2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drummond has started the last 2 games and is averaging:

12.5pts, 9.5reb, 0ast, 1.5stl, 5blk, 1.5 to on 11-17FG (65%) and 3-7FT (43%).

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Drummond has started the last 2 games and is averaging:

12.5pts, 9.5reb, 0ast, 1.5stl, 5blk, 1.5 to on 11-17FG (65%) and 3-7FT (43%).
      Yeah I think Drummond's year is going to be tough to evaluate with Napier and Lamb jacking up all of the shots. His numbers are going to yo-yo a lot since his offence basically seems to come from second chance points and such. If he can keep putting up good rebound and block numbers though (and start looking less lost and soft on D), he'll get consideration for #1 overall.

Especially once we get to the combine and scouts start to drool over those numbers.

Comment

• Lark Benson wrote: View Post
        Yeah I think Drummond's year is going to be tough to evaluate with Napier and Lamb jacking up all of the shots. His numbers are going to yo-yo a lot since his offence basically seems to come from second chance points and such. If he can keep putting up good rebound and block numbers though (and start looking less lost and soft on D), he'll get consideration for #1 overall.

Especially once we get to the combine and scouts start to drool over those numbers.
        Looking at the whole season I'd agree.

Today though Napier was the chucker with shooting of 8-18 (AND 6 TURNOVERS!). Lamb was extremely efficient today going 7/9 fg, 3/5 3pt, and 2/2 ft for 19 points (he had 4 turnovers though).

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          Not at all meant as a slight against Davis, but JV is VERY tenatious when it comes to getting his rebounds, and he's gets upset when he doesn't get them. I don't really see that in Davis, yet. Or at least to same extent as I've seen in JV.
          Mind you, I've watched far more of JV than I have of Davis.

In 9 games against Amateurs is his own age group (closest thing to NCAA you can find), JV pulled down 14 rebounds a game. (15 against the Americans)
          Thats dominant.

Davis is just pretty good at this point, pulling down only 7.4 per game, against so-so competition.
          JUst thought I'd add to my argument. In 5 games on his current team, Valanciunas is grabbing 5.6 rpg in 25 mpg. That's fewer rebounds per minute than Davis is averaging at Kentucky. Now, I'm not suggesting Davis is a better rebounder, but just pointing out that stats can be deceiving when trying to compare players in very different leagues and situations.

On a side note, I read this on the main page...
          Quick Jonas update. In five league games, he is shooting 75% from the field, and 91% from the line. I know what you’re thinking, those percentages are high because he’s only played a few games. But wait, he’s 27/36 from the field, and 30/33 from the line. That FT percentage is Calderonesque!
          I'd say we can all be happy about that.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• And now for some not good new...
            Uh-oh RT @bylinerp: #UNC's Harrison Barnes just left the locker room (and arena) with the help of crutches.
            From Chad Ford on Twitter
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• A shortened schedule with no time for much of a camp and a new head coach, this season has the potential to either shock everyone or be a total stinker. Knowing how this usually goes for the Raptors they'll stumble out of the gate and then get it somewhat together for the home stretch of games, neither allowing them to make the playoffs nor enabling them with a real shot at the top pick. That's Raptors basketball baby.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                JUst thought I'd add to my argument. In 5 games on his current team, Valanciunas is grabbing 5.6 rpg in 25 mpg. That's fewer rebounds per minute than Davis is averaging at Kentucky. Now, I'm not suggesting Davis is a better rebounder, but just pointing out that stats can be deceiving when trying to compare players in very different leagues and situations.
                Yes, but as I point out, I'm using the FIBA U19 tournament as my comparison, as that is more indicative of the competition Davis is facing on a daily basis.

Using stats from JVs current crop of games isn't really fair, as those stats are being achieved against men much older/stronger/experienced than him. Unlike Davis. In the U19 tournament, the experience/age was capped at a certain point. As is the NCAA.

As I also pointed out, in a game against ALL NCAA prospects (and the best of the best at that) JV pulled down 15 rebounds and put up 30 points. Again, thats dominant by any comparison, against players around his own age and experience level.

Davis hasn't really been dominant in either of those aspects on the court. (His best rebounding effort has been 12 against the "Portland Pilots". Not exactly Top Notch competition.)
                He has, however, been dominant from a Shot Blocking stand point, which JV was also in the U19, but not to the same extent.
                Last edited by Joey; Sun Nov 27, 2011, 04:21 AM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  Yes, but as I point out, I'm using the FIBA U19 tournament as my comparison, as that is more indicative of the competition Davis is facing on a daily basis.

