No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the surface, Jones may seem like the most viable candidate to bloom into a star. From a physical and athletic standpoint, Kentucky’s Anthony Davis is the only player in the class more gifted. At 6’11 he moves with the swiftness and agility of a guard. He’s a special kind of talent who can do things that few players at his size can do.

Yet, you never hear Jones talked about in the same light as Davis, because he rarely makes the most of his incredible set of tools.

ESPN’s Jason King recently did a revealing feature on Jones that chronicled his tumultuous history and shed some light on the human being behind the frequent criticism of which he’s been the subject.

It is going to be very interesting to see what kind of affect being able to financially take care of his family has on Jones. Maybe then he’ll feel less pressured, play more freely and energized.

Almost as important as anything, Jones needs to develop thick skin and become deaf to the criticism from the outside world. No matter how good you play, you’re still going to have detractors – look no further than Miami HEAT forward LeBron James and Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant for prime examples of that. He has to worry about pleasing one person: his head coach.

Jones’ future head coach will be dealt the task of keeping him motivated and active. It’s when Jones is engaged and involved on the court that he’s at his best. When he gets caught up in watching and being a spectator, he’s a non-factor who might as well buy a ticket.

Jones’ coach will also have to figure out which position he’s best suited to play full-time. While he can play any position 3-5, he’s probably going to end up settling in at power forward. That’s where he holds the most potential to create mismatches because he can blow by bigger guys and post up smaller ones. With his length, quickness and athleticism he should be able to defend the position just fine as well.

The saying that you cannot judge a draft until three years after it has occurred was coined because of guys like Jones who are oozing in potential but have yet to put everything together. He should expect to get heavily evaluated off of the court in interviews as teams try to grasp an understanding of his mental makeup. Interviews could affect his stock as much as anything.

Jones is going to require some patience because he is not ready to do anything in the NBA right now other than play limited minutes, get garbage buckets and score in transition. If the switch flips, though, there won’t be an area in the game he doesn’t impact.
    Just a interest article

http://www.hoopsworld.com/are-rivers...ague-nba-ready
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Said many times I am a Beal guy, I would not be heavily disappointed in Barnes. Beyond that, like Mack I would like Kendall Marshall, with a later pick though.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Would be the best fit for this team. At 7 he would be a steal.
        It does feel like he is destined to be a Raptors given the mock drafts at this time.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Donte Greene.
          In other words, one very ordinary player.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            It does feel like he is destined to be a Raptors given the mock drafts at this time.
            Not sure, looking at all the mocks around, it seems like we should be bracing ourselves for Damian Lillard.

I share the concerns about the shooting-guard-in-a-point-guard's body. But on the positive side the dude is pretty efficient. I guarantee he will be loved by the advanced stats crowd.

If the Raptors do end up picking at 7, then very likely MKG, Barnes and Beal will all be gone. So Lillard seems attractive, perhaps more so than Terrance or Perry Jones.

Farther down in the draft, I share the Intrigue with Jae Crowder, but also Will Barton and Scott Machado seem interesting too.

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
              Not sure, looking at all the mocks around, it seems like we should be bracing ourselves for Damian Lillard.

I share the concerns about the shooting-guard-in-a-point-guard's body. But on the positive side the dude is pretty efficient. I guarantee he will be loved by the advanced stats crowd.

If the Raptors do end up picking at 7, then very likely MKG, Barnes and Beal will all be gone. So Lillard seems attractive, perhaps more so than Terrance or Perry Jones.

Farther down in the draft, I share the Intrigue with Jae Crowder, but also Will Barton and Scott Machado seem interesting too.
              I like him cause he seems like he has great work ethic(Listen to 17 minutes point and on)

I'd like to know how much the 7th, 8th and 9th get paid. I would see this pick as a business move. Meaning BryCo not willing to offer QO to JB
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• ESPN "raptors and wizards needs"

I don't have insider, can anyone give the jist of what the article says?

