2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Based on Wroten's ball-hoggery, Ross could be a diamond in the rough playing with a legit PG (be it Calderon or Nash).
    That's a really good point. Hadn't thought of that.

I wonder how different the numbers would be if Barnes and Ross had traded point guards (or teams).

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
      Ha Ha. They've got everyone picking after the Raptors getting a worse grade for their pick until you reach pick number 14.
      What I find funny about these grades every year is that they give grades like B+ to the Beal pick at third. In my view every pick should have an option that would be an A given the remaining draft pool. If Beal was a B+, I'd love to know who was better. Same for the Raptors. If every pick below them sucked until #14, what could the Raps have done to get a better grade?

Comment

• Colangelo was just on the fan 590 hyping up DeRozan bigtime. Ross isn't going anywhere, but Demar probably will. Demar was asked about playing the 3 last night and wasn't exactly happy about it, but he said he'd do it.
        If Demar is dealt, the Ross pick makes sense. If not, it's just a head scratcher.

Comment

• Do we know what Memphis' opinion of Derozan is?

C'mon Rudy Gay!!!

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Do we know what Memphis' opinion of Derozan is?

C'mon Rudy Gay!!!
            DeRozan & Davis & JJ & 2013 1st round pick (& about $8M cap savings ) for Gay... seems like it would be a fair deal, provided Memphis actually wanted to trade him.

Comment

• All I can say is that BC has much redeeming to do this summer or I am off his wagon. Cant fault him for the picks made ahead of us but that he could not/would not pull off something ahead of or during the draft is very disappointing. I am getting less convinced about his deal making the last while...eg that he let Drummond go instead of picking and not having Houston or even Boston bite on him I cannot understand.

Comment

• I find the quote from BC in the last paragraph of TSN's draft article to be quite telling... this weekend and into early next week should be quite interesting.

"Within the next 24 to 48 hours we're going to be exploring some conversations that we've been having as the dust settles on the draft," Colangelo said. "Team needs become very apparent but we are still armed with that (salary) cap flexibility that we have."
                LINK: http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=399479

I can't help but think this kind of talk refers to high priced veteran wings (ie: Gay, Iguodala, Deng, etc..).

Comment

• I wonder if Barnes and Lillard had been available if BC would have taken them? Maybe he thinks Ross is that good?

I can't say that I am overly excited with the pick. But I don't think that it's a bad pick. Maybe there were no dancing partners for BC.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I find the quote from BC in the last paragraph of TSN's draft article to be quite telling... this weekend and into early next week should be quite interesting.

LINK: http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=399479

I can't help but think this kind of talk refers to high priced veteran wings (ie: Gay, Iguodala, Deng, etc..).
                    Well maybe you can scratch Deng of that list, according to this ESPN article: http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story...ping-luol-deng

Comment

• Here is my reaction after trying to overcome the shock of draft night...

Ross at 8 was a reach, but I'm very happy that he didn't draft Rivers.

With all the trade chatter, the only team that made any kind of move was Houston. In my opinion those trades didn't really do anything for them either. They moved up from 14 to 12, and got #18 from Minny... so they now added 3 rookies to their squad, where no name blows you over (Lamb, White, TJones). I'm sure Bryan was looking at moving the pick.. but nobody else traded their pick.. it was probably a lot harder to move then us fans probably expected.

Ross is going to be a good pick. He has just as much potential as Waiters, and I'm glad he didn't reach for a SF once Barnes/MKG were gone. He went for BPA which I'm cool with. Lamb must have seriously screwed up that workout for Ross to be rated higher than him.

The draft lesson here is that we suck at tanking. If only we lost to Boston or Atlanta.... damn Casey!

Quincy Acy is described as Reggie Evans 2.0. I love that pick. I love having a big on the team that's nasty. I'm a huge fan of guys that tear it up in the paint on defense.. and I think Acy will provide that. Davis/Amir are okay but are not tenacious.. I love a good blue collar player, and I think Acy is going to be great. Acy can also play the 3.. so a lineup of JV/Bargs/Acy could work.

I am extremely disappointed that we did not get Machado. I wonder what happened to him? There weren't many PG's in the draft, but he was considered one of the best in the second round. BC must have made his mind up that he didn't want to use his cap space on another player so he went with a Euro stash. I guess that's alright, but the 'point guard of the future' is going to be a pressing issue through out the year.

Overall I give BC's draft grade a B-. Things could have played out a bit better (drafting Drummond, and trading him; moving down for Ross, etc).. but I think he did a decent job.

The big test now is what he does in the next month. Let's all pray that he doesn't screw the pooch here.

Comment

• From CNNSI:

Philadelphia -- At No. 15 the Sixers took St. John's forward Maurice Harkless, a raw but extremely gifted small forward. Then the Sixers cut a deal with Miami to acquire Mississippi State big man Arnett Moultrie, a double-double machine with the Bulldogs who can defend and hit the offensive glass. The decision to draft Harkless likely spells the end for Andre Iguodala, who could be moved for a shooter the Sixers sorely still need.

I'll give Matt credit, as he was the first conspiracy theorist on board last night, after the Ross & Harkless picks, so this article seems to only add fuel to the fire, IMO. Iguodala on the way out and a BC favourite (Harkless) on board, while the Raptors have cap space and just happened to draft a shooter (Ross)? Coincidence? Could it essentially become a #8 (Ross) & Davis & JJ (& $9.5M cap savings) --> #13 (Harkless) & Iguodala deal, if it's not just coincidence...

Comment

• Everyone needs to calm the **** down.

Yes, the pick was a reach but the player we got back was talented enough to make it worth it. I recall people calling Paul George a reach back in 2010 too but look how well he turned out.

For you lot who thought trading down was a option, you don't know jack about the NBA. You can't just compare this to the NHL where trading down is easy as pie--look at what the Cavs had to give up for the #17.

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
                            Everyone needs to calm the **** down.

Yes, the pick was a reach but the player we got back was talented enough to make it worth it. I recall people calling Paul George a reach back in 2010 too but look how well he turned out.

For you lot who thought trading down was a option, you don't know jack about the NBA. You can't just compare this to the NHL where trading down is easy as pie--look at what the Cavs had to give up for the #17.
                            The Cavs traded up. But I agree, a lot easier said than done.

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
                              Everyone needs to calm the **** down.

I agree that BC probably tried to trade down, but didn't find a deal he liked. However, your Cleveland/Dallas example actually runs counter to that argument, as Toronto would have been playing the 'Dallas' part of the transaction - since Dallas was the team trading down. Dallas picked up #33 & #34, in exchange for dropping 7 spots (from #17 to #24). I assume that Houston was only offering #16 or #18, and BC just felt that Ross could be gone by then.

Comment

• Yes, but the original offer was the three picks in exchange for the #17.

Regardless of how Zeller turns out (whether he's this year's Aldrich or B.Lopez), he's not worth 3 quality players by himself. They added Kelenna Azubuike later on though, which evens the deal out somewhat.

Comment

Working...
                                X