2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    John Henson is in the top 10 - 15 on a lot of mock drafts. His game is similar to Ed Davis, but seems like he has a better motor. Anyone consider him and upgrade over Ed?
    John Henson would be an INSTANT upgrade over Ed Davis in my opinion.
    He has a WAY more polished offensive game, and as you said, his energy is the type thats contagious for the whole team.

I sooo want Kendall Marshall... on the Raptors.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
      We go MKG and Marshall this draft
      I'm down for this. Kendall Marshall has become my new #1.
      After seeing how brutal UNC was without him, its clear who made that team tick.

Not to mention he just received the Bob Cousy award for Top Point Guard in the Country yesterday.

"The Hall of Fame is proud to present one of college basketball's premier awards to Kendall Marshall from the University of North Carolina," said John L. Doleva, President and CEO of the Basketball Hall of Fame. "All season Kendall exemplified the type of leadership that Bob Cousy demonstrated throughout his Hall of Fame career, and we are honored to add him to the prestigious list of previous collegiate floor generals who elevated their teammates every time them stepped on the court." "We are privileged to honor Kendall Marshall for his tremendous season," said Ken Kaufman, Chairman of the Bob Cousy Award and former NABC President. "This young man was an outstanding point guard for the Tar Heels all year. We look forward to honoring Kendall in New Orleans on April 2nd."
      Source
      Last edited by Joey; Fri Mar 30, 2012, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

Not to mention he just received the Bob Cousy award for Top Point Guard in the Country yesterday.
        Nice little accolade to add to your pre-draft workout resume.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

Marshall, DeRozan, MKG - the defense would never have to leave the key! Opponents could do a box-and1 on Bargnani.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Marshall, DeRozan, MKG - the defense would never have to leave the key! Opponents could do a box-and1 on Bargnani.
            True, but it's unlikely they'd all be on the court at the same time.

I could see a starting lineup of JV, AB, MKG, DD and Calderon being quite balanced, especially if DD finally improves or is upgraded (ie: Batum, Mayo, Gay anybody?).

The second unit would then be Gray (or similar veteran C), Davis/Amir (assume one will be traded), JJ (or Kleiza, depending on matchups), Forbes (or upgraded backup SG such as C.Lee or possibly DD gets bumped to the bench) and Marshall.

I think the Raptors could still quite easily "hit the ground running" with 3 rookies in the rotation, as long as they are as talented as JV, MKG and Marshall and especially if one or two of them are groomed on the 2nd unit.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              True, but it's unlikely they'd all be on the court at the same time.

I could see a starting lineup of JV, AB, MKG, DD and Calderon being quite balanced, especially if DD finally improves or is upgraded (ie: Batum, Mayo, Gay anybody?).

The second unit would then be Gray (or similar veteran C), Davis/Amir (assume one will be traded), JJ (or Kleiza, depending on matchups), Forbes (or upgraded backup SG such as C.Lee or possibly DD gets bumped to the bench) and Marshall.

I think the Raptors could still quite easily "hit the ground running" with 3 rookies in the rotation, as long as they are as talented as JV, MKG and Marshall and especially if one or two of them are groomed on the 2nd unit.
              My comment assumed Marshall, DD, and MKG all started.

If Calderon was kept, next year wouldn't be too much of an issue. Long term (i.e. beyond next season), absence development of skills, it would be an issue.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                My comment assumed Marshall, DD, and MKG all started.

If Calderon was kept, next year wouldn't be too much of an issue. Long term (i.e. beyond next season), absence development of skills, it would be an issue.
                Fair enough. I think DeRozan and Calderon could both be starting next year, or used as trade bait and replaced, depending on the direction BC wants to go and what moves are available to him. There is some serious talent potentially available to upgrade DeRozan (Batum, Mayo and possibly even Gay). Calderon and his expiring contract could very well be in even higher demand than he was this year and an acquisition like Nash would certainly make him expendable.

Regardless what happens with DeRozan and Calderon, I think if the Raptors were ever able to draft both MKG and Marshall, they could very well be set at 4/5 positions long-term with Valanciunas, Bargnani, MKG and Marshall. Batum, Mayo or Gay would seem to fit so well into that starting 5!

This is going to be a long, painful wait for the draft lottery, draft and offseason!

Comment

• Chad Ford breakdown top 10 prospects in the FinalFour

I only copied the top5 cause their more raptor related

This year's Final Four is an NBA scout's dream. Five of our top 13 players are competing against each other in New Orleans this weekend, and a total of 15 players in our Top 100 are playing this weekend.

