2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I put a lot of the quotes from this original SI.com story in post 3009.

As I said there, PJ3 makes me nervous reading his quotes. I really do question the passion he has for the game if he is only working hard now and realizing what he can do. As said in previous post:

These quotes make me think of Hasheem Thabeet to be honest: a really physically gifted player who did not truly have a drive or passion to be great at the game. It sounds, to me at least, as if just actually started to work hard on his game for the first time. I find it troubling that this hard work is coming at a time when he is in line for guaranteed money - and the higher he is selected, the more guaranteed he will see.

I am glad I am not the one who has to make the decision on him. He really seems like he could be a career maker or breaker for a GM.
    That does make sense but, Thabeet was playing strictly off his physical gifts. Perry Jones is skilled. I do agree with you if you pick him your either going to get praised or stoned.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• From a talent standpoint, I think he's (Perry Jones) got the most talent in the whole damn draft. Hands down. Talent wise, I feel he's better than Anthony Davis. But goodness, and I've said this hundreds of times - it's what's between the ears is what scares me and what prevents me from being on board with that selection. His aversion playing defense in game, and defering to teammates when you're supposed to be 'the man' speaks volumes about him. Maybe he needs to go a place where he won't be counted on to be that franchise's saviour is where he'll flourish the most. With that being said, a place like Golden State would be perfect for him.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        That does make sense but, Thabeet was playing strictly off his physical gifts. Perry Jones is skilled. I do agree with you if you pick him your either going to get praised or stoned.
        If you have no heart and a low basketball IQ, skills and physical gifts mean nothing. Those quotes make me question his desire and basketball intelligence.

However, he is a very intriguing prospect to say the least due to his physical ability and skills.

Comment

• Perry Jones III

Strengths:
          * Great run/jump athlete
          * Extremely long
          * Inside-outside offensive game
          * Can play several positions
          * Good rebounder
          * Solid shot blocker

Weaknesses:
          * Needs to get stronger
          * Some scouts question his motor
          * Still developing and learning the game

NBA projection:
          Jones is going to be a lottery pick. Some scouts are concerned whether Jones plays with enough passion and consistency. Others believe he was miscast in college — an opinion even the Baylor coaching staff shares — and is better suited to play shooting guard or small forward at the next level. No one denies that he’s got immense physical skills and rare gifts, including the ability to score inside or on the perimeter. Those kinds of players don’t show up often.

2011-12 Season:
          Jones averaged nearly 14 points and eight rebounds and led his team to the NCAA Tournament Elite Eight and still drew a raft of criticism because some people believe he doesn’t play hard all the time. Jones was just a second-team All-Big 12 pick by the media and third team by the league’s coaches, but he also played on a deep and balanced team and didn’t have to try and dominate games.

Key statistics:
          13.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.7 tpg, 0.8 spg, 0.6 bpg, 30.7 mpg, .500 FG, .696 FT, .303 3PT

Cool statistic:
          In games where Jones made a 3-pointer, he averaged 21 points and 12 rebounds. In games he didn’t make a 3, he averaged 12 points and six boards.

Reminds me of:
          Anthony Randolph

What Insiders Say:
          Baylor coach Scott Drew
          "The NBA projects him high. The reason they project him high is because they know at 25, you've got an NBA All-Star potentially, multiple year All-Star. But right now Perry's not anywhere where he will be because mentally, physically, he's a late bloomer in his game."

Baylor assistant coach Jerome Tang
          "The way he’s going to play and how they’re going to play him in the NBA is different than how we needed him to play or maybe even in hindsight of how we should have played him."

What Outsiders Say:
          Kentucky coach John Calipari
          "It takes big guys a little longer than it does [guards to develop]. He is a terrific player. I will say if you listen to all of it [criticism], it screws you up. Don't read it. Don't listen to it. Don't deal with it. Be your own cheerleader. And then, if you're working at it, he's fine."
          I find it interesting that even the Baylor coaching staff acknowledged that they used him wrong. Found that the cool statistic part interesting as well. The fact he plays much better after just making one three. I think he just feels more comfortable on the perimeter.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• It seems that there are two or three prospects who might wow a team selecting very high (above the Raptors), which would shake up the lottery and shake loose a desirable prospect for the Raptors. For example, if Lamb and PJ3 both jumped up into the top 7, Barnes or Beal might actually be available. I think that there is enough unpredictability in the draft this year that it might be wise to hang onto #8 until draft day and see what falls out before looking to trade.

