• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• word
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/...ks-top-10-pick

Over the weekend, I made visits to three California gyms to watch workouts -- one in Santa Monica, another in Reseda and a third in Oakland on Saturday.

The three workouts were all different. Over 80 general managers and NBA scouts attended a group workout for the Wasserman group on Friday morning. The workout was headlined by Terrence Jones, Fab Melo and Tony Wroten Jr. The workout was drill-oriented and didn't involve any actual competition.

On Friday afternoon, I was in the 360 gym to watch trainer Joe Abunassar work out his clients -- Terrence Ross, Arnett Moultrie, Jet Chang and Terrell Stoglin. After the workout, I was able to see the top prospects compete in some competitive four-on-four action alongside and against NBA players Austin Daye and Rasual Butler.

On Saturday, Aaron Goodwin invited me to Oakland to watch a grueling private workout for Damian Lillard.

Here's what I learned:

• If the draft plays out the way we expect it to, nine of the top 10 players in the draft will come from five of the biggest programs in college basketball -- Kentucky, UConn, North Carolina, Kansas and Baylor.

The 10th will be from lowly Weber State. The Big Sky school is located 30 minutes north of Salt Lake City and isn't known for producing draft picks (its best player was Willard Sojourner, a second-round pick of the Chicago Bulls in 1971) -- let alone lottery picks. So pardon Lillard if he thinks that his sudden thrust into the limelight is a bit surreal.

Yes, he was the second-best scorer in college basketball last season at 24.5 ppg. Yes, he ranked with the lowest turnovers per possession (one turnover every 8.9 possesion) for any point guard in the country. Yes, he ranked No. 2 in John Hollinger's college PER at 33.58 behind only Anthony Davis. And yes, that efficiency ranking was especially impressive because Lillard used 25 percent of his team's possessions while Davis used just 15 percent.

Nevertheless, juniors from Weber State who were lightly recruited out of high school and missed almost their entire sophomore seasons with injuries aren't supposed to be lottery picks.

"I was surprised," Lillard said when I asked him how he reacted when we pegged him as a lottery pick in Feb. 21. "I was hearing second round. Maybe late first round. When you come from a school like Weber State, that's the most you can hope for. But lottery? Don't get me wrong, I think I belong. I just didn't think anyone else did."

Lillard owns a solid jump shot and showed that again during workouts.

Three months later, virtually everyone else does. The majority of scouts and GMs I spoke with this weekend had Lillard in the lottery. Many had him in the top 10. Most believe he'll be the first point guard taken on draft night. Once they see him in workouts, the few teams that are holding out are likely to come into the fold.

Lillard put on one of the most impressive workouts I've seen in a while. The grueling 1½-hour session had Lillard going full speed for the entire workout. He ran the length of the floor repeatedly, shuffled side to side with medicine balls, shot jumpers with a huge tether around his waist and, as the sweat poured down his face, he just kept hitting shot after shot after shot.

There are very few holes in Lillard's game. He's got a terrific jump shot with excellent range. While some scouts have questioned just how athletic he is, his agent, Aaron Goodwin, told me that he's consistently measuring out with a 40-inch vertical. On Saturday he was still exploding off the floor for emphatic dunks, even at the end of the workout. Lillard is quick with the ball and has a tight handle. While we didn't get to see this in the workout, he's a willing passer who is comfortable finding the open man.

Above it all, everyone who knows him says that the most impressive thing about Lillard is his work ethic. He is constantly trying to improve his game, and it's hard to get him out of the gym. He looked like he was incredible shape and has clearly been putting in the work to make sure teams know how good is.

It's tough to blame him.

Lillard was a late bloomer who didn't get much attention from scouting services or high-major recruiters (he was ranked as the No. 48 point guard in his class by ESPNU). He played AAU ball for the Oakland Rebels, not the elite Oakland Soldiers club. When Weber State came calling, Lillard was happy. After a terrific senior year in high school, a few major programs started to show interest, but Lillard felt like Weber State would be the best fit.

"I didn't want to be someone's backup plan," Lillard said. "I wanted to go to a team that wanted me to play an important role. I felt like Weber State would give me the chance to start over and become who I believed I could become. It was a great decision."

Lillard came in and was an instant impact player for the Wildcats. He averaged 11.5 ppg as a freshman and earned Big Sky freshman of the Year honors. As a sophomore, he averaged 19.9 ppg, shot 43 percent from the field and 39 percent from 3 -- earning him first-team, all-Big Sky honors and getting him an honorable mention on the AP All-America team. As a junior, he broke his foot 10 games into the season and was given a medical redshirt by the NCAA.