Here's a quick guide to the 10 best NBA prospects in the Final Four.

1. Anthony Davis, F/C, Kentucky

I'm not sure there's much left to say about Davis. He's had a phenomenal freshman season and is the best defender in college basketball, and barring a catastrophic injury, he'll be the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft on June 28.

2. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, F, Kentucky

If the pingpong balls fall the right way on lottery night, Kidd-Gilchrist has the chance to be the second pick in the draft. If it happens, it will be the first time in the lottery era (circa 1985) that teammates are drafted No. 1 and No. 2. Kidd-Gilchrist may lack the typical tools of a No. 2 pick, but his motor, toughness and leadership on the court have made him Kentucky's emotional leader. Scouts think it will translate at the next level, too.

3. Thomas Robinson, PF, Kansas

After two years playing behind Marcus and Markieff Morris, Robinson has finally proved what NBA scouts were saying since his freshman year -- Robinson is the best NBA prospect on a Jayhawks roster since Paul Pierce. Robinson is tough and explosive and tries to dunk everything. Scouts wish he were a few inches taller (he's listed at 6-foot-9). But given his athletic ability, NBA body and relentlessness on the boards, his game should translate just fine.

4. Jared Sullinger, PF, Ohio State

Scouts are still split on Sullinger. Some see a super-skilled big man with a soft touch, great hands and the ability to carve out space in the paint. Others see an undersized, slightly overweight big man who plays below the rim. From game to game, both fans and skeptics can be vindicated. The Robinson-Sullinger matchup on Saturday should be epic. Kansas and Ohio State already have played once this season, but Sullinger sat out the game with an injury. If Sullinger can outplay Robinson, he might get the boost he needs to move up, even ahead of Robinson, on the Big Board.

5. Terrence Jones, F, Kentucky

On pure talent, Jones should be No. 3 on this list. The problem for Jones (and coach John Calipari and a gaggle of scouts) is that Jones doesn't bring it every night, or even consistently in a game. When he does, his long wingspan, perimeter skills, rebounding and shot-blocking all scream top-five pick. Jones has been playing really well in the tournament. If he can keep that up for the next two games, he may end up helping his draft stock more than anyone in the tourney. Right now he's No. 13 on our Big Board. But Jones' landing somewhere between Nos. 5 and 10 is not out of the question.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    3. Thomas Robinson, PF, Kansas

After two years playing behind Marcus and Markieff Morris, Robinson has finally proved what NBA scouts were saying since his freshman year -- Robinson is the best NBA prospect on a Jayhawks roster since Paul Pierce. Robinson is tough and explosive and tries to dunk everything. Scouts wish he were a few inches taller (he's listed at 6-foot-9). But given his athletic ability, NBA body and relentlessness on the boards, his game should translate just fine.
                    I thought the Paul Pierce line was pretty big but, than I can't really think about good players that have come out of Kansas and really succeeded other than The Truth.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• How exactly do people think that the Raptors could get MKG and Marshall? MKG is likely to be gone before their pick, and Marshall is probably not a good enough prospect for where the Raptors pick in R1, and certainly won't last until R2. So, to get both MKG and Marshall the Raptors would have to trade up in the lottery (maybe as high as #2) and get another late lottery pick to get Marshall. I'm not sure that they have the assets to do that.

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                        How exactly do people think that the Raptors could get MKG and Marshall? MKG is likely to be gone before their pick, and Marshall is probably not a good enough prospect for where the Raptors pick in R1, and certainly won't last until R2. So, to get both MKG and Marshall the Raptors would have to trade up in the lottery (maybe as high as #2) and get another late lottery pick to get Marshall. I'm not sure that they have the assets to do that.
                        could be a problem if we weren't winning the lottery. i saw colbert last night and got some great lottery tips. we should be golden. now we need to turn our two second round picks into the number 2 and 10-15 and we get mkg and marshall along with davis.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          I thought the Paul Pierce line was pretty big but, than I can't really think about good players that have come out of Kansas and really succeeded other than The Truth.
                          What about Wilt Chamberlain?

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                            What about Wilt Chamberlain?
                            He was alright I guess. Lol jks,I mean since Paul Pierce got drafted.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Haven't heard much about Lamb or Moultrie recently.

Thoughts?
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                                Haven't heard much about Lamb or Moultrie recently.

Thoughts?
                                They're not in are range
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X