team that will compete for the playoffs for the next 2 years and likely wind up missing the playoffs or getting destroyed in the 1st round, while adding a #13-17 pick. Houston has been doing the same thing since Yao got injured and they've been stuck in the middle of the pack for years - and look how that turned out - a gutted roster and a team full of 2nd/3rd tier draft picks.

I'd rather do a complete rebuild, the way teams like Oklahoma have done and how Toronto is finaly going about it (yes the lottery luck has been terrible, but the strategy has been solid). Just think how much better Washington would be long-term if they had kept Lewis' contract and either traded it at the deadline or let it expire, while having at least one more terrible season that resulted in a top-8 pick in next year's draft being added to the core of Wall, Beal and Vesseley?

Comment

• KingMaxwell47 wrote: View Post
                      Just realizing how huge GSW's inside-outside game is with that starting line-up. 2 above average to great post-players and 3 outside threats.
                      Lee isn't really much of a post player
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                        Lee isn't really much of a post player
                        This might be true. I haven't seen much of him in GS. He definitely was in New York though.

Comment

• Give me Washington's starting 5 over Golden States any day of the week. I don't see GS as a 50 win team with that roster. Curry and Bogut are huge question marks to stay healthy, and Lee is a rich mans Kris Humphries.

Nene is a qualit posty player and has a few good years of play in his prime and Okafor can still get you close to 10, 10 with a block shot. He's a solid defender. I know that Nene is just in the second year of his contract, but isn't Okafor's contract coming off the books sooner than later? Also Washington has some good players coming off the bench. I think they can make some noise in the East and bulid on what they have going forward.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            The draft lesson here is that we suck at tanking. If only we lost to Boston or Atlanta.... damn Casey!
                            Yeah! Those two games killed us, but don't blame Casey. If I remember correctly, Boston and Atlanta's level of compete was non-existent those two nights. I kept waiting for them to actually start playing hard a little bit, but they never did. They'd already clinched a playoff berth and their seeding was pretty much set.

I like the pick. It's just a shame that the five perimeter players that we would have chosen ahead of Ross were gone by the time the 8th pick rolled around. I don't think I've seen so many bigs fall in the draft like that before (Drummond, Sullinger, Jones, etc.). If just one had been picked earlier.

Comment

• There is one thing that Quincy Acy does better that Reggie Evans (the player he's most compared to), and that's free throws. Acy shot 78% this year and he took 4.6 free throws a game. Our big man rotation is pretty deep now.
                              Last edited by Michel G; Fri Jun 29, 2012, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• I'm actually digging Ross over Barnes
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X