Lillard spent the time off lifting weights and watching game film. He watched all 71 games the Wildcats had played in his time there and returned with both a stronger body and a higher basketball IQ.

Lillard was special as a junior and by midseason a number of scouts were predicting he could be the top point guard off the board on draft night. Lillard is now in competition with North Carolina's Kendall Marshall and Syracuse's Dion Waiters to be the first point guard off the board.

With several teams, including the Blazers, Raptors, Hornets and Suns (and possibly the Jazz if the Warriors fall to eighth in the lottery), on the prowl for a point guard, he could go as high as No. 6 and it's likely that he doesn't slip past 13 on draft night.
      I've been an advocate of Damian Lillard since day one. I've said it before im a fan of toughness but even more of work ethic. You don't succeed in this league if you don't work hard. This dude just works hard and it shows. In the way his gotten better every year. If PJ3 is off the board than Lillards my guy. Make it happen BryCo!
      Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Tue May 29, 2012, 02:25 PM.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Lillard's really starting to grow on me.

Comment

• Here's the whole article

Over the weekend, I made visits to three California gyms to watch workouts -- one in Santa Monica, another in Reseda and a third in Oakland on Saturday.

The three workouts were all different. Over 80 general managers and NBA scouts attended a group workout for the Wasserman group on Friday morning. The workout was headlined by Terrence Jones, Fab Melo and Tony Wroten Jr. The workout was drill-oriented and didn't involve any actual competition.

On Friday afternoon, I was in the 360 gym to watch trainer Joe Abunassar work out his clients -- Terrence Ross, Arnett Moultrie, Jet Chang and Terrell Stoglin. After the workout, I was able to see the top prospects compete in some competitive four-on-four action alongside and against NBA players Austin Daye and Rasual Butler.

On Saturday, Aaron Goodwin invited me to Oakland to watch a grueling private workout for Damian Lillard.

Here's what I learned:

• If the draft plays out the way we expect it to, nine of the top 10 players in the draft will come from five of the biggest programs in college basketball -- Kentucky, UConn, North Carolina, Kansas and Baylor.

The 10th will be from lowly Weber State. The Big Sky school is located 30 minutes north of Salt Lake City and isn't known for producing draft picks (its best player was Willard Sojourner, a second-round pick of the Chicago Bulls in 1971) -- let alone lottery picks. So pardon Lillard if he thinks that his sudden thrust into the limelight is a bit surreal.

Yes, he was the second-best scorer in college basketball last season at 24.5 ppg. Yes, he ranked with the lowest turnovers per possession (one turnover every 8.9 possesion) for any point guard in the country. Yes, he ranked No. 2 in John Hollinger's college PER at 33.58 behind only Anthony Davis. And yes, that efficiency ranking was especially impressive because Lillard used 25 percent of his team's possessions while Davis used just 15 percent.

Nevertheless, juniors from Weber State who were lightly recruited out of high school and missed almost their entire sophomore seasons with injuries aren't supposed to be lottery picks.

"I was surprised," Lillard said when I asked him how he reacted when we pegged him as a lottery pick in Feb. 21. "I was hearing second round. Maybe late first round. When you come from a school like Weber State, that's the most you can hope for. But lottery? Don't get me wrong, I think I belong. I just didn't think anyone else did."

[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez
          Lillard owns a solid jump shot and showed that again during workouts.
          Three months later, virtually everyone else does. The majority of scouts and GMs I spoke with this weekend had Lillard in the lottery. Many had him in the top 10. Most believe he'll be the first point guard taken on draft night. Once they see him in workouts, the few teams that are holding out are likely to come into the fold.

Lillard put on one of the most impressive workouts I've seen in a while. The grueling 1½-hour session had Lillard going full speed for the entire workout. He ran the length of the floor repeatedly, shuffled side to side with medicine balls, shot jumpers with a huge tether around his waist and, as the sweat poured down his face, he just kept hitting shot after shot after shot.

There are very few holes in Lillard's game. He's got a terrific jump shot with excellent range. While some scouts have questioned just how athletic he is, his agent, Aaron Goodwin, told me that he's consistently measuring out with a 40-inch vertical. On Saturday he was still exploding off the floor for emphatic dunks, even at the end of the workout. Lillard is quick with the ball and has a tight handle. While we didn't get to see this in the workout, he's a willing passer who is comfortable finding the open man.