Comment

• I like Waiters as a sixth man. Dude is just a bulldog who can come off the bench guns blazing.
              I like Lillard as our Pg of the future. Its become a PG driven league and i love the dude.
              I like Harkless as a developmental player who can come in and defend/hit open shots right away. Ive read a few sources saying Harkless will probably be one of the top 5 players 3 or 4 years down the road. For now though, he's already a nba quality defender and thats what we need a lot of.
              I like Ross and Lamb a lot too as starting SG's.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                It seems that there are two or three prospects who might wow a team selecting very high (above the Raptors), which would shake up the lottery and shake loose a desirable prospect for the Raptors. For example, if Lamb and PJ3 both jumped up into the top 7, Barnes or Beal might actually be available. I think that there is enough unpredictability in the draft this year that it might be wise to hang onto #8 until draft day and see what falls out before looking to trade.
                I agree right now I could really see Beal falling to us. I've heard that Cavs are really interested with Barnes and Lamb. If Beal doesn't go 4th I don't see Kings(too many guards), Blazers(really need a PG) and Warriors(really high on Klay Thompson) picking him up. Even though I would prefer Lamb over Beal.

No. 4: Cleveland Cavaliers
                Jeremy Lamb, Connecticut Huskies
                Put Lamb in the backcourt with defending rookie of the year Kyrie Irving and the Cavaliers have solved a major problem for the next decade. Lamb's positional size, scoring ability and high ceiling make him a great fit for a rebuilding franchise.

While Lamb, who is younger than Irving, can certainly improve his strength, the notion that he is a soft player is foolish.

He showed his toughness in the NCAA tournament his freshman season. Despite Kemba Walker's brilliance all season, there would have been no NCAA title for the Huskies in 2011 without Lamb's heroics. His clutch shooting bailed the Huskies out even when Walker went ice cold in games against Arizona and Butler.

This season, on a chaotic Huskies team, Lamb averaged 17 points per game. And while he struggled at times with his consistency from 3-point range, he shot a blistering 60 percent inside the arc. He learned to make plays for himself off the dribble this season and his movement without the ball has always been Ray Allen-like.

Right now, Florida's Bradley Beal is the direction in which the herd is being pulled, and he is certainly a lottery pick. But if it were up to me, I'd take Lamb. In a draft full of questions, outside of Davis, the Cavs' decision about who they should partner Irving with could have an impact on the team for a decade. I think Lamb will be a star.
                http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/...top-draft-fits

• The Cavaliers were really hoping to get either Kidd-Gilchrist or Beal from this draft. Given our current mock, both players are off the board. We currently have the Cavs grabbing Barnes at No. 4. The Cavs had actually been hoping that Barnes would be in the draft last year and sources say they would have grabbed him at No. 4. Do they still love him after a disappointing sophomore season? Are they willing to roll the dice on Drummond instead? I hear Jeremy Lamb isn't out of the question here either.
                http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/...s-top-10-picks
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• i think it all depends on how well PJ3 does at our workout. It all depends on whether the Raptors front office and coaching staff like him and see that he can become a great player. If BC believes that he can be good and Dwane Casey is the right coach for him then i trust his judgement. I just don't want us passing on him and then another team to pick him and end up regretting it.

Comment

• He can do all he wants in his workout - when he doesn't play as hard and coasts through his games, it means that he's cheating his team. He's disrespecting his team. You don't decide just not to play in college and then decide to play in the pros. I seriously hope Colangelo stays far, far away from him. All that glitters isn't gold.

Comment

• I go for Barnes, Lamb, and Terrence Jones, in that order if they are available.

Though I would rather see us trade the pick.
                      "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• I think the raptors need to go with a PG in this draft. It's Calderon last year and it would be a good year of mentoring. The PG crop doesn't get any better next year. I don't care which one it is(Even though I favor Lillard). Who ever management feels comfortable about with id be find. This search for the PG of the future needs to end this summer!
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Via Twitter:

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider

Huge Hornets workout today in New Orleans: Rivers, Lamb, Ross, Zeller, Henson, Leonard, Moultrie, T. Jones all there http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...egin_work.html

Big workout today for those SG's. I'd love to be in that gym this afternoon!

Comment

• can't wait to read about this one
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Via Twitter:

Big workout today for those SG's. I'd love to be in that gym this afternoon!
                              Ditto

Comment

• I'll be excited about Perry Jones, high risk high potential player. Dwane Casey will push the guy to his level. If he can get under Bargnani to play better defense and rebound, he sure as hell can get under a young rookie.

I'm on the LAMBwagon otherwise, and Austin Rivers seems like a good fit to me.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X