2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...l=1#post104935

A little Ross flashback from November.... post 499 of this thread and there is a write up in the link as well.

There wasn't a lot of love around here for that highlight. I thought it was incredible - still do.

Comment

• Are you going to watch "Strokin' it!" matt?
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• unfortunate 500th post. i'm sorry guys.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Chad Ford's interview & footage at Jeremy Lamb's workout. Is it just me or does he seem much bigger?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7992014
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            Found the Draft link from last year here:
            http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ptors-to-draft

Looks like the majority were favouring Kanter (I included).
            Thanks.

Comment

• Btw...Here's one of the links once we knew we had the 5th pick.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ight=%235+pick

Comment

• Can someone please remind me again why putting Demar at the three spot is a good idea? Thank you :/

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  Chad Ford's interview & footage at Jeremy Lamb's workout. Is it just me or does he seem much bigger?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7992014
                  Yeah, he looks a lot bigger

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                    You're seriously comparing Beal to Waiters? Seriously?

1/ Beal was clearly the best player and leader for Florida as a Freshman-- not a quality 6th man. Scoop Jardine led Syracuse for a reason, pretty much every major play started with the ball in his hands not Waiters.

2/ Waiters MIGHT be able to play PG, at the end of the season Florida's coach allowed Beal to run plays. In other words, it's not a maybe he CAN play the PG.

From Waiter's nbadraft.net profile:

That's not me, go have a look.

You can't seriously be comparing a workout stud like Waiters with a gamer like Beal. At no level has Waiters had the amount of success or responsibility that Beal has had. Comparing the two is ridiculous.

Strengths:
                    *Great athlete
                    *Attacks the rim
                    *Instant offense
                    *Can handle the ball
                    *Good passer

Weaknesses:
                    *Doesn’t have ideal size
                    *Jump shot has to get more consistent

NBA projection:
                    Waiters has been projected as a mid first-round pick, no small accomplishment given the fact he’s had to prove what he can do by coming off the bench for two seasons. He’s got NBA-level scoring ability and has continued to improve his defense. Though Syracuse played a zone, Waiters was a key because of his length and strength.

2011-12 Season:
                    Waiters struggled in his reserve role his first season and for a time considered transferring. But he decided to stay, was convinced to embrace the job and excelled this season. That was good training for the next level, because he’ll fill the same role for a year or two. Waiters doubled his scoring average from his freshman year, improved his shooting percentage from 41 to 48 percent and tacked a couple of percentage points onto his 3-point success ratio. He was an easy choice for Big East sixth man of the year.

Key statistics:
                    12.6 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.3 tpg, 1.8 spg, 24.1 mpg, .476 FG, .363 3PT, .729 FT

Cool statistic:
                    Waiters is known as a guy who can put points on the board in a hurry. In a regular-season game against Manhattan, he scored 17 points in 19 minutes. He scored 18 in 24 minutes against Kansas State in the NCAA Tournament, and averaged 23 points and 28 minutes in Big East Tournament games against UConn and Cincinnati.

Reminds me of:
                    DeShawn Stevenson

What Insiders Say:
                    Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim
                    “Dion really plays best and is most explosive when we try to keep his minutes in a certain area. But Dion is getting better. He's still got a ways to go defensively, and that's normal. He's still just a sophomore. But he's had a tremendous year, and he's had a great role on this team.”

Syracuse guard Scoop Jardine
                    “Dion really worked hard this whole year and accepted his role and played it to the best of his abilities. That's what made our team, when he accepted his role and was able to come off the bench and play it well. When our best scorer is coming off the bench and accepting his role and leaving his ego at the door for the team to be great, you can't ask for a player to do more. He's always been talented since he's been young. And the thing I like most about him is he's really … he's doing less talking and more playing and really performing at a high level.”

What Outsiders Say:
                    Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan
                    “He's a very good player. Strength, scoring, rebounding, athletically as good as there is around.”

Wisconsin point guard Jordan Taylor
                    “He's instant offense. He can fill it up. He might be … it's arguable he might be the best scorer on their team. He can hang 20 on you in two minutes if you let him get going.”
                    http://www.nba.com/draft/2012/prospects/dion-waiters/

Scoop Jardine even said he was the best scorer on the team. If you ever watched the games you would of seen that he was thier go-to player at the end of the game.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Strengths:
                      *Smooth
                      *Good athlete
                      *7-foot wingspan
                      *Midrange jump shot
                      *Capable 3-point shooter
                      *Can use his length on defensive end
                      *Good rebounder
                      *Good free-throw shooter

Weaknesses:
                      *Has to get bigger and stronger
                      *As many shots as he took during the season, there were still times when he could have been more aggressive to score

NBA projection:
                      Lamb has been projected as a lottery pick. He’s got the scoring tools and the athleticism to be a primary option at the next level. His offensive game is multi-faceted, and defensively, he can be a lockdown guy because of that wingspan of his and his ability to cover ground.

2011-12 Season:
                      Lamb put himself in good company, becoming just the sixth sophomore in Connecticut history to get to the 1,000-point plateau (the others were Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, Caron Butler, Khalid El-Amin and Ben Gordon). Lamb led UConn in scoring, reaching double figures in 31 games. He was a first-team All-Big East selection.

Key statistics:
                      17.7 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 1.7 apg, 2.0 tpg, 1.2 spg, 0.6 bpg, 37.2 mpg, .478 FG, .336 3PT, .810 FT

Cool statistic:
                      Lamb’s average of 37.2 minutes played per game was second in school history, just behind record holder Kemba Walker’s 37.6 and just ahead of Tate George’s 37.0.

Reminds me of:
                      Reggie Miller

What Insiders Say:
                      Connecticut assistant coach George Blaney
                      “That kind of basketball allows you to spread your wings [after Lamb led the USA Basketball U19 team with a 16.2 scoring average last summer.] It was a carryover from what he did in the [2011 NCAA] tournament. … He can score so many ways.”

What Outsiders Say:
                      Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg
                      “A complete guard. He's got the size, he's got the length. He's got the athleticism, and he's a tough kid to stop. We have to mix up coverages on him, I think, to try to keep him off balance a little bit. He's going to pose a lot of trouble for us.”

Columbia coach Kyle Smith
                      [B]“He's just a really good player. He's a really gifted offensive player. Very smooth, graceful. Here's how good he is: I had no idea he had 30. I knew he played well, but I didn't know he had 30. The game is very easy for him.”[B]
                      I really like this Reggie Miller comparison
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Jonathan Givony joins RaptorBlog Radio to discuss a number of NBA draft related topics. Really raptor related! They talk Lamb, Barnes, PJ3 and Dion Waiters(compares him to Tyreke Evan and say is definitely in the mix at 8) Marshall and JV!

http://www.draftexpress.com/podcast/...Podcast_52.mp3
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I got a feeling 5-7 will pick drummond barnes pj3 in no particular order, leaving us with sullinger/lamb/lillard/dionW/marshall
                          in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Don't paint us all with the same brush.
                            Sorry Matt, but I've included word some. Nevermind, I've just noticed that after spending some time in these forums.
                            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...l=1#post104935

A little Ross flashback from November.... post 499 of this thread and there is a write up in the link as well.

There wasn't a lot of love around here for that highlight. I thought it was incredible - still do.
                              I've actually been getting a feeling the last few days that Ross is going to be the best player out of this draft when we look back 5-7yrs from now.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                                Sorry Matt, but I've included word some. Nevermind, I've just noticed that after spending some time in these forums.
                                It is really only about 3 or 4 guys over and over.

Comment

Working...
                                X