Above it all, everyone who knows him says that the most impressive thing about Lillard is his work ethic. He is constantly trying to improve his game, and it's hard to get him out of the gym. He looked like he was incredible shape and has clearly been putting in the work to make sure teams know how good is.

It's tough to blame him.

Lillard was a late bloomer who didn't get much attention from scouting services or high-major recruiters (he was ranked as the No. 48 point guard in his class by ESPNU). He played AAU ball for the Oakland Rebels, not the elite Oakland Soldiers club. When Weber State came calling, Lillard was happy. After a terrific senior year in high school, a few major programs started to show interest, but Lillard felt like Weber State would be the best fit.

"I didn't want to be someone's backup plan," Lillard said. "I wanted to go to a team that wanted me to play an important role. I felt like Weber State would give me the chance to start over and become who I believed I could become. It was a great decision."

Lillard came in and was an instant impact player for the Wildcats. He averaged 11.5 ppg as a freshman and earned Big Sky freshman of the Year honors. As a sophomore, he averaged 19.9 ppg, shot 43 percent from the field and 39 percent from 3 -- earning him first-team, all-Big Sky honors and getting him an honorable mention on the AP All-America team. As a junior, he broke his foot 10 games into the season and was given a medical redshirt by the NCAA.

Lillard spent the time off lifting weights and watching game film. He watched all 71 games the Wildcats had played in his time there and returned with both a stronger body and a higher basketball IQ.

Lillard was special as a junior and by midseason a number of scouts were predicting he could be the top point guard off the board on draft night. Lillard is now in competition with North Carolina's Kendall Marshall and Syracuse's Dion Waiters to be the first point guard off the board.

With several teams, including the Blazers, Raptors, Hornets and Suns (and possibly the Jazz if the Warriors fall to eighth in the lottery), on the prowl for a point guard, he could go as high as No. 6 and it's likely that he doesn't slip past 13 on draft night.

• The other player that really wowed me this weekend was Washington's Ross. Like Lillard, Ross is going to be impressive in workouts. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he worked out better than all of his competition at the 2-guard spot.

Why?

Video: Terrence Ross
          Chad Ford says Washington's Terrence Ross was impressive during workouts and could get the edge over other shooting guards like Dion Waiters, Austin Rivers and Jeremy Lamb. Watch here.

Ross, Waiters, Jeremy Lamb and Austin Rivers are all in a bit of a scrum right now and, in a number of instances, will work out directly against each other for teams in June.

Ross has several advantages that should pop in workouts. First, he's the tallest of any of the shooting guards (he's measuring 6-foot-6 in socks, 6-foot-7 in shoes). He's also the most athletic. Ross is an explosive leaper, a blur up and down the court and has great lateral quickness. He's also the best shooter of the group. Not only did Ross shoot the highest percentage from 3 of any of the four players mentioned, he rarely missed anything in his workouts at 360. He's got a quick release and deep range. For a team looking for a pure shooter, he's by far the best choice in the lottery.

Ross also looked terrific in four-on-four play. His team was matched against Daye and Butler, and Ross more than looked like he belonged playing against and, later, with them. He was much more aggressive than what we saw at Washington, he hit a number of impressive 3s and had several highlight reel dunks in the course of the game. Had Ross played with a more conventional point guard last season (one that didn't dominate the ball as much as Wroten did), he could've put up much bigger numbers.

Waiters and Rivers are more aggressive scorers than Ross. Lamb is longer and may be the best defender of the group. It's clear that Ross needs to get stronger and work on his in-between game. But for a team looking for size, athleticism and shooting at the 2-guard position, he could be the guy. I think his range, like Waiters, Lillard and Lamb, is probably 6-13.

Impressing bigs

• I was also impressed with Mississippi State's Arnett Moultrie. Two things immediately stand out about Moultrie.

[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Frank Franklin II
          Arnett Moultrie is one big man whose status could see some significant draft day helium.
          First, he's an explosive leaper. He gets off the floor as fast as any big man I've seen this year, and during several drills he was getting his head above the rim. One of the things that Moultrie possesses that's important in the NBA is "second jump ability." He doesn't need any headway to leap that high, and after coming down he can spring right back up again.

Second, I think he's much more skilled as a perimeter player than he showed at Mississippi State. He has a very nice touch on his jump shot to 18 feet or so and has range all the way to the 3-point line. Though he showed more of this ability when he was at UTEP, it's still there.

Factor in that he is 6-11 and was the SEC's leading rebounder last season (no, it wasn't Davis), and those are four pretty strong factors in Moultrie's favor.

