X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griner from Baylor.

Comment

• koncept wrote: View Post
      Can someone with ESPN insider post the mock draft from there? They have Barnes as 8 in the top 10 as well.
      i can't find the one you're talking about, mind linking to it and i'll post it?
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Yup, I'm starting to come to terms with the idea that we fall out of the top 5....meaning the last 5 months have been a complete waste of time.
        Given the last 11 years of history, a bottom 3 finish is nothing to get excited about in hopes of a top 3 pick:

Year
        bottom 3 teams in order of finish
        top 5 picks in the draft

CHI, GSW, WSH
        WSH, LAC, ATL

CHI & GSW (tie), MEM
        HOU, CHI, GSW

CLE & DEN (tie), TOR
        CLE, DET, DEN

ORL, CHI, WSH
        ORL, CHA (expansion), CHI

ATL, NOH, CHA
        MIL, ATL, UTA

POR, NYK, ATL
        TOR, CHI, CHA

MEM, BOS, MIL
        POR, SEA, ATL

MIA, SEA, MEM
        CHI, MIA, MIN

SAC, WSH & LAC (tie)
        LAC, MEM, OKC

NJ, MIN, SAC
        WSH, PHI, NJ

MIN, CLE, TOR
        CLE (from LAC), MIN, UTA

I know what the 'odds' in the draft are but over the last 11 drafts, the 'odds' favour teams outside the bottom three ending up in the top 3 for the draft.

Of the 33 teams who 'should' have picked in the top 3, only 11 did in the last 11 years.

If you take away 2002, 2003, and 2004 then of the 24 teams who should have picked in the top 3, only 5 did in the remaining 8 drafts.

So what is my point? I can't wait until May 30th.

With regards to the Raptors, I don't mind them winning games right now if they could win convincingly over a sh!t team like Charlotte. Seriously, that was some of the worst NBA ball I have ever seen.

Comment

I would take Mayo over DeRozan in a heartbeat. I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
          why?

Comment

I would take Mayo over DeRozan in a heartbeat. I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
            Compare their second season stats. They are almost exactly the same and demar is 2 years younger and plays 3 mins less each game. Also Mayo lost his starting job to tony allen. DeRozan has much more upside

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Given the last 11 years of history, a bottom 3 finish is nothing to get excited about in hopes of a top 3 pick:

Year
              bottom 3 teams in order of finish
              top 5 picks in the draft

CHI, GSW, WSH
              WSH, LAC, ATL

CHI & GSW (tie), MEM
              HOU, CHI, GSW

CLE & DEN (tie), TOR
              CLE, DET, DEN

ORL, CHI, WSH
              ORL, CHA (expansion), CHI

ATL, NOH, CHA
              MIL, ATL, UTA

POR, NYK, ATL
              TOR, CHI, CHA

MEM, BOS, MIL
              POR, SEA, ATL

MIA, SEA, MEM
              CHI, MIA, MIN

SAC, WSH & LAC (tie)
              LAC, MEM, OKC

NJ, MIN, SAC
              WSH, PHI, NJ

MIN, CLE, TOR
              CLE (from LAC), MIN, UTA

I know what the 'odds' in the draft are but over the last 11 drafts, the 'odds' favour teams outside the bottom three ending up in the top 3 for the draft.

Of the 33 teams who 'should' have picked in the top 3, only 11 did in the last 11 years.

If you take away 2002, 2003, and 2004 then of the 24 teams who should have picked in the top 3, only 5 did in the remaining 8 drafts.

So what is my point? I can't wait until May 30th.

With regards to the Raptors, I don't mind them winning games right now if they could win convincingly over a sh!t team like Charlotte. Seriously, that was some of the worst NBA ball I have ever seen.
              I second the motion to move the calendar forward to May 30th.

I still think the Raptors finish no worse than 5th in the lottery standings. We are in a group that has 2 more wins than Cleveland (currently 4th worst), but Cleveland would have played 4 less games than us (assuming we lose tonight against Philly). I think it will come down to Toronto, New Jersey and Sacramento fighting for #5-7.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                why?
                In a nutshell, Mayo is quicker, has deeper range, and can create his own shot with ease. The latter is the most important aspect (IMO) of wing play at the NBA level.

Anytime DeRozan gets the ball and he doesn't shoot, the possession is basically killed. He usually has no choice but to give up the ball, and pray that Calderon has enough time to run a last-second PNR.

Considering ball-handling (and iso-moves) are usually skills learned as a toddler, I'm not going to hold out hope that DeRozan develops them in his 4th season.