Using stats from JVs current crop of games isn't really fair, as those stats are being achieved against men much older/stronger/experienced than him. Unlike Davis. In the U19 tournament, the experience/age was capped at a certain point. As is the NCAA.

As I also pointed out, in a game against ALL NCAA prospects (and the best of the best at that) JV pulled down 15 rebounds and put up 30 points. Again, thats dominant by any comparison, against players around his own age and experience level.

Davis hasn't really been dominant in either of those aspects on the court. (His best rebounding effort has been 12 against the "Portland Pilots". Not exactly Top Notch competition.)
                  He has, however, been dominant from a Shot Blocking stand point, which JV was also in the U19, but not to the same extent.
                  How much do you know about Valanciunas' level of competition? Do you really think that stats are really comparable? And do you really think they mean anything? It seems to me you're REALLY reaching when you're comparing these types of stats.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• The NBA and Players Association are discussing the formation of a committee to study the age minimum for the league’s draft with the possibility that no immediate changes to the “one-and-done” rule will come in the finalization of the new collective bargaining agreement, a league official told Yahoo! Sports.

“Only the agreement to have the committee may be part of the new CBA,” the source said. “I doubt it will have any affect on the 2012 draft.”

This could mean the current class of star college freshmen, including potential No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis of Kentucky, will have the opportunity to enter the 2012 draft.

Within the NBA, there’s a growing movement to create a rule similar to Major League Baseball, which requires college players to stay three years before becoming eligible for the draft. Some NBA teams have suggested a system in which the age minimum for the draft would be 20. Under that scenario, non-international players also would have to wait until two years after their senior high school class has graduated.

The proposed committee would look at a system that would permit high school players to declare for the draft, and if players aren’t selected, they can retain eligibility and still play college basketball. Those players would have to wait two years to re-enter the draft. And once any player enters college, he has to wait two years until he can play in the NBA.

Nevertheless, many league basketball executives are satisfied with the current “one-and-done rule.” NBA rules allow players to enter the NBA Developmental League directly out of high school.
                    Source: Woj, Yahoo!

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE make it so.

Comment

• Barnes leaves arena on crutches

LAS VEGAS -- What might be worse for top-ranked (for now) North Carolina than losing to UNLV 90-80 Saturday night?

Having All-American forward Harrison Barnes leave Orleans Arena on crutches.

The sophomore forward rolled his right ankle late in the first half scrambling on the sideline for a loose ball. He immediately flashed the tired signal and went to the bench. Although he waved off the trainer, he had a towel over his head for several minutes, before eventually returning to the game.

A team spokesman said the crutches were a precautionary measure, and Barnes will be re-evaluated when the team returns to Chapel Hill.

Barnes made only 6 of 16 shots during the Tar Heels' first loss of the season, finishing with 15 points and 5 rebounds.
                      http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...na-on-crutches

Comment

• He should have came out last draft. He might have went #1 if he had some good workouts. This is really bad luck. I hope he's ok.

Comment

• It is very early but what is your big board currently looking like?

Here is mine:

1) Anthony Davis
                          2) Harrison Barnes/Quincy Miller (tie)
                          4) Drummond
                          5) Kidd-Gilchrist

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            It is very early but what is your big board currently looking like?

Here is mine:

1) Anthony Davis
                            2) Harrison Barnes/Quincy Miller (tie)
                            4) Drummond
                            5) Kidd-Gilchrist
                            I put Miller behind Barnes, but otherwise I'd agree. I remember hyping Gilchrist last year, at this time, but wasn't it you who questioned his lack of a shot and playing beside DeRozan? Maybe not, but someone did. I love his tenacity on defense.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                              I put Miller behind Barnes, but otherwise I'd agree. I remember hyping Gilchrist last year, at this time, but wasn't it you who questioned his lack of a shot and playing beside DeRozan? Maybe not, but someone did. I love his tenacity on defense.
                              I did question his shot. It still looks awful with a hitch and a slow release but he is hitting .333 right now. If his character and work ethic are as strong as have been reported, I feel it would be a short term issue.

Comment

• Drummond

Here are Jim Calhoun's opening remarks, a stream of consciousness, following UConn's victory over Florida State:
                                "I thought Andre Drummond established the game early for us, which really, really helped us. I heard some foolish things about what he was and wasn't after a game or two. He does things that are special. The reason I say that, he got tired down the stretch. When we went up seven, eight, nine points, they started avoiding the middle a little bit, all set up by those early blocks by Andre. Those two freshmen [Boatright and Drummond] really gave us a spark. I thought Shabazz turned around what was not particularly a great game yesterday and obviously makes a big three. When you need him on the line, he's on the line.
                                Source: Courant.com

Comment

Working...
                                X