Moultrie needs to get stronger and improve his defense (he should be blocking many more shots than he did last season) and post play. But there is a lot there to work with for a team that needs an athletic big. I think he could be one of those players that rises dramatically as we get closer to the draft. Athletic bigs almost always do, and Moultrie isn't nearly as big of a project as most big men that get taken that high. I could see him going anywhere from No. 9 to No. 20 on draft night.

• Syracuse center Melo was the most impressive player I saw during the Wasserman workout in the morning. He has clearly slimmed down and was moving much better than I'd ever seen him at Syracuse.

He shows a solid touch around the basket and he can hit the 18-footer pretty regularly as well. He's going to be a big-time project for whoever takes him, and there will always be concerns about his dedication and motivation. But given his size and athletic ability, he might be worth the risk somewhere in the 15-No. 25 range.

• Because of a scheduling conflict, I only got to see the first 15 minutes of Jones' and Wroten's workouts.

What I saw consisted mostly of some shooting and ball-handling drills. Jones looked good in that setting, Wroten struggled.

I spoke with a number of scouts who stayed for the whole thing and they were generally impressed with Jones (though Jones has an uncanny ability to turn off some with his body language). He looked like he was in good shape, is a very good athlete for his size and has terrific length. He also shot the ball well. Scouts continue to raise questions about what position he'll play in the pros, but overall people were generally favorable about his workout.

Jones will be one of the most difficult players to peg in a mock draft. Some teams feel like he's a top-10 pick. Others have him just outside the lottery.

[+] Enlarge

Steven Bisig/US Presswire
          Tony Wroten struggled during his workout, which could affect his draft status.
          I wish I could say the same thing about Wroten. He has enormous potential. I think he could be one of the top five players in this draft based on pure talent. He's got uncanny floor vision, has great size for his position, is a terrific athlete and can be a lock-down defender when he wants to be. Scouts that love him see some Gary Payton and some Rajon Rondo in him.

However, he struggles as a shooter and the workout I saw only highlighted those struggles. In the first 15 minutes he missed a lot of shots, and scouts tell me it didn't get much better as the workout went on. Teams also questioned whether he can effectively run a NBA team given his penchant for dominating the ball. The talent is there, but is the desire?

I don't know the answer other than to say that scouts said virtually identical things about Rondo leading up to the 2006 draft. Rondo's shot was broken, he struggled to get along with his head coach, teams had major issues about his ability to be a leader on the floor, and Rondo (who was ranked No. 6 on our big board) slipped all the way to No. 21 on draft night.

Watching Rondo on Saturday during Game 7 against Philadelphia, you can see that scouts were right about some of his issues. He's still not a great shooter and at times takes himself out of the offense because he's afraid to shoot it. He can still be wild and turnover-prone. His struggles in the locker room with Doc Rivers have been well-documented. But he's also able to take over a game on both ends of the floor. His strengths ultimately outweigh his weaknesses.

If Wroten is going to succeed, he's going to have to model his game after Rondo's. He'll have to work on his jumper to the point that it's a potential weapon when it needs to be. He'll have to think pass first, focus on defense and take over the game offensively only when his team needs him to. He got away from all of that as a freshman and it caused him and Washington problems all season.

• Kentucky's Doron Lamb had a solid workout as well. But seeing him a day after watching John Jenkins, I think Jenkins might edge ahead of Lamb in workouts. Both are terrific shooters, but Jenkins brought a lot more intensity to the workout.

• I thought Wisconsin's Jordan Taylor shot and played really well in his workout Friday.

• Maryland's Terrell Stoglin can really score the ball. For a team looking for some instant offense off the bench, he should probably be in the conversation in the second round.

• BYU-Hawaii's Jet Chang played well in the four-on-four play with Ross, Moultrie, Daye, Stoglin and Butler. He got to the basket, hit some big shots and played tough defense on Ross on several occasions. A number of teams are bringing him in for workouts over the next few weeks. He's got an outside chance of making the second round.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Bradley Beal Workout

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...-beal-workout/

That's a pretty smooth jumper. He may not have a superstar ceiling, but this kid can flat out shoot.

EDIT: He's also been working on his handles knowing that he'll have opportunities to play the point at times.
            Last edited by Nilanka; Tue May 29, 2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Chat with Chad Ford

rick (ny)

Is Lillard the real deal?