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post

You've been playing the ESPN Lottery Simulator too much.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

I'd like to know how much the 7th, 8th and 9th get paid. I would see this pick as a business move. Meaning BryCo not willing to offer QO to JB
                    http://www.hoopsworld.com/2012-13-rookie-salary-scale

Pick Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 QO
                    1 $4,286,900 $4,479,800 $4,672,700 26.10% 30.00%
                    2 $3,835,600 $4,008,200 $4,180,800 26.20% 30.50%
                    3 $3,444,400 $3,599,400 $3,754,400 26.40% 31.20%
                    4 $3,105,500 $3,245,200 $3,385,000 26.50% 31.90%
                    5 $2,812,200 $2,938,700 $3,065,300 26.70% 32.60%
                    6 $2,554,200 $2,669,100 $2,784,100 26.80% 33.40%
                    7 $2,331,700 $2,436,600 $2,541,600 27.00% 34.10%
                    8 $2,136,100 $2,232,200 $2,328,300 27.20% 34.80%
                    9 $1,963,600 $2,052,000 $2,140,300 27.40% 35.50%

Comment

• What a scam that is. Insider, inside on what?

The same crap on non-insider except slightly more detailed.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• About two million dollars cheaper and two years younger. I still think that JB is the better player and would prefer him over a rookie playing at the toughest position in the league. I think that JB deserves his QO but, just in case he want to play hard ball for more.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• If we cannot draft any of the clear favorites we must think about trading down. Drafting someone like Lilliard makes no sense right now. We have the cap space to bring in a big time player. Package a 8-12 range pick + player to get a starter from a team loaded with talent and lacking cap space.

Why not look for talent in the second rounders if we cannot draft top 6? antonio davis, rondo, steph jackson, Gortat, Ginobili, Gasol, Monta , Mo, Scola, Varejao, Boozer, Okur, rashard lewis, arenas, therodman were all second rounders.

Comment

• The Toronto Raptors, believe it or not, had about as perfect a season as they could have hoped for, outside of becoming a serious contender, that is.

First and foremost, first-year coach Dwayne Casey proved to be a keeper, convincing his players to defend with better purpose and passion. Perhaps only the New York Knicks improved as much on defense from last season, and this improvement in Toronto will be a strong foundation moving forward.

Then they watched as their top pick from last June's draft, Jonas Valanciunas, proved to be the exciting prospect they had hoped for, as he played well last summer and through his current season in Europe. And all this happened while the Raptors kept losing games, assuring them of a very high draft pick in the 2012 draft. Indeed, this team obviously still has a lot of needs. But it looks like the Raptors should be able to fill an important spot no matter where they pick in the lottery come May 30. This is a team that is rapidly acquiring and developing talent.

Needs: Athleticism on the front line, perimeter shooters on the wings, guard depth

The obvious pick: Anthony Davis

Certainly this will happen if the Raptors somehow get the No. 1 pick. And yes, even though Davis would battle both Andrea Bargnani and Valanciunas for playing time, he would make a huge impact in Toronto, which fields a number of below-the-rim players inside. Coming off the bench, Davis would still get as much playing time as he'd need, and he fits well next to either of those two guys.

Kind of fits: Andre Drummond

The Raptors wisely chose Valanciunas last year knowing they would let him develop for a season overseas first. They could do the same thing with Drummond, perhaps using the D-League properly and letting Drummond build his skill set, confidence and overall basketball IQ there. It's possible he could develop into a good partner with Valanciunas, perhaps letting the Raps move off Bargnani. But developing two bigs at the same time is challenging. If not Drummond, Kansas' Thomas Robinson would add immediate help to their biggest need, with his great quickness for a guy that strong.

Bad fit: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Kidd-Gilchrist would give them much-needed athleticism and energy, but his poor perimeter shooting will not likely allow him to stretch defenses for some time, if ever. However, let's be clear: Kidd-Gilchrist would not be a disastrous pick. It's just that picking so high, the Raptors will have better choices available.

Perfect fit: Bradley Beal, Thomas Robinson

DeMar DeRozan is a good NBA scorer, but his lack of perimeter shooting and suspect defense warrants looking into a replacement, if it makes sense. It makes sense with Beal, who projects as an outstanding shooter and a very good scorer. He should become a better player than DeRozan in almost every other facet of the game. In fact, adding Beal would allow the Raptors to bring DeRozan off the bench, where he could end up being an excellent sixth man while still being a primary scorer. Both guys could even finish games together since Beal will be able to defend many small forwards thanks to his length and strength. Toronto can't go wrong with Robinson, either, as he would fill a huge need for athleticism on the front line with the perfect game for Casey -- tough and energetic and willing to fight and defend. Robinson would play major minutes as a rookie and improve the Raptors in his first season.

Comment

• rondo was not a second rounder
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• A lot of decisions. If we end up picking 1-3, we draft BPA. Between 3-7 or so, we draft/trade down or up. And so on and so on. I think once we know where we are picking, and analyze the different mocks and other team needs, all we can hope for is Anthony Davis.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X