Comment

• if you watched the game last night DeRozan can score when he wants to and he's starting to realize that. He doesn't have an fancy dribbles moves but he can score and get to the line. After last nights game i even heard Dwane Casey call him a "young star"

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                    I agree that PJ3 is likely to rise somewhat, as long as he doesn't come across like a zombie during interviews, etc.

The same will hold true for Drummond though, and I think he will be very impressive. I still think that Colangelo will actually thing for some time if both Barnes and Drummond are on the board when the Raptors pick, and AD, MKG and BB are gone.
                    Drummond will be #2 pick. His floor is the 5th pick

I could she BryCo thinking hard over Harrison Barnes and Pj3
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

if you watched the game last night DeRozan can score when he wants to and he's starting to realize that. He doesn't have an fancy dribbles moves but he can score and get to the line. After last nights game i even heard Dwane Casey call him a "young star"
                      I did watch last night's game (versus the worst team in the universe), but I've also watched DeRozan's previous 210 games, which paints a pretty accurate picture of what he can, and cannot do.

When was the last time we saw DeRozan break his man off the dribble on an wing isolation play? I'm going to say never.

To get his looks, DeRozan needs to come off screens, or be on the fastbreak.

The only successfull shooting guard without 1-on-1 skills I can remember is Richard Hamilton (who was much better at moving off the ball, and was a much more consistent shooter).

Comment

Compare their second season stats. They are almost exactly the same and demar is 2 years younger and plays 3 mins less each game. Also Mayo lost his starting job to tony allen. DeRozan has much more upside
                        First, I would take Mayo for DeRozan straight-up and be giddy about it the whole time! Second, Mayo didn't really lose his starting job, they wanted to have a defensive stopper in the starting unit and provide more balanced scoring (Gay, Gasol and Randolph already score on the 1st unit). Mayo is their super 6th man and is averaging just 0.1 less MPG than Allen.

More importantly, Mayo does everything well that we all wish DeRozan would do better and more consistently - scoring (both driving and much better 3pt shooting), defense and all around play (ie: rebounds, assists and steals). Mayo also has the ability to takeover any given game and be his team's go to guy, whereas DeRozan seems to shy away from that role more often than not. Mayo has that 'killer instinct' look in his eyes, whereas DeRozan has earned the nickname 'bambi' for the look that seems to be in his eyes more often than not.

Pure stats comparison (looking at career and this season):
                        Shooting: both players are in the 40-45% range shooting from the floor
                        3pt Shooting: Mayo is in the 35-40% range, DeRozan is in the 20-25% range (under 20% career)
                        Rebounds: both players average 3+ RPG
                        Assists: Mayo averages around 2.5 APG, DeRozan averages around 1.5 APG

Mayo is also less than 2 years older than DeRozan, so age/development/ceiling isn't really an issue for consideration.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          First, I would take Mayo for DeRozan straight-up and be giddy about it the whole time! Second, Mayo didn't really lose his starting job, they wanted to have a defensive stopper in the starting unit and provide more balanced scoring (Gay, Gasol and Randolph already score on the 1st unit). Mayo is their super 6th man and is averaging just 0.1 less MPG than Allen.

More importantly, Mayo does everything well that we all wish DeRozan would do better and more consistently - scoring (both driving and much better 3pt shooting), defense and all around play (ie: rebounds, assists and steals). Mayo also has the ability to takeover any given game and be his team's go to guy, whereas DeRozan seems to shy away from that role more often than not. Mayo has that 'killer instinct' look in his eyes, whereas DeRozan has earned the nickname 'bambi' for the look that seems to be in his eyes more often than not.

Pure stats comparison:
                          Shooting: both players are in the 40-45% range shooting from the floor
                          3pt Shooting: Mayo is in the 35-40% range, DeRozan is in the 20-25% range (under 20% career)
                          Rebounds: both players average 3+ RPG
                          Assists: Mayo averages around 2.5 APG, DeRozan averages around 1.5 APG

Mayo is also less than 2 years older than DeRozan, so age/development/ceiling isn't really an issue for consideration.
                          mayo is 24 demar is 22 i'd say thats 2 years

Comment

Mayo is November 87, DeRozan is August 89. Less than 2 full years is all I meant, as opposed to closer to 3 years. I was just pointing out that it's not as though we're comparing a 27 year old with a 22 year old.

Comment

Considering Mayo should have a good 6+ years left in his career (sparing injuries), the 2 year age difference is insignificant.

Comment

• Props man you need to sit this one out
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X