Chad Ford (2:08 PM)

I think so. Just saw him workout in Oakland on Saturday. Very few weaknesses in his game right now. Good body/athlete. Excellent shooter. Quick off the dribble. A willing passer. Hard worker. Very efficient. Rarely makes mistakes. He needs to become an even better passer, but he's really talented. And this is one of those times that the advanced stats all support his production on the court. Great guy too. If he were at a major program, he'd be a top 5 pick.

Neal (Chicago)

Chad, In an article last week you stated Dion Waiters could be a real steal of the draft. Where do you see him going ?

Chad Ford (2:13 PM)

Was very impressed with Waiters. A number of NBA scouts and execs that I trust have been telling me he's the sleeper of the draft for over a month. He's not going to be a wow guy in drills. But when they get to 3-on-3 as part of the workouts, he's a bulldog. Really knows how to get to the basket and score. Jump shot improving. I think he's ready right away for the NBA. I think his range is something like 6-13.
              Bob (Lansing)

Is Perry Jones III a SF or PF?

Chad Ford (2:32 PM)

SF. I think if a team drafts him thinking he's a 4 or a 5, they will be disappointed.
              Jeffrey (Sacramento)

Who does Perry Jones III compare to in the NBA? If he decided to work hard

Chad Ford (2:40 PM)

Paul George?
              Matt (Toronto)

Marshall or Lillard? Both top 10 picks?

Chad Ford (2:46 PM)

Lillard. I think he's somewhere between 6-13. Marshall between 8-20.

Most interesting one!
              Bradley (Regina SK CAN)

What is on Brian Colangelo's mind going into the draft?
              Chad Ford (2:36 PM)

Needs a player who can go get to the basket when his team needs a bucket. That's why I moved Dion Waiters to No. 8 in my mock. I think he's a good fit for them.
              Dion Waiters ()

You think I'm better prospect than Lamb is for the Raptors?

Chad Ford (2:38 PM)

Yes. Lamb is closer to DeRozan. I think Waiters can even play some point at the next level.
              Brandon (Virginia)

Gut feeling who gets the Number 1 pick tomorrow?

Chad Ford (2:55 PM)

Forget gut feelings ... I'm going to our Lottery Mock Draft. Will play it once and then predict the lottery ... here we go ...

Chad Ford (2:57 PM)

1. Bobcats2. Cavs3. Raptors So I have Bobcats taking Anthony Davis. Cavs taking Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Raptors taking Brad Beal. There you go. That's my prediction. Oh, and one other thing, that order screws the Warriors ... who now fall to 8th place with the pick going to the Jazz.
              Well that does it were definitely in the top 3. Your heard it here.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• great he just jinxed us
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...-beal-workout/

That's a pretty smooth jumper. He may not have a superstar ceiling, but this kid can flat out shoot.

EDIT: He's also been working on his handles knowing that he'll have opportunities to play the point at times.
                  That is one beautiful stroke
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• i could watch Beal stroke it for hours
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      But he's long! Long! With upside! I think where NBA teams often fall down in the draft is disregarding a players' productivity at the college/euro level. You can snap up good value late in drafts by taking productive players with lower ceilings who have been passed over for projects with upside. The reality is that most of the "upside" guys never pan out but NBA GMs and coaches will "coach 'em up" cause they're smarter and better than everyone else.
                      THe key word here is late. Lottery picks that have had long, productive college careers generally turn out bad. See also: Adam Morrison, Kandi Man

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                        great he just jinxed us
                        real
                        in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• "What is on Brian Colangelo's mind going into the draft?

Needs a player who can go get to the basket when his team needs a bucket. That's why I moved Dion Waiters to No. 8 in my mock. I think he's a good fit for them."

I can agree with that. It would be nice to have a player who can isolate and get to the basket late game.
                          in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• koncept wrote: View Post
                            "What is on Brian Colangelo's mind going into the draft?

Needs a player who can go get to the basket when his team needs a bucket. That's why I moved Dion Waiters to No. 8 in my mock. I think he's a good fit for them."

I can agree with that. It would be nice to have a player who can isolate and get to the basket late game.
                            Is that also a knock on Bayless? Or an indication that he doesn't factor into the Raptors future plans? I mean, that is supposed to be Bayless' greatest strength, right?? I certainly hope so!

Comment

• Only in these forums is Bayless considered a real basketball player.

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
                                THe key word here is late. Lottery picks that have had long, productive college careers generally turn out bad. See also: Adam Morrison, Kandi Man
                                For every Adam Morrison there are 10 Stromile Swifts. There are tonnes of lottery busts who weren't college seniors....

Comment

Working